cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Well I Finally Did it (for the last time)

loriisanEx
0 9 149

I quit smoking yesterday, and am 1 full day smoke free working on two.  My blog title reflects the fact that although I have tried many times over the years, this is my last try, as I am DETERMINED to succeed.  It was very humbling to return to this site for the first time since 2008 and see that if I  had kept it up, I would be almost 1000 days smoke free by now. 😞    Since then, I have tried cold turkey at least 2 times, which was a miserable fail and also Chantix, which worked, until one day I woke up crying for no reason and realized I had becom progressively more depressed every day (very scary).  The rest of the time I have either been in denial, or totally disgusted with myself for not being strong enough to quit.

But what's past is past, and I can only look forward.  A wise person once said change happens when the pain of changing outweighs the pain of staying the same, and for me that is so true. 

When I compare the pain of changing (cravings, sleepiness, irritablility, weight gain) 

With the pain of saying the same (shortened life span, health worries, constant sore throat, guilt, disappointing my family, bad smelling clothes and car, being a slave to cigarettes)

There is really no contest.  I do realize that I will need help on this journey, so for the first time, I am actively joining a support group.  I hope to make work with other ex-mokers out there to beat this addiction once and for all!

L

9 Comments
wishingstar

Hi and welcome Back !!!!! Re- Read this book if you have not.   It’s been a tremendous help to me, This Is my 4th and last quit. I laughed when they said read the book. How the heck is that going to help when nothing else did, believe you me, I tried several different methods to quit..  What, I learned from my last quit, NO TYPE of Tabaco is safe. 30 days free went out the window. The book and this group is a God send.

The quit battle it’s no so hard when you have the right tools, because while you’re fighting necodemon, he will test you. Smokeless angel is your plan, distraction, and self- talk. Read the blogs to. Write them. I found inspiration from fellow exers,. If they can do it!! Staying smoke free, even when they could be having the worst day or their life or a very stressful one, the chose to stay free

You can do this, educating yourself first,  is key. The book will open your eyes to the addiction

You will be embraced with support, this group it’s beyond awesome!!

Allen Carr’s Book

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

Renee 36 days

loriisanEx

Thanks!  I will check it out!!

YoungAtHeart

Even though you have already quit, our materials will help ensure a successful quit.  The most important thing you can do to start is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your mind and body. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read.  I see Windancer already gave you the link above.

As well, read the sections on this site,and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might also want to visit quitsmokingonline.com, and whyquit.com.

The idea is to distract yourself through the cravings.  Don't let that thought rattle around in your head alone!  A crave will last about three minutes whether you smoke or not.  Go for a brisk walk, march in place, do a few jumping jacks, clean a drawer, do a crossword puzzle, play a computer game...Here are links to lists of 114 things to do instead of smoke if you need fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/03/03/additions-to-the-list-o...

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head CANNOT be:  "I want a cigarette.  No!  But - I WANT a cigarette.  NO!"  Instead, it needs to be "I want a cigarette.  Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it!

Stay close to us here and ask for advice and support as you need it. We all here want to help you be successful!

Nancy

Quit 7/4/12

Legend

Read all that you can on this addiction it will help you.

Best wishes to ya. 

linzhamil

Today is day 1 for me and it is very motivational to read your post!  Stay the course and we will stay strong together!

phyllis-12-7-15

You found the best community for support. Follow their advice as I am with day 1 almost done. WTG on freeing ourselves from  addiction.

joyeuxencore
Madyzsgocka

Well, welcome back. It's neat that I saw your blog, because I too am on my 2nd day again, and have been away from the site for a year after blowing a 13 month quit. We'll do this together!

loriisanEx

I have now been quit for over a year, and I owe it all to Allan Carr's Easyway.  I guess it was the right message at the right time because it made so much sense to me and it was EASY to quit.  I came back to get he link to the book to share with a friend who has emphysema and needs to quit asap.  Now if I could just lose the 30 lbs I gained since I quite, I would be golden!