cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Weight loss

Darksheila0622
1 5 49

weight gain has been a big problem with my quit and me getting older.  I have gone to a class and started using My fitness pal.  I have been counting calories and I have lost 10 to 11 lbs in 3 weeks.  The goal was to be 202 by Christmas but the track i am on I may be under 200 before Christmas.  

5 Comments
Puff-TM-Draggin

We count days up here, not pounds down.  You're looking for Weight Watchers.  Just messing with you.  Congrats on the weight loss.  What is a fitness pal?  Is that one of those wrist band thingies?

Congrats on all your days free and pounds lost!

YoungAtHeart

Good to see you, Sheila! 

Sounds like you are on a good path!  We have told folks who are newly quit to not worry so much about weight gain.  Thanks for stopping by the testify that you CAN lose it once you are well on your way in your quit!

I am happy for you!

Nancy

Thomas3.20.2010

When I quit smoking it was like a floodgate opened up - of appreciation for the one and only body I have! I haven't used diet so much as nutrition to help me on the way. 

Now my nutrition consists of no salt, no processed sugar, healthy low fat contents with lots of Fruit and Veggies. For sweeteners I have switched to agave and natural honey. For salt sub I use fresh herbs for spicing. I avoid trans fats and stick to polyunsaturated fats like omega 3.

Mostly I have a saying - if you can't make it fresh yourself it's probably bad for you! 

That means no restaurant foods, No canned or boxed foods. No processed meats. 

By focusing on nutrition rather than diet I have made rewarding decisions instead of punishing choices. 

I also have learned to appreciate the benefits of exercise. I do 30 minutes aerobics daily and 3 days a week of resistance traing as well as yoga and pilates 3 opposing days of the week. I see the immediate benefit of better breathing and get the unforseen body reformation from extra fat to lean muscle mass as well as improved balance and flexibility and fewer aches and pains!

The third leg of my healthy picture is sleep. I make sure that I get 7 to 8 hours of sleep every night. Good sleep hygiene keeps me physically fit and mentally sharp. 

Unhealthy weight gain happens when we forget to appreciate our bodies and the hard work they do every single day. It's a highly interwoven part of closing our eyes to health for the sake of Addiction. We have to learn to rework the entire mind/body/spirt connection. 

Quitting smoking allows us to do that!

Best wishes on your weight plan!

Merry Christmas!

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Darksheila0622

Congrats on exceeding your goal!

@puffthemagicdragon

My Fitness Pal is one of many websites and Android/iOS apps to help people track their activity and calorie intake.

tjanddj

You are stacking up those smoke free days. Congratulations on your goals for a healthier life. I started my health journey a couple of years ago and it has been one of the best things I ever done. It truly is freedom!