Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Weekend may test my strength

anntann
0 9 32

This is the weekend before my quit.

I had thought I would stay home, take it easy, build my inner reserves.

Instead, today on saturday, I have accepted an all girls dinner date. Luckily all non (1 reformed) smokers.

Sunday morning too I am off to  an event which includes a film, then lunch  bash (with other pals. My particular bunch is non & reformed smokers, but there wil be others at the bash who I may know, that still smoke.

I am not sure I am doing the right thing. But I am also excited to test the waters.

One thing I am definately not gonna do is - have that glass of wine.

Any opinions welcome 🙂

9 Comments
JonesCarpeDiem

I aways tell people no more than one drink then have water. Vicks under the nose is a great reminder of your quit when you must be around smokers. Get up and walk away for a few minutes if you are feeling overly tested.

anntann

Vicks? Who wud have thunk it....

Now its going to be part of my QUIT KIT 🙂

Daniela2016

And try to keep practicing: "can I hold a little longer before my next"?  

I do not know where you are in the cutting back process, but if you are telling yourself that, somehow, you do not feel so frustrated not smoking compared to if you give yourself a certain "allowance" for the day.

And even if you have activities outside the house this weekend, try to finish Allan's book before your quit day.

It did help me a lot at the beginning of my quit, and then the help was taken over by our friends here at EX.

I am past 6 months of freedom after nearly 40 years of slavery, and I would not be here if not for our friends at EX!  As I feel today about it, it is a mix of pride for doing it, gratitude for my EX friends, and a very strong resolve this is it, I became an EX and will never be a smoker again, and will do whatever it takes to keep it this way.

You are young, what a wonderful decision for your health, your future, your kids, you wellbeing, congratulations!

Image result for we can do it girl hair

Barbara145

I think your week-end sounds lovely.  Enjoy!

JACKIE1-25-15

You can do this.  Enjoy yourself.  It is good surrounding yourself with non smokers.  You are not losing anything.

c2q

Guess you are building your OUTER reserves, eh? Have you tried the daily pledge group? That can do a lot to boost your conviction. Commit to not smoking tonight. Don't worry about about anything else.

tjanddj

You're quit date is on the 20th? So your goal this week end is to not drink or not smoke? I'm sorry but I am just a little confused on what your goal is for this week end. Just want to know how I can help or encourage you along.

elvan

Pledging daily is a good reminder once you quit.  I found being around friends who smoked to be pretty challenging in the beginning but then I just talked and talked about EX and about how I was doing and how I had quit.  I suspect I drove more than one of my smoking friends completely crazy.  The first get together I went to with a bunch of them was an outdoor pool party.  There were two women I knew had quit and I planned to just sort of stick to them.  Imagine my disappointment when I found out that they both started smoking again.  The party was a birthday party for a very good friend who smokes, I stayed until I found myself starting to reach for a pack of cigarettes on the table that was my brand, sitting there with a lighter.  I knew I was playing with fire...it had been six months since I had smoked.  During the time I was there, I had hung a brand new white blouse on the back of my chair.  It was a really classic white one white blouse with a lovely design.  I picked it up and made my excuses and left.  I put the blouse on the bed post and didn't even look at it until a few days later when I went to put it on to wear with something else...just imagine my surprise when I found a large burn hole in the back.  OUCH!  Good reminder not to smoke...that was my BLOUSE,  I cannot imagine what my poor lungs look like!

Once you quit, stick with it, don't test yourself...stay smoke free and if you drink, like Dale says, limit yourself, it is too easy to slip when you drink.

shashort

Sounds like a great weekend plans. My suggestion would be to just tell yourself to wait a little longer, each time.  Remember your quit date is not here yet so don't sweat it if you smoke.  The worse thing is going long periods of time and find yourself craving and then keeps yourself in constant withdrawl.   I did the same thing at the beginning before my quit.  Don't overthink it and over practicing is not needed.  So just delay smoking a little longer would be my suggestion.  If you don't smoke throguh it then that is great, but if you do that is okay to because you haven't quit yet. I couldn't restrict the amount of cigarettes I could have for the day as I would find myself worrying about how many I had left.  Never failed I always ran out at end of day and smoked more anyway.  I did taper down but by using the delay method.  When I wanted to smoke I would tell myself I will do this particular chore or whatever first, then I would smoke.  Then I got done with the chore and would say well I will wait a little longer.  This is really the way I quit.  I kept delaying and bam I had 24 hours under my belt.  You CAN do this.  Look at Days page as I believe he is the one mentioned in on his page and I tried it.  When quit date gets here then you will be more prepared and then keep that quit no matter what.    Keep reading, learning about addiction, and writing blogs so we can help.