cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

We see people come and go continually

JonesCarpeDiem
12 16 314

Some of them are vibrant powerful effective communicators.

I know they have the best intentions and inspire the other new members.

They certainly Inspire myself and the other elders.

It is disappointing to all of us when they disappear from the site

likely, because they've gone back to smoking.

Talk, especially self talk, puts us directly on the path

to what we are telling ourselves.

It is very powerful but it can be good or it can be bad.

Keep talking to yourself but, keep saying the right things.

Don't tell yourself you want to smoke. You will make that happen by doing so.

Walk The Talk, And, Keep Walking The Talk!

144-ways-to-walk-the-talk-adapted-from-the-book-2-638.jpg

Time Is The Healer!

16 Comments
Mike.n.Atlanta

Agreed Dale. Walk the talk. To me it doesn't matter how much you think you know about this addiction, If you're not humbled by this quitting experience I don't think it's being done right. You have to expose yourself to your own weakness & that's something that most of us are not comfortable with & truthfully not very good at...self criticism.

Keep on keepin on my friend,

M n @

JACKIE1-25-15

I was thinking about those who come and go, or start and stop. I won't give up hoping and praying that one day they will have the courage to stop smoking.  Even if they do not come back to EX as long as they are free is my hearts desire.  Life happens as we all know but we don't have to use anything happening as an EXcuse to quit on your quit.  We can do this. 

Mandolinrain

Amen

elvan

I know some have left in the past few months and they were very, very vibrant people who disappeared.  I don't know if they went back to smoking or not but I do know that whenever someone comes and then leaves, it is sad...God knows I struggled for a long time and I started here in May of 2013, I had quit then and I quit again in October of 2013, neither of those quits were successful.  I had to look the grim reaper in the eye to quit for good and even then, I struggled.  I remember writing a blog about time to walk the talk...it was not easy but, by God, it was worth every single uncomfortable moment!

Daniela2016

Yes Dale, these thoughts of smoking are present in my mind at times.  It is up to me to tell myself to answer my own doubts with a simple, but efficient: "yes I used to smoke, but I don't do that anymore".  It felt good last night when I answered the question "have you smoked in the last 12 months" when renewing my health insurance with the company, and put down a big, fat, NO .  Most often, when I feel fragile, I come back here.  Here is the place where I got the strength to continue when it was the hardest, here I learned everything I know today about addiction, and blogs like yours today were my lifelines so many times!  We can only hope newer, or older EX will keep coming back for the daily dose of life being dispensed by this awesome group of people!

Posamari

Some may go on vacation.

Like me-- I've been visiting daughter in Baltimore past 10 days.

Some may take a break from social media.

Some may feel they don't need the support anymore.

Some may work a lot of hours.

Some may have other things going on in their lives we are not aware of.

Some may be in a quiet or reflective mood and not really feel like 'talking' or participating for a time.

Some may have a lot of irons in the fire and simply do not have time each day to check in.

Some may be shy and an introvert, more comfortable viewing things from the sidelines.

Some may have simply moved on.

Does not always mean they have 'slipped' with their quit.

Patty70

I found my forever quit right here on this website.  The support of the people here and the education has resulted in 7 years now and I continue going strong.  I am very thankful to everyone here for that.  I have popped in here a time or two in these past years.  I am so glad to see familiar people still here adding to the support.  I really should have kept it up and tried to add my own experiences and support.  Thankfully, you have people like Jonescarp who showed me the way to freedom.

elvan

Patty70‌ It's never too late to add some comments now and then...people who have long term quits really have a LOT of wisdom to share!  So glad you chose to comment here, it is good to hear from you.

Ellen

Daniela2016

You are absolutely correct, and some may have many of these things you listed, and still coming back regularly. 

We can only hope they did not return to smoking, and understand and accept not everyone who used this community to quit, feels the same level of gratitude, and has the same ability of giving back.

It's just how life goes...

Nix

I'm walking the talk Dale. Some of us pop by now and then to key an eye on the site  

Great post as ever 

susan_m

Thank you for this perspective. As someone who took a prolonged break from this site, I appreciate it very much. ❤

elvan

Posamari‌ Well said.  There is nothing wrong with taking a break from the site, I know that I feel like it sometimes but then when I try...something always pulls me back...you are absolutely right that when someone is not active, it does not mean they are smoking.

Daniela2016

Where have you been Nix‌?

I missed you!

Nix

I pop in every now and again  Daniela2016‌ quietly observing , thinking of you all frequently   

Daniela2016

Not good enough for me Nix‌, give me a sign when you're here, so I can princess wave hello back to you

missellen

This was very helpful to read this morning, especially after yesterday's bumpy afternoon/evening.  Thank you./blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2017/11/28/we-see-people-come-and-go

About the Author
Hello, My name is Dale. I was quit 18 months before joining this site and had participated on another site during that time. I learned a lot there and brought it with me. I joined this site the first week of August 2008. I didn't pressure myself to quit. HOW I QUIT I didn't count, I didn't deny myself to get started. When I considered quitting (at a friends request to influence his brother to quit), I simply told myself to wait a little longer. No denial, nothing painful. After 4 weeks I was down to 5 cigarettes from a pack a day. The strength came from proving to myself, I didn't need to smoke because I normally would have smoked. Simple yes? I bought the patch. I forgot to put one on on the 4th day. I needed it the next day but the following week I forgot two days in a row I put one in my wallet with a promise to myself that I would slap it on and wait an hour rather than smoke. It rode in my wallet my first year.There's nothing keeping any of you from doing this. It doesn't cost a dime. This is about unlearning something you've done for a long time. The nicotine isn't the hard part. Disconnecting from the psychological pull, the memories and connected emotions is. :-) Time is the healer.