cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

We need to feel great about ourselves

ReallyReal
10 15 157

Yes, we do need to tell ourselves that we are amazing.  That's what I am thinking this morning.  The very fact that we made the decision to quit smoking, vaping or dipping is a really big deal.  We knew we would be facing the discomfort, oftentimes more than just discomfort, of withdrawal and we decided, Yup, I am going to do this thing.  We all have very good reasons to quit and we took that first big step.  Our culture is so much about immediate gratification, and that is what addiction is about too--feed the hunger for nicotine to get that boost and stop the craving right now and who cares about the future consequences.   But each one of us said, "No more, nicotine, you can't have me.  I am done with you."  Please take a second and realize you are amazing and sticking with your quit will bring so many good things into your life.  You will not regret being free.  This all came into my mind today because I was hit with the fact that I can really be a wimp, I mean I don't handle pain and discomfort very well at all.  And yet, I somehow had the fortitude to put up with and overcome the very uncomfortable experience of nicotine withdrawal and the later cravings that, honestly, still come up at times.   For me, my faith played a big role, but so did educating myself on my addiction--that helped tremendously.  I just wanted to write this to encourage you all that you have made a great decision.  It can be tough for awhile, but it is so worth it and is a decision to rejoice in and be proud of ourselves for-we really are awesome.  And it is doable!!  I congratulate you, this is BIG!!

15 Comments
About the Author
I am 59 years old and love my four dogs and two cats, all strays I couldn't turn away. I love to be outside in my yard, watching the birds or puttering around in the dirt. I am so grateful that I let go of those inner voices that kept telling me, It is too late to quit smoking, or, Why quit now? I am so looking forward to being smoke-free.