Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

We long-time quitters worry more about your quits than our own

JonesCarpeDiem
0 9 24

See, we know the pitfalls.

We know how to get through the hard moments.

We've learned how to step around the smoking thoughts.

I myself never think of smoking even though I'm here everyday talking about it.

I have disconnected myself from tobacco.

That's what we are trying to help you with. We want you to that point.

Is quitting easy? It can be if you get your thinking in the right place.

Is quitting uncomfortable? It has its moments especially in those first four months.

Can anyone do it! A resounding YES!!

9 Comments
kate8
*I wish I could get this to my fb page. I have family and friends I need 2 see and read info when they visit. I am 6 months free now 🙂
kate8
*Sorry. I ran out of time. Wanted to say Thank You for your blogs.
kris54

I'll be SO HAPPY when I get to the place where I REMEMBER ALL the time..... that I don't smoke.  I STILL have occasional moments of... "I'll have a smoke right now" but then 'remember' that I am a quitter!!  YIPEE!!  Thank God for all you 'long timers'.... you all got me through the first 38 days....... heading into NML!

rmcfadden88

Thanks for another great blog, Dale.  I was just sitting here last nite doing nothing in particular and the thought "I think I'll have a smoke" just popped into my head.  It felt weird for a sec cause I knew something was wrong.  Then remembered that I quit! YAY! but then I wondered for a minute why the thought came to me like that.  Really strange.  May have something to do with the smoker in my life who was lit up at the time, ya think? It does make it harder, but I am determined to stay quit!

Thanks for being here for all of us!  P.S. what, again, is NML (n0man's land) and when do you hit it and for how long?  Just wondering.  Thanks

JonesCarpeDiem

you start in after a month and it can last just under or over the next hundred days

barbara42

i know how you feel mcfadden, when i quit 4 yreas ago, my husband still smoked, he still does, makes it a little harder, but it makes you stronger, keep that thought in mine, !!!!!

pat108

Dale, thanks for a great blog.  I am hitting the point where smoking is not constantly on my mind, cravings are very few and far between and I can get the thoughts out of my mind quickly.  Thanks for being here...you and the other wonderful people on this site is what helping me to remain quit.

joy36

YES !!! WQell put, Dale  I'm to that point of my quit. Pay-it-forward. I had lot's of help, when I first got here, now, I'm here to help other's Joy

kellie3

I agree with everyone, Great Blog Dale.  

I am drawn back here from time to time.  Sometimes I blog and other times I just do some reading.  I haven't had a crave or even a thought for years.  I do know though I would have had a much harder time quitting without this site and folks like you.  I give you long timers all the credit and appreciation for continuing to come here and help others.  It is very noble.  Thank you.  🙂

About the Author
Hello, My name is Dale. I was quit 18 months before joining this site and had participated on another site during that time. I learned a lot there and brought it with me. I joined this site the first week of August 2008. I didn't pressure myself to quit. HOW I QUIT I didn't count, I didn't deny myself to get started. When I considered quitting (at a friends request to influence his brother to quit), I simply told myself to wait a little longer. No denial, nothing painful. After 4 weeks I was down to 5 cigarettes from a pack a day. The strength came from proving to myself, I didn't need to smoke because I normally would have smoked. Simple yes? I bought the patch. I forgot to put one on on the 4th day. I needed it the next day but the following week I forgot two days in a row I put one in my wallet with a promise to myself that I would slap it on and wait an hour rather than smoke. It rode in my wallet my first year.There's nothing keeping any of you from doing this. It doesn't cost a dime. This is about unlearning something you've done for a long time. The nicotine isn't the hard part. Disconnecting from the psychological pull, the memories and connected emotions is. :-) Time is the healer.