cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Was I a closet smoker? Were you?

JonesCarpeDiem
2 4 122

My daughter didn't know I smoked until she was 15. By the time she was born, I had been smoking a pack or more a day for 20 years.

The actors on live TV and the  doctors in commercials of the 50's telling us how good smoking was became a contradiction to reality as studies about harm caused by smoking came out a few years before I began. They didn't stop me.  

During my 40 year smokefest, I did things to mitigate the negative effects by choosing to smoke 100's with new style filters and only smoked them half way down.

When I was no longer singing in Smokey rooms and off the road, I eventually limited my smoking to daylight hours with only an occasional smoke after 7pm.

I never smoked around my daughter.

I used to go outside at dusk when I was recovering from severing my foot and sit on the hood of the car to have one cigarette. One night she walked out and saw me. I explained that I had started smoking at 17.  She said she always thought the smell had something to do with my construction sites.

We all want the best for our children. She was the only person who did not know I smoked.  I thank God she grew past the point of experimenting with tobacco. 

What was your experience?

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/surgeon-general-announces-link-between-smoking-cigarette...

4 Comments
About the Author
Hello, My name is Dale. I was quit 18 months before joining this site and had participated on another site during that time. I learned a lot there and brought it with me. I joined this site the first week of August 2008. I didn't pressure myself to quit. HOW I QUIT I didn't count, I didn't deny myself to get started. When I considered quitting (at a friends request to influence his brother to quit), I simply told myself to wait a little longer. No denial, nothing painful. After 4 weeks I was down to 5 cigarettes from a pack a day. The strength came from proving to myself, I didn't need to smoke because I normally would have smoked. Simple yes? I bought the patch. I forgot to put one on on the 4th day. I needed it the next day but the following week I forgot two days in a row I put one in my wallet with a promise to myself that I would slap it on and wait an hour rather than smoke. It rode in my wallet my first year.There's nothing keeping any of you from doing this. It doesn't cost a dime. This is about unlearning something you've done for a long time. The nicotine isn't the hard part. Disconnecting from the psychological pull, the memories and connected emotions is. :-) Time is the healer.