Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Want the "Easy" button?

ohiosheltielady
0 9 11

Story People message in my inbox:

ready to ride as soon as they decide whether they want to go in the direction they're all facing or whether that'd be too easy

So, where is the easy button in this quit?  Where is the quick and fast and straight and flat road to instant success?  I don't want to take the long and winding scenic route thank you very much.  I do not like hanging my head over cliffs at dizzying heights.  I also do not enjoy tromping through mud that is knee deep.  I don't care too much for thick vegetation that I have to whack away at with a machete knife.  And I am not interested in swampland either.  So, show me the fast and easy route to success.

We like fast and easy in our world.  We have worked very hard to make our world fast and easy.  Every product, every service, everything we design and coordinate is done with the ultimate goal being:  Fast and Easy

We are a society that does not want to roll up our sleeves and work hard.  The exercise equipment that I watched on QVC last night proudly claimed that it would give fast and easy results.  No need to work hard at getting that buff body, just buy this machine and you will have nearly instant results without breaking a sweat. 

The quit goes against everything our world produces, it goes against everything our society strives for, it goes against the grain in our very core!  We do not want to hurt.  We do not want confusion.  We can't afford to look like bumbling idiots in this competitive market and workplace!  Our relationships aren't all that strong to begin with and testing those waters could bring on a personal catastrophe.  So, thus the failed quit.

But, you're worth it.  You are worth the risk.  You are worth the pain.  You are worth the inconvenience.  You are worth the strain in the relationship.  You are worth all that hard work.  And one day you look back and say to yourself that living without an addiction is a good life indeed and the road was worth it!  Every single step was worth this freedom.

9 Comments
dawn4

LOVE IT!   Thanks for sharing this thought today, OSL!

Kinterralynn

Oh heck, there isn't an Easy button????   Don't we all wish there was? The thing about 'easy' is that we cannot appreciate the results.  Its like giving a teenager a car... he/she won't treat that car with respect, they won't care near as much about keeping it maintained because they have invested nothing in it.  But if they have to pay for that car, if they have given up their free time to work so they can have the money to buy that car... everything changes.  The teenager thinks twice before being reckless, they check the oil, the air the tires and so on.  

Quitting smoking is a lot like that.  If we could just shut off the addiction with no work involved, where is the sense of accomplishment? Where is the respect for ourselves?  

I like this blog!

Have a wonderful smoke-free day!

Ha

laney4

GREAT thought and post. Approaching double digits and it's been hard since my body has not bounced back like it would have 15 years ago.  Nevertheless, our bodies are incredible mechaanisms and will bounce back.  Just not gonna be fast and easy.

kimberlyght

You are so right about the sense of accomplishment !  I've smoked for 25 years, and it is like loosing a best friend.

judy41

Wow - what a post.  Have you considered writing for a living?  Maybe you do.  15 days here.

Thanks for all you do!

sedwards

That was amazing!!! Probably they best thing I have read on here, and without doubt the thing I agree with the most.  This is so true, and not just in our addictions but in life.   I am so proud of myself for what I have done and it is because I have worked SO HARD for IT!!

Thank you for this , Congrats on 45 days!!

butt-kicker

Boy, you are so right about that! I tried all those "easy" methods,,lol,,Now I am digging deep and feeling that raw, vulnerable, sometimes lost feeling. Trying to find my way without messing up this time. 

We are worth all of the pain and Thanks for reminding me in words. Well put! It's true what they say,,"If it doesn't kill us, it'll only make us stronger" or No pain, no gain,,lol

I feel a little stronger each day that passes. I look forward to having a day when smoking doesn't creep into my mind once, just one day of that would be amazing to me!

Love your Blogs!

Big Hugs!

Diane

Breakinchains

You know this reminds me (for some strange reason) of when I was young. My  father would make the family sit at the dinner  table for  45 minutes while having dinner. I of course wanted to get out of  there and go play with my friends, or watch TV, or do something I considered more entertaining. But today, as an adult, I  look back at that and see that my  father  knew exactly what he was doing. The world has gotten itself in such a big hurry, there seems to be no time to just sit down, relax, and have a conversation over dinner. I can see now that in our busy lives it is important to take that time, not even one hour a day, to just slow down, take a breath, relax, and relieve some stress from our daily  lives. My  fiance says I eat slow, I guess I have my dad to thank for that, lol.

theresa29

Very well put, and I can not wait until I can look back and be proud of getting over this addiction.