cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Virtual Reunion - EX 8

Strudel
0 115 2,078

Register by Wednesday, July 22nd to be included.

The date/time of Sunday, July 26 at 6:00 PM (EST) has been selected for our virtual EX 8 Zoom gathering! So - MARK YOUR CALENDAR! 

For the past several years, we have gathered informally for a reunion. It has been an amazing experience for each EX’er who has attended! Unfortunately, we had to cancel EX 8 which was scheduled for May in Virginia Beach. We have decided to do a virtual EX reunion on Zoom! 

We will need to ask people to sign up ahead of time in order to properly plan for this event. When we have the list of people attending, Mark will send you an email with the details needed to join on Zoom. You can sign up here in this blog. As long as you would like your invitation to go to the email you used to sign up for EX, that is all you have to do. However, if you would like to have the invitation sent to a different email address - please send me a private message with that email. (DO NOT post email addresses here.) 

This will be an informal event - just as our “real” reunions have always been. If you need any instruction regarding adding the Zoom app on your PC. Laptop, tablet, or phone - just let me know and we will get that info to you. It is best to add that app before the meeting.

The folks listed below are a part of the planning committee for the reunion - so, if you have any questions or concerns, please let one of us know. 

Thanks! Please respond below if you would like to attend! (Or - you can reply to the email I will send to previous attendees.)

Kathy Strudel 
Laura Michwoman

Giulia Giulia

Jackie JACKIE1-25-15

Brenda Brenda_M

Nancy SkyGirl

Mark Mark 

Tags (2)
115 Comments
djmurray

I will be there!!  Looking forward to it!

Giulia

Oh boy oh boy.  Count me in!

Sootie

I'm in!!!!! Soooo looking forward to this!

minihorses

I wish I could but I don't have a webcam! I would have been able to go to VB though. One of these days I'll get to meet some of you!

Michwoman

Raising my hand!!!! I'll be there!

Strudel

Hi Julie. I sure Wish we can find a way for you to make it. Do you have a “smart phone”....or is there a way you could borrow someone’s tablet for a few hours? 

Giulia

minihorses‌  You can connect to zoom with just voice, I believe.  You can still listen and speak.  What I would suggest is to go to the zoom website, read as much as you can, and then figure out what's best for you, given your webcam limitations.  Like with quitting, the more we know and understand about how to accomplish our goal, the better able we are to achieve it.  

Jennifer-Quit

Count me in!

meWisconsin

Sounds like fun. I will be there.

Terry

Maki

I sure would like to be with ya all . I know it would be a fun time  but maybe next time .

Looks like zoom etc may be our only communication for a while .  I really do feel I know many of you and all of you will be in my thoughts . 

AnnetteMM

Signing up now, but can't guarantee I won't forget by 6 pm that day! I know, terrible.

But I'm willing to give it a go!

JACKIE1-25-15

Are you going to SING!!!!

JACKIE1-25-15

I am going to set an alarm.  If I can remember. lol

Strudel

Good idea Jackie - I set alerts for almost everything! 

TriGirl

Yes! Yes! Add me!!!

KMC56

My email is good to send invitation!!

Can i join in late...?

Kathy

Giulia

Yes I'm going to SING!  Haven't picked up my guitar since the last reunion.  So this is good.  Otherwise I'd become so chopless my fingers would forget their frets and my vocal chords would rust up!  Can't guarantee how it will SOUND however!  lol

minihorses

Thanks!  I'll definitely do that today.  

Strudel

From Zoom -

Do I have to have a webcam to join on Zoom?
While you are not required to have a webcam to join a Zoom Meeting or Webinar, you will not be able to transmit video of yourself. You will continue to be able to listen and speak during the meeting, share your screen, and view the webcam video of other participants. 

Strudel

I will check with Mark about coming late - hopefully that will work! 

ShawnP

Count me in

Daniela2016

I'll join, thanks to all organizers!

Maki

Although I may not be able to zoom there is a possibility of joining you by phone , IF we don't get disconnected that is .....my phone disconnects quite often even talking to my kids ( it's old ) and my computer even older .. I beginning to feel I'm the young one haha. 

Can someone please send me the info in case I can possibly connect by phone . Thanks .m

Strudel

We will definitely send you the info! 

MarilynH

Hummm I might be interested by phone as well, I've been checking out the Zoom apps there's several to choose from Zoom USA, Zoom Canada and several others.

drreese5pg

Yes,  I will attend.  This will be my first

Strudel

Hmmm....let me check on which one Marilyn. I will get back to you. 

Pops

Hi, not to sound like a know it all...but Amazon has dozens of different webcams available, both with and without microphone.  They range anywhere between $39 to $199...depending on how elaborate you want to go.  Most all of them are simply plug and play via a USB port and Violla!  Just a thought...you can im me & we can talk about it offline and maybe I can help you pick a good one for your particular computer set up.

Pops

Pops

All rightie then!!!! You can count on me to be there...Crusty for sure.....

Pops

minihorses

I searched Zoom to see I could participate by phone in only and unfortunately It is a separate fee unless the host pays for it and then takes the necessary steps to be included. I also don't have social media accounts. I'tt be there in my thoughts!

Strudel

Marilyn - Mark said that he thinks either one will work. Go ahead and get one app and then we can test it out ahead of time to make sure it works!   

Strudel

Let me check with Mark about joining by phone.....we will be using EX’s Zoom account.

Strudel

I checked with Mark and he said that yes, you will be able to come late.

minihorses

I seem to recall that. I'll check it out again. Thanks!

MikeBurke
Mayo Clinic

Would love to attend if that’s ok

mike burke

MarilynH

Thanks Kathy, I'll check it out and see about downloading one of the app....

minihorses

I intend to take part if my phone in works the way Zoom says it will. Would be nice to 'meet' some people I've been writing to on the board!

Strudel

Here is Mark’s response: 

“We have a paid account so she can join via her phone or her computer. A webcam isn't necessary. If she has a microphone on her computer then she can connect for free. If you have a phone you will not be joining via a toll-free number but if she is dialing from a cell phone there isn't anything "toll-free" any more as cell phones don't really have local vs long distance. So she'd be using minutes if she was on a minute by minute plan. If she was on a plan that was unlimited minutes she's not paying anything additional for calling into the number to hear everyone. The benefit to using the computer speaker is that she can see who is  talking as there will be an indicator on the screen for everyone who has created an account on zoom.  I do encourage that people do create accounts on zoom so that when they connect people can see who is talking. People who dial in, their phone number will show. If you're on a guest account on your computer it may just say Guest 1, Guest 2, Guest 3 etc.  I'm not entirely sure as 98% of people who I interact with have accounts or they dial in and I happen to know the number they're dialing in from.”

I that helps. Let me know if you need help..... Hopefully Mark is going to be  able to do a short practice session ahead of time for people new to Zoom to check it out. 

Maki

Ike's , this is kinda a bit complicated for me guys sorry .

I belong to another one in which I get webinars . It is so much easier .

I will be thinking of you all though . Who knows maybe by next year I might know how to use zoom . 

I love the way you guys make things happen . What a great community here . 

Strudel

Great Mike! 

Strudel

Maki - Perhaps if Mark does a trial run - you can check it out and see if it will work for you. (I don’t give up easily!) We will be in touch. Take care! 

DavesTime

I would love to attend!  Is it going to be a virtual cruise this year?   Looking forward to meeting some of you in person

(virtually!)

TriGirl

It's really so, so easy! If my mother can zoom, anyone can!

Strudel

Great - so glad you can make it! 

JonesCarpeDiem

You can purchase a USB HD webcam with a built in microphone online for $15-$30.

Just make sure you know it's being shipped from within the US so you get it on time.

usb webcam with microphone | eBay 

JonesCarpeDiem

I'll give it a whirl

(minus a front tooth, mind you.)     

Strudel

Great Dale! 

minihorses

I'll be there one way or another. Still researching the best way to participation w/ Zoom's app. I do have really good headphones with a microphone so that might be a good way to participate.  I'll be there virtually no matter how I manage.  Looking forward to seeing some special people that have helped me quit and stay quit for the last 22 months so far!

Julie

TaracaX

I would love to attend!

Strudel

Great! 

About the Author
I live in Greensboro, North Carolina. I have 2 cats - Monet and Holly. I retired from teaching special education in 2004 and then taught part-time until 2013. I quit smoking on June 12, 2010 after smoking for 40 years! I am amazed daily - still - by the glory of freedom!