cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Update to 2nd chemo treatment

smorgy8513
1 19 45

Went yesterday and (of course) they take your blood first....so glad it is through my port and not poking a vein....and blood has to be "good" or they won't give you the treatment.

My hemoglobin is fine!    YEAH.

But WBC had dropped dramatically and that means that I'm open to getting infection.     Another test (can't remember the name) that they watch shows how my bone marrow is doing and that dropped too much too.    If that gets too low they will give me a blood transfusion.

Well, at first they said that if I was short of breath or overly-fatigued maybe should wait a week.     I did lots of stuff in house yesterday so, of course, I was tired.     But no shortness of breath so they checked with dr (not mine, he was out).        They think that my dr was "pushing" the highest to get the most benefit from the one med I had last week and so it took a toll.      Plus I haven't been eating and lost 6# (how I would have loved that in the past) and I'm not supposed to lose right now....too soon.

So, had treatment, promised to eat, promised to take Boost or Ensure.    Have to take temp each morning and if it gets to 100.4 call them and will probably go to hospital for a day and antibiotics.

And nurse said I can be NORMAL!!!     That means lunch with family and friends, don't have to wear mask.....just "stay away with kids with runny noses!"      But wash my hands a LOT!

With all this said I feel that I am blessed.        

I have thought so much about Betty, her diagnosis came so close to mine and has progressed so much faster.

Which just goes to say.....

NEWBIES......YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE TO THIS.      

STOP TODAY AND STAY STOPPED!

Well, I'm going to balance check book, (fun!?), see if I feel up to going to post office, call and cancel TV service (can't afford that, will just keep internet!)

I will find a blessing today........

Because that is how I will get through each day.

Today........you ALL are my blessing!

Appreciate hearing from you.........know that when things are struggling for you I listen and  pray and think about you.

Sharon

19 Comments
jonilou

Oh Sharon, the quote above is beautiful as is your post. Such positivity is wonderful to see and think about when we may be struggling with whatever is causing pain. Thank you for praying for us. This is such a special thing for you to do, getting in touch with the One who understands all and can really help us. Thank you and don't overdo today!

Barbara145

So good to hear from you.  You are in my prayers.  What a lady you are.

JonesCarpeDiem

Many Hugs To You!

nikki77
you are in my heart and prayers!!
YoungAtHeart

Sending gentle hugs and prayers your way.

You are a very brave and uplifting example to us all.

Nancy

Thomas3.20.2010

God Bless You as you move through this Day!

My Prayers are with you!

((((((((((Sharon)))))))))))

Daniela2016

Thinking of you Sharon, take it easy today, so many good news in your post!

Be well!

TerrieQuit

Take it slow, Sharon, I know you want to get unpacked, but please take care of you!

I am sending prayers and hope! HUGS!

Don't Quit on your Quit!

Ed55

More hugs and prayers!

Magstoyou

Like  Terrie said take care of you Sharon.. The boxes will still be there.

You need to rest and take it easy on your self.

​Continuing Prayers and (((((((((((Hugs))))))))))

Mag  

constanceclum

I have an AA friend with lung cancer. She lives a beautiful alcohol free life but can't (or won't) quit smoking. They have had to stop the chemo for now because she is so under weight. You and Betty are such an inspiration to those of us choosing life. 

Quit doing so much around the house. You need your rest for treatments and healing. I also learned when I worked at Cancer Treatment Centers of America that tumors love sugar so avoid that.

I have a nodule on my left lung and I have been told that there are more positive outcomes with lung cancer than previous but you have to take EXtra good care of yourself.

Love,

Connie

elvan

Love you so much, Sharon.  You are in my prayers every day, I hope that your white count comes up and that you can continue but if you need a break, take the break. Do be careful around kids, with schools starting up, there are always all kinds of viruses coming out.  I hated it when school started when my kids were young because I knew we would begin the Merry-Go-Round of snotty noses, sore throats, etc.  Drink your Ensure or Boost...once upon a time, when I wanted to lose weight, I drank Slimfast and I liked it so much that I drank a LOT of it and gained 7 pounds.  It was delicious.  

Hugs and kisses,

Ellen

Giulia

You are loved.  You need to stay strong so do what they tell you! 

Michwoman

Oh Sharon! I am ashamed that I didn't know about your condition! I have been AWOL for all kinds of "reasons" and I apologize for not being around to help hold you up!

You are and always will be my "Roller Coaster" buddy! Now you have become the ultimate inspiration and encouragement. Few people face life's challenges with the courage you do!

HUGS to you! I miss you and love you!

MarilynH

(((((Humongous gentle lloving cyber hugs for you dear Sharon ♡)))))

NewMe

More hugs and prayers for you. Ditto what everyone has said. Please take good care of yourself and don't try to get so much done. Wishing you a full recovery and a return to good health.

Strudel

You being here with us is such a blessing for us!! Thank you! I have a friend on a similar journey (she was diagnosed last year) - so much of what you describe sounds like what she has been faced with. I often share some of your positive way of thinking with her! 

Take care dear Sharon! Love you! 

meWisconsin

Take good care of yourself Sharon. You are an important part of this community and we enjoy hearing from you. Stay strong.

Terry

Chris265

Sending you a big hug and some positive vibes.

About the Author
Gone but Not Forgotten. RIP I've thought so many times about quitting, done a few quits with the longest being 9 months. Blamed that relapse on my sister because she broke her hip. This time I feel different 8/5/13:The first day of my forever quit. About me? Well, I'm old enough that I am going to semi-retire (work 2 days per week) starting in October, 2013. I have 2 grown sons, 2 older sisters, 2 cats. I'm passionate about my work, love mystery books. I give all the glory for my work, any successes I may have to God and prayer. I have a lot of people praying for me right now and that is where I feel the strength. I also am finding strength, information and support from this site. I hope I can offer some of that to others when I get past the newbie stage. 9/4/13 30 days today!! I've learned so much since I've been coming here each morning (and sometimes at night). Words: choose, not try-----decision----not giving anything up, but gaining---I'm worth so much more than a cigarette. These are only a few of the pearls of wisdom that I've taken to heart. So many great people. I learn something each and every time I come on here. I'm learning about myself too. I teach clients everyday that feelings are feelings and ok to have, but I've always fought that concept myself. I heard when I was little "what have you got to cry about?" so I learned not to cry. If anger was shown it meant going back and shutting the door 10 times quietly or maybe getting the wrath of my parent. So, I learned not to cry, not to feel anger. I'm learning now that I have those feelings and that smoking pushed them aside and down. They are there and real. Now I'm trying to learn how to show and express them instead of going off by myself for a smoke. I have supporters. The biggest pride is what I feel in myself. With each day I wake up I can say "Today is day ____" and I feel proud. Not the kind of pride like I could never fail. That is a realization and why I need to be aware and conscious each moment. No, smoking doesn't solve anything. And today I am proof that I can go on without the crutch of a cigarette! 8/5/17 4 Years Quit!!! Who would have "thunk" it? I never took responsibility for my relapses, always blamed whatever it was that occurred. So, when I quit on 8/5/13 I knew I REALLY wanted it to work, knew that I needed as much support as I could get but I think deep down I was afraid this one wouldn't take either. So, I did as much positive as I could: Chantix, prayer, atomic fire balls, telling friends AND coming to the EX many times throughout the day. The people here became my friends as well as my family. I could share when I was struggling and get encouragement. Have there been struggles in my life since then that would have "caused" me to smoke in the past? Of course! Life goes on and troubles happen even when you don't smoke. I lost my sister who was also my best friend, my diagnosis of lung cancer and the treatment that has gone on since then (dr tells me "not curable, but treatable"). Would smoking make any of those things better? OF COURSE NOT! But when you're an addict the brain tells tons of lies to you..... Newbies: use the resources that the EX provides to you and you will have major milestones too. I thank my family here and love each and every one of you that have helped me! Too many names to mention.