cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Update........bet you thought I lost the fight~

gienie
0 7 10

It's been a tough couple of weeks.  I bought all necessary tools to quit but I am unable to use any of the standard ones. The patches, holy cow,  gave me such nightmares! I put them on in the morning and off just after dinner but still, wow, I was waking up screaming and crying. My mate was scared to death nightly. So they are in the cabinet. The gum,  well, it doesn't work well with dentures at all.  And the lozenges burned my mouth so, they joined the rest in the medicine cabinet.  I then found a vape store that had 100% vg ( I am alergic to pg, found that out last try) and made the drive to the place. I got my vg and several styles of e cigs. I am determined to do this, maybe not as most think I should or many are doing, cold turkey, but I have gone from at least 3 packs a day to less than half a pack today.  And each day is at least one less cigarette,  always more, 1 is my goal.  I have conquered the evening glass of wine , sometimes 2,  trigger. I have overcome the cig after eating.  I quit smoking at night on my last try so that helped.  I don't sleep well, never have,  so I would smoke.  I stopped smoking in my home and vehicle.  My biggest hurdle is going to be the cig when I wake up I can already tell. I have the cleanest house in Florida!  My mate is also trying to quit so its been quite a challenge around here.  Many apologies daily by each of us. This may not be how I am supposed to quit but it is working for me. Sometimes I lose and just have to go get a couple of drags.  But then the guilt takes over and I put it out.  But after 40 yrs of chain smoking I am VERY proud of the last 2 weeks.  I am using  Lemonheads, peppermint sticks,  pretzel sticks and ecigs to replace the triggers. And I want to thank Shawn and Moody for their encouragement. And to let them know I didn't lose the fight and give up.......it's just been really, really tough couple of weeks.

7 Comments
AutumnWoman

I say this only because I was guilty of it until I came here and was put wise:  Paraphernalia will not quit for you; it's only an aid.  I can't tell you how much time, energy and money I wasted thinking that something besides myself was going to get me to quit smoking.  In the words of Glinda the Good Witch of Oz:  "You've always had the power".  The magic's inside you.  Commit to your quit and to your own health and well-being.  You know that you CAN do it, right?

Mike.n.Atlanta

Amen Sheryl. There is no magic bullet. The work is hard but so worth it.

Keep on keepin on,

M n @

JonesCarpeDiem

the first 2-3 weeks are the hardest.

you've cut way back already. that's fantastic

use it sparingly and try to get off of it when you are able.

it mimics smoking rather than unlearning the smoking motions.

moody_9-18-13

WOW! You're controlling where and when you smoke, you're becoming aware of your triggers and avoiding them!! FANTASTIC!

Very good to hear you are cutting back on that 3 pack a day addiction to smokes.

When you get down to less than 5 smokes, you may want to go ahead and quit.

I know what you're talking about, lot of apologies, my husband was a chain smoker and when he and I quit at the same time, I had to tiptoe more than I'm comfortable doing!

Keep moving forward and you will be ready to quit soon!

crazybabi3-2

I wish I had that much insight when I tried to cut back you should be proud of yourself. from 3 packs a day down to 1/2  is awesome and soon you will be at no smoking.

You sound positive which IMO is necessary on this journey.

Jordan-11-1-12

so who is judging you?

Kathy187

Good for you for keeping after it. You have to do this your way because only you are in control. My doctor said that the e cigs are totally unregulated by the FDA, so dosing may not be accurate. Do what you need to do for you!