cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Understanding my reality and testing my will power

djarmstrong2016
1 9 72

Waking up to my sixth day not smoking and I really feel great bout my accomplishments. However I am understanding that I can't expect everyone to take what I am doing into full consideration unless they've went through it or in process of it. They don't realize how easy it is to use conversations or situations as an excuse to smoke. I can tell everyone that I've quit  and I'am trying to avoid certain siuations but since they're not going through it, they can't fully understand it.

Not everyone is willing to tip toe on egg shells for the sake of another persons sanity or will power, eventhough it helps. The goal is to allow everyone to be as natural as possible without using their actions as an execuse to (slip). I don't feel separating myself from people and situations  is the answer simply because I can avoid it now but that same urge will always resurface. It might be the hard way but I'm facing my triggers head on and hoping for the best. I've found jogging and listening to music a way to clear my head before and after a trigger occurs. That's working pretty good so far so I'll take that and find more things to keep my head above water as I continue my journey as an Ex

9 Comments
c2q

Sounds like you got a plan there that will work for you. Way to go. Have a good trip. It's gorgeous here in EXland this time of year. And there's a stash of life jackets just about anywhere you look if you need one.

YoungAtHeart

Most people believe that smoking is just a bad habit - like twirling your hair or biting your fingernails.  While thdse are not easy to stop, either, they are not an ADDICTION - and that is what you are overcoming.  I have read that the addiction to nicotine is stronger than cocaine or heroin, simply because the psychological portion involves thousands upon thousands of associaltions and triggers.

Another great tool to help you fight a trigger is slow/deep breaths, golng slower and deeper with each.  If you are in a place you can also do this, I recommend that you sit and raise your arms straight in front of you with the inhale and let them slowly drop to your lap on the exhale.  This last is not necesssdary, but can multiply the experience.  You might also carry a cold bottle of water with you all the time to sip from as a crave buster,   These are simple and easy to use - and can be a quit saver!

Nancy

Dotgirl_1-28-16

Congrats on your awesome 6 DOF. WTG

Thomas3.20.2010

There is a way to stop relying on willpower which is much more effective. 

It has to do with setting a limit to your own behavior despite any compulsion you feel.

When we make a daily decisio to ive N.O.P.E., when we simply, clearly repeat to ourselves, "I don't do that anymore!," whenwe take our quit one minute at a time honoring our daily pledge to not smoke under any circumstances two wonderful things happen!

First, we no longer focus on being stronger than our craves, triggers, negative people, circumstances, excuses - we simply keep our eyes on the prize of Freedom!

Second, by shutting the door to the smoking option very tight and locking it down, we change our questions to "what do I do instead/" which makes all of those temptations become less because they - being you - know it's not going to work!

That makes quitting so much more doable!

These are the principles not generated by the website sponsors, God Bless Them! - but by the folks who have actually come here and gone through the process of quitting themselves, just like you! These folks told each other what worked for them and added their practice specific wisdom to the conglomerate knowledge of experience!

This is the BecomeanEX Community!

Congratulations on Day 6! 

JACKIE1-25-15

We all have to do what works for us.  However if not necessary we do not have to put ourselves in situations to test our will power. Willpower will not save you from a trigger willingness is the key. Willpower may be an added stress.  Relax in your quit.  You seem to have figured out what works for you. Congrautulations and much success on this journey. 

Daniela2016

It does take a little self training, but using the deep breaths as Nancy suggests, telling yourself "I don't do that anymore" as Thomas told you, or relax in your quit as Jackie recommends - it is also called "riding the crave" much like you would do with a wave.  Don't fight it, don't brace yourself for what is to come using your willpower, rather see it coming, take some deep breaths, and ride with it until it fades away.  It makes for an easier event, something that is not going to leave you tired, exhausted for "resisting" how many will come to you every day.  You will learn and eventually do it automatically and it will get easier the more you use it. It worked for me at the beginning, it still works today at 223 DOF (days of freedom).

Image result for ride the wave

Giulia

I found that when I committed myself 100% to my quit, I didn't need as much willpower because the choice to never put another cigarette in my mouth enabled the acceptance of the journey.  It's the "option to smoke"that makes willpower necessarry.  Eliminate the option, you ease the angst. 

Imagine yourself on a desert island - no cigarettes in site and no hope of getting them.  You stop thinking about them pretty quickly.

Imaging yourself on a desert island - no cigarettes in site but you know a ship may come by with some.  You never stop thinking about that possibility. 

Close and seal  The Possibility Door and you will have an easier time of it.

joyeuxencore

Sounds great my friend...Still. Avoiding certain situations is a good idea for a while. Shoot I didn't read a book for a year because I alwways smoked when I read.  I stayed home on New Year's Eve and hung out on EX because the party I went to every year was full of my smoker frineds. Facing triggers head on is awesome but prioritize and protect your quit! xo

djarmstrong2016

Wow, these are great excercises and you all are right. I feel at this point I might be just testing my self  knowing and proving it to myself over and over. Protecting myself is a must and it sounds alot smarter not to set myself up so much. I've thought about quitting for a while and kinda prepared myself for the challenge. I thank you all and ill try to take it more easy on myself because I dont want a head on collision with a trigger I cant dodge