cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Undecided on quit method

quitting13626
0 12 33

I have set a quit date 6/16/2014, it is my 24th wedding anniversary and the birthday of a dear departed friend that passed away due to complications from lung cancer.

I am torn with a quit method.  I have tried everything except for Chantix, I have tried patches, cold turkey, gum, lozengers, Zyban, every other method under the sun. 

I want to quit, but I don't want to quit.........does that make any sense?  I am seriously considering Chantix, but I am frightened of the side effects. "History of Family mental illness"  I have never been diagnosed with a mental illness but three members of my family have.   I am also considering over the next 17 days a cut down method  It seems to not work out too great.  I have read Alan Carr's book and it did not help me.  

I want to be free, and it does not help that my husband and 23 year old daughter smoke.

I am not sure how I want to approach this quit.  I have been trying off and on to quit since November of 2013.  

I want this to be my final quit...........

Sue

12 Comments
GreenThumb3

My thought is cold turkey or patch I wanted the nicotine out of my body to get over it ,read and learn about the addiction have a positive attitude it's very doable and so worth it it.           

quitting13626

I have read Joel's book, I have been a smoker for 31 years.  I have been seriously wanting to quit, and have off and on for the past 10.  

I know that this really is not an excuse but my husband smoking has made my quits fail everytime.  I know that I make my own quit fail but it is so much harder when you live with a smoker.   

I am leaning toward cold turkey, and cutting down before hand, but I thought I may need to take the edge off, the patch did not work very well for me in my past attemps.

I do not want to rely on a nicotine replacement.  That is why my thoughts turned to Chantix.  The side effects scare the crap out of me though.

JonesCarpeDiem

you just got into no mans land at 34 days. Bet Joel never covered that?

moody_9-18-13

Welcome, Sue! You've come to the right place to get the support you need when you're quitting smoking. 

I don't know anything about Chantix. I quit the old fashioned way, smart turkey and I found that after 40 years of smoking, it worked just fine for me because I was committed to quitting. I made a decision and did whatever it took to keep them away from my face. Now, 253 days later, I feel great and love the freedom. 

I was just reading some old blogs of Sarah's. You might benefit from this one....

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/SarahP-blog/2012/11/20/some-uncomfortable-truths-warning-to...

maraisa

Hello Sue.  Welcome and congrats on your decision to quit. This is a great place to seek support. Everyone here is wonderful and there is a lot of love. 

I have been smoke free for seven and a half months now. I went cold turkey after using the e cig for a year. I gradually cut back on the amount of nicotine until I didn't even want the stupid thing anymore. I too tried everything under the sun. Chantix being one fo them. Please do research on this drug before you use it. I spoke to several doctors who said that it shouldn't be on the market and is one of the most dangerous perscription drugs. 

Good luck

Courage

Hi Sue, I don't like to call it cold turkey, it's a very negative connotation. I put out my last cigarette on March 16 of this year. I suck at math, but I do know I'm coming up on 11 weeks. And I do know and acknowledge that I am addict and that my quit is on a daily basis when I pledge to myself that I will not smoke. I smoked two packs for 40 years and pay/paid the physical price for it. I'm one of the lucky ones where my lung function has gotten better. 

If you want to stop smoking, then commit to do so. I'm in agreement to cutting back, but set a quit date or you can remain in that particular hell as well.  BTW, there isn't a person here that doesn't deal with stress on a daily basis and some much worse than others.

Best of luck, knowledge is the answer

linda258

If you really want to quit .. you will quit.  Approach this from I am not going to smoke and I will succeed point of view.... Once you look at all your options the bottom line is that you decide that no matter what you will not take one puff. 

You have control .. not a quit method and regardless of the aids you select the best method is for you to admit you are an addict and that the only way out of this is to not smoke PERIOD.... 

It is not as difficult as it appears to be and understand that YOU CAN DO THIS!

quitting13626
Thanks everybody for the advice. I am going to cut back till my quit date 6/16 then go smart turkey. Sue
moody_9-18-13

Helpful in those first few weeks....20 Craving Kickers:
Did you know most cravings only last 3 to 5 minutes?
1. Take a deep breath and ask yourself, “What do I really want right now?” Keep asking yourself the question til you figure out what you really need right now (probably not really a smoke).
2. Drink a glass of water.
3. Call a friend.
4. Write down 3 things you are grateful for in your life.
5. Do 25 jumping jacks.
6. Take a 3-5 minute walk.
7. Go brush your teeth.
8. Paint your nails.
9. Get a jar of bubbles and go blow bubbles
10. Play your favorite music and dance for a bit.
11. Write down 3 reasons you want to be smoke free.
12. Chomp on some raw veggies or fruit. The crunchier the better!
13. Cut a straw into the length of a cigarette and chew on it. Or use a cinnamon stick.
14. Get out some paper and doodle.
15. IF you are using one-Make sure you are using your nicotine replacement or medication properly
16. Take 5 minutes and write yourself a love note.
17. Do a crossword puzzle or Sudoku.
18. Imagine how you will feel tonight knowing you made it another day smoke-free!
19. Find a video on YouTube that makes you laugh. Congrats, you made it!
20. Look in the mirror and tell yourself “I love you and I will take care of you”.

moody_9-18-13

Another helpful link on early withdrawal symptoms will help you know what to expect when you quit. https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/09/19/a-repost-early-withdraw...

Please know that you have all the support you need here. Congratulations on your decision! You can do this! 

lois2

if you want it it is your for the taking,  chantix help me. but talk with your DR. first.

summer-07-06-15

You can do this.  Make a committment to stop smoking. Try www.quitsmokingonline.com