cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Um...remember me???

SkyGirl
0 23 17

Gosh, I've been gone so long, I almost feel like a stranger here now.  Not a good feeling.  

But I'm going to ignore that feeling because I know that all of the wonderful people here on EX would give me a hard time for feeling that way...right?

I've still been in and out of the hospital up here at the University of Michigan.  It's an AMAZING health system and far superior to what I experienced back in Reston, VA.  My five children were SO right when they insisted upon moving me back up to our hometown of Ann Arbor, MI, to get the better quality care available in a highly-ranked university medical school health system.

Nevertheless, I do not have a final diagnosis.  It is an auto-immune disease, but unidentified as of yet.  I am finding wonderful relief from the steroid drugs they have been giving me, but I can't stay on steroids forever, as they are so damaging.  I have more tests in the Evidentiary Radiology Department this week.  I hope to heck for a final diagnosis and just the right drug cocktail after that.  

I want SO SO SO much to get my life back.  Teddy, I KNOW you get that.  Thank Goodness that I have a best friend like you to help keep my spirits up.  Even when I don't/can't respond, Teddy keeps sending me texts and I love getting them.  I wish everyone could have a best friend like Teddy in their life.  I'm so lucky to have you in my life, Teddy, and I love you for all you have done to support me during all this nonsense.  No one could EVER ask for a better friend.

When my rheumatologist sees me next, I intend to ask her if I could take a week off from all these crazy medical tests and go to Orlando for a few days.  If she says "yes", I could easily fly down because of my flight attendant benefits, but I'd have to beg a place to stay with someone because I haven't had a paycheck since last July (Oh, dear, woe is me...yes, hear the self-deprecation in my voice...because I HATE to not be the one who is helping others.  This new role of needing help is very very very difficult, practically impossible, for me.

But I want SO much to come to be at the Second Annual EX Get-Together.)  I hope I can find a way to be there.  And just a warning, dear friends...if I can make it, you can bet I will show up with all the attendees' early blogs printed out and find some forum to share them with each other again. Seriously, shouldn't "Sky Girl's Annual Tear Fest" become an inviolate ritual of every annual get-together???????

Okay...long enough blog.  

I LOVE everyone here on EX.  I LOVE my new normal.   Being a non-smoker is something I was not ever sure I could do.  But I DID it.  And ANYONE can do it, if they educate themselves about nicotine addiction and lean on the amazing support you can find here on EX,

With all my love and thanks,

Sky

23 Comments
phyllis-12-7-15

You know you are UNFORGETABLE. We love and miss you. Glad your medical team is doing all they can to give you some relief.

I am feeling the pinch of poverty and have been racking my brain to find a way to get to Orlando too. I have one last ditch option so am wishin and hopin to see you and the rest of the gang.

HUGS

GreenThumb3

Glad to here your getting some relief and they are getting you back on track I hope your nurse lets you go to Orlando you deserve it 

savedbygrace2

Welcome back dear lady!! We love and missed you. Your presence was always here and you were an inspiration. Many blessings to you!!

candylance

Welcome back, Sky!! Hope you get that diagnosis soon and the right drug cocktail. We are carrying on but miss your almost daily appearance. We love you and look forward to your words be they few or many!! Love you!!

Candy       d134

Stac2

Seeing you on here is the best gift I could possibly have had on day 300 Sky.  Oh how I've missed you and been praying for you.  Please keep us posted on Orlando. 

I will keep praying for a quick diagnosis and clear cut cocktail that will not adversely affect your health in any way. I am SO glad you are in a place where you have a good team of physicians!   I am SO sorry you have had to go thru so much in these past months.

You are a shining EXample of NOPE NO MATTER WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love you bunches and bundles,

XOXOXOXO,

Stac

JonesCarpeDiem

I've just got to speak with your doctors about the relleno cure.

they don't know what they're missing?

it could be the answer.

In the meantime, i'll be keeping them warm and fluffy for you.

hugs

Michwoman

Hang in there honey!  You are staying strong and it's such an inspiration! We all hope you can make it to Orlando!!

smorgy8513

AWWWWW....it is so good to hear from you!    You have been so missed!    Hoping drs can find what is going on and what they can do.....hope too that you can take a few days break from all the tests and come down to Orlando with us.    Will keep prayers going for you!

Sharon

JRC

I was so happy to read your blog this morning that was full of positivity and strength. Think a trip to Orlando would be one of the best medicines ever and hope it works out for you.

You are in a great place at the U of M Medical Center! ( It is my alma mater, although I chose public health as that was my passion.) Sounds like you have five wonderful children.

You as well as Teddy have touched my life and for that I am grateful. I will keep you in my prayers.   Janet

Patty-cake

Hi Nancy, 

It's so exciting to see you blog. I'll also be going to Orlando and we all are so excited to see you again. We definitely will have a place for you to stay in one of the rooms. No worries there. I'm looking forward to seeing you, if you can make it.

Lots of hugs to you. See you soon.

newlife5

sky girl i dont know what to say... you are an valuable asset to this site...noone has the communication skill s that you have to be able to bring everyone together the way you have... it must be a gift...it was you that got this getaway together this first one in vegas and this one in orlando....i wish i could attend .. but i lost my job in 2010 and have used up my savings already...i have been living off my mc donalds wages whisch is less than $600 a month....so you know i wont be able to go to orlando but i will be anziously waiting for the pictures ....i will be there in spirit.....

that diagnosis will be coming soon please keep us posted  we think about you all the time

izzy day 91

LouiseR

I live in Michigan and U of M is one of the best hospitals in the Nation so you are in good hands there.  Wishing you the very best Sky Girl!

cyn9

So good to see you here. Don't ever be afraid to come here. You are home. I hope so much they find a salution to get you back healthy. Will keep praying for you!

Brenda_M

I miss you, like, whoa, and am so sad we won't be able to eat half-priced burgers when I'm in DC next week (though I have to make mine a veggie patty now). Take care of you, and I'm sending good joo joo your way for a swift diagnosis!

ShawnP

How can we forget you??? Teddy would never alllow us too. Jk. You can never be forgotten when you have been an inspiration since the day you quit. Glad  your spirits are up and hope Dr's can find the answers.Big hug coming your way!!

msgardengirl320

So, Sky Girl, you are saying that I should be sure to wear my waterproof mascara in Orlando? If you do your "Tear Fest", I want to be prepared! I cry so, so easily these days, so it won't take long to see my streamers coming down. Hope to meet you in Orlando. 

SkyGirl

Yes, Michele, ABSOLUTELY wear waterproof mascara.  We did a LOT of crying while we were each reading our own early blogs out loud to the whole group at the brunch in Vegas.  And don't forget a box of Kleenex!

joyeuxencore

Private Message...too gushy for the community even for me...xo

Strudel

Oh Sky!! How wonderful to hear your lovely voice....well, almost hear it! I was telling my sister (who is going with me to Orlando) that my favorite person from last time wasn't going to be able to make it and how sad that was. I would be so thrilled to see you - and to know that you were feeling well enough to go - double wow! I am going to send you a PM about a few other things...be sure to check. 

Prayers continue dear Sky - for you to feel better and better and for a diagnosis and a path to recovery!! 

Love you! 

Jordan-11-1-12

I so hope that your doctor gives you the go-ahead for Orlando...... I won't be there, but you deserve a break from the tests AND you deserve to bask in all the love and positive, healing energy that this EX family will pour on to you!!    You are so loved!!!   You know I love you, dear friend, and I miss you, too!!

Brian100

Hey Sky!

Had to pop in to wish you all the best, my high-flying friend!. Wish I could head to Orlando, particularly since it's -14 here but it's Minnesota, so what else is new?

I hope they are able to come up with a final diagnosis so you can know what you are dealing with and develop a plan of action based on that knowledge. In the interim, a big hug to you my friend.

xxxooo

Brian

Giulia

misty_dawn

Love, blessings and hugs, Sky.  Always you are in my thoughts. 🙂

About the Author
I'm a 64 year-old flight attendant for a major US airline. Prior to that, I owned an ice cream store and six hot dog carts and put my five kids thru college on hot dog earnings! Prior to THAT, I was Director of International Administration for Domino's Pizza, Inc. I was married to my H.S. sweetheart (dad of my 5 kids) for 17 years. I've been with Jeff for 23 years, but we just finally got married in 2016! Jeff & I live in Cape Meares, OR right on the beach. I'm from Ann Arbor, MI, where many of my kids/relatives still live. My flying base is Washington, DC, where I have a condo that I stay in when I'm between flying trips. My dream is to retire and stay home with Jeff and my two cats, Kenneth & Barbara...not happening soon, though. So I go home whenever I can get a week or more off. I LOVE to meet up with other EXers in the cities where I lay over. I usually blog about what cities I'm laying over in, so let me know if I'm staying near you! I'll buy dinner!! Xxxooo, Sky