cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Trying to quit

reneek
0 8 16

I am thinking about quitting smoking and it has been on my mind for weeks as I have a history of cancer in my family.  I need some support from people who have done this before as it seems so hard since i get stressed so much.  I really want to quit.

8 Comments
Kathy187

Prepare and read and then be free! I have smoked for over 40 years and have used this site to read and learn and be free for almost 40 days. If I can do it, you can do it. Keep reading and learning and pick your day to be free. Best wishes on your journey. You will be happy to be free. Read Carr's book-excellent help!

froguelady

Educate yourself to the power nicoine has over you. Try whyquit.com, read Carr's book The Easy Way, red the bogs here, ask "Elders" for advice and do not get offended by what they say. Pick your quit date and be prepared before the quit with things to get you thru a "crave". Most of all once you commit to quitting never look back and think you are losing something, look forward to what you are gaining, control of your life and FREEDOM from nicotine.

moody_9-18-13

Welcome to the EX Community!  We're a group of non-smokers that lean on one another for support!

You will never regret staying close here and getting to know other people who are new quitters and those with much wisdom who stay here and help the rest of us!

It's important to build a good foundation for a successful quit and that means you need to learn everything you can about nicotine addiction.  Your addicted mind is in a constant fight with the logical mind. I mean, we know cigarettes will kill us, right? But, the addict in our brains doesn't care one bit. Learn more about addiction here:

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html

I always recommend to new people that they bookmark this link written by Shawn.

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/ShawnP-blog/2013/08/11/foundation-for-a-successful-quit

Great book by Allen Carr with a free pdf download:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

If you will read, read and read some more about addiction, you'll want to quit more. Then, you'll need to learn how to live without smoking. You'll need to learn other things you can do instead of smoking.

I'm amazed how little I understood about ME, who I am until I began to live life without getting a nicotine fix everytime I thought I needed one.

Again, Welcome! Ask questions, look at the information on this site, interact with other quitters and you will also want to be free from nicotine addiction. 

imadeer

thinking about quitting and wanting to quit aren't going to get it done.

you have to decide to quit.

that means deciding to not smoke anymore

that means sticking to your decision.

Melissa33

I too have the "history of cancer" and worried all the time.  I am early in my second attempt but determined and never took Giulias blogs off my emails they kept reminding me that it could be done if I was done with smoking and I know I am now. Hang in there.

pamelaine123

I joined this site 352 days ago and will be at my 1 year anniversary on Jan. 2. I smoked for over 25 years and failed at quits before so I know how hard it can be. If you are committed you can do it-if I can do it anyone can..

stay close to EX and use the patch or lozenges if needed..the patch worked for me... I am far from perfect..I still think about it but I just don't give in...

You can do it too

tommiei

It has been 219 days since I last smoked a cigeratte.  I will admit I took a coupleof puffs the first week of quitting but since then I have smoked nor do I want to.  I am so proud of myself because I had smoked for over 40 years and was afraid to give up my best friend as i called them.  My husband still smokes and he stinks so bad sometimes I just do not want to be near him but I do because I understand how hard it is to quit.  

I found that relying on Jehovah was the key for me to quit smoking forever.  There is a scripture in Isaiah 41:10,13 that helped me to stop smoking.  It is a beautiful scripture. 

mamahamilton

im trying to quit i just cant seem to get down to zero ive been chewing nicotine and regular gum like a crazy person and ive got it down to 1 per day. i think the gum is making me feel sick to my stomach cant be sure. Also all i want to do is eat...