Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Trying again

jz357
0 9 12

Hello all,

Just found this site this evening as I contemplate trying to quit again.  Since I've been down this road many times before, hoping to find some new tips and support that will help me to be successful this time.  Each time Ive tried to quit in the past, ive usually gone back after a couple months, six months and even a year after quitting since the cravings never really seemed to let up and I just gave up.  Friends and family are really encouraging me to quit and hoping this time it will be for good.  Hope to meet some other folks here that have been through the same situation and learn techniques on how they coped with the never ending cravings and how they've stayed quit.

Joe

9 Comments
stonecipher

So glad you found us!  This is a community of people who truly want to help each other succeed in living a smoke-free life.

Keep in mind: there is no "try".  To paraphrase Yoda, you either do, or don't do.  This applies to smoking, just like anything else.  You don't have to WANT to quit.  But you do have to DECIDE to quit.  And quitting is very likely NOT as hard as you fear it will be.

The best thing to do right now is to educate yourself about the addiction.  The info in the 2 links below has helped many people quit smoking and stay quit.  http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

(If this link does not work, try "googling"  Allen Carr, Easy way to quit smoking)

http://quitsmokingonline.com

If you have already quit and are struggling, take deep breaths, take long walks, play a video game, stick your head in the freezer or bite a lemon!  Do anything to distract yourself and get through the smoking thoughts.  And remember that this will pass.  Come here and get to know us.  You will soon see that it is not about giving something up, but about gaining.  Walking away from cigarettes will enhance your life in ways you can't imagine yet.

There is tremendous strength in joining with others who understand what you are experiencing.   We will help with advice, suggestions, humor, and a listening ear.  If you are feeling vulnerable, write a blog and put "Help" in the subject line.  Someone will answer quickly.  You are not alone.

GreenThumb3

Welcom were all in the same boat this site has geat support   whyquit.com/

dahliasmith

I just started again today and I have noticed sucking on cinnamon sticks help me quite a bit. I laughed at the idea when someone told me about it, but I tried it and I really like them so it's probably just going to become a new addiction for me, but a better one anyway.

Something else that helped me before was telling myself that no one was forcing me to quit..it was my idea. I was quitting because I wanted to. It's been the only time being stubborn came in handy for me (I quit for 6 months, years ago..and started up again during a night of drinking).

Best of luck to you. I was on this site a few years back and these people are right, this is a great place for help, which is why I chose to join again as soon as I decided to quit. 🙂

gemini159

Isnt this site amazing????? I joined Jan 14, 2014.. My quit date is Feb 14, 2014.. Stay encouraged... gemini159

smorgy8513

Welcome.  Another tip for you is to do the steps outlined on the home page of this site.   How to Quit Smoking.        And come here often to read/blog/listen to the Elders and the Wise Ones....you will learn so much and you NEED to learn if you are going to make this your forever quit!        We all have been where you are....many of us are working towards a successful, smoke free life.    If you REALLY want that and are willing to work for it we can give you all the education, support and encouragement you need.

Stay strong!

Sharon   174 days

cloud51

i too have quit many times, for long periods of time, but this is the first quit that after getting over the physical addiction, and setting new patterns has been the easiest, the support here is awesome, and doing the suggested reading made all the difference in my quit, so glad you found us and you can do it!

Michwoman

You've found a site where EVERYONE has been down the road you're on. There are some here who are smoke free again after blowing as much as 10 years quit. If you take the advice given here, do the readings youngatheart suggested, you will find the AHA moment you need to stay free of nicotine forever!

Read Read Read - educate yourself on the addiction you have. As soon as you understand it, you will overcome it a whole lot easier than you think!  I promise! I had  been smoking since I was 17 and I'm 55 now. I quit many times, once for three years. I quit on February 4 of last year and I never looked back and I know this is my foever quit and largely due to this website.

Stay here - come back often. Hollar HELP before you give in and smoke. Trust me it works!!

Strudel

Welcome - doing the reading Stonecipher gave you will help you understand this addiction and quit for good! Read - please! And - stay close here! 

tim0921

been there my friend. Day 110 for me today and everything you read here from other quitters perspective is true. Read them all! It helps. The best for me was as an addict, i had to commit to NOPE....Not Once! I used Chantix for 30 days to ease the nic withdrawl but since it's just been support and sheer determination to put the nicodragon to sleep forever.