cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Trying again

flaroyale
0 8 14

Ok guys I am back once again. I have been on this sight for quite a while and keep going back to smoking. So once again I am trying to quit. I have just been diagnosed with asthma and COPD so I have to do this. I will be here a lot and need all the support and tips I can get. 

8 Comments
JACKIE1-25-15

Education is the key to a successful quit Did you take the time to read any of the literature that was offered.  What do you think is the reason you can not stay smoke free?  Have you learned anything from each relapse.  Have you made a commitment never to smoke again no matter what?  We are here to support you but you have to do the work. 

Minilove

Good  Luck. I too have been back and forth. Right now I am in the hospital, because of my COPD ended up with Pneumonia.  So this is day 4 without a smoke.  I have no choice, what scares me is when I get out of here, am I going to light up. 😞   When do the cravings stop???  Anyways I am going to take some of this time being here to read some of the material on here, and hope I can stay smoke free. 

Giulia

Tammy it's time to look at the hard truths.  Your first blog on here was May 2013.  Last one was November of 2015 "Going to Try again."  Now you've just been diagnosed with COPD three years after your first blog.  Trying again, trying again.  You've tried to quit.  This time DO IT.  Come on.  Just make the commitment, accept the choice, close the smokiing option door and move on to living, not dying. Your health is NOT going to get better if you keep smoking.

So do your homework, and figure out what it is that you need to overcome this nasty addiction.  I'm yelling at you, but I'm also saying RAH RAH, COME ON YOU CAN DO THIS!  So don't take it as a negative response, please.  Rather take it as a desperate plea.  Which  is how I mean it.  Because I know what will happen if you DON'T quit.  And so do you.  

The timie is NOW.  You may not get another chance.

JonesCarpeDiem

Sorry you waited until you had obvious damage. Your health is in your hands.

YoungAtHeart

Welcome back to our community!

I hope you will refresh yourself with the readings, and do the preparation activities again.  You CAN do this!  You decide and then honor that decision NO MATTER WHAT.  If you go into it with that attitude, you will be successful.

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested on this site

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around your head alone.  Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

TerrieQuit

I hate that you gave away a 10 year quit! But it sounds like you know what you did wrong. So.....it's time to move on ! Good education and information on this site. I see you have been here before, so you probably know your way around. If you have questions, just ask! Stay close and do the work! The support is here!

I Won't Quit on my Quit!

Breakinchains

Take the word "try" out of the equation. Don't try, but instead "do". There is no middle ground with quitting, if you wish to succeed you must have a "do" mentality, keep a positive attitude, and never look back. 

joedice711

welcome back..you will make it this time i no you will..