cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Trying To Quit AGAIN?

YoungAtHeart
4 2 209

Each of us has to find our own way to successfully quit.  My most important ingredient was education.  Finding information that wasn't nonsense from scientists and physicians who had no clue was key for me. The book by Allen Carr was essential.  Being in touch with and gaining expertise from others who were successful here was also important.

Einstein said: “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.”

If you were unsuccessful in previous attempts, do it differently this time.  It may not be that you weren't willing or committed enough. It may be that Cold Turkey or, conversely, using an NRT was not right for YOU. Just as every person is different, so should every quit plan be unique. If your past attempt didn't succeed, try something else!

Did you spend time preparing? If not, read, plan, prepare. Learn about the addiction this time.   Change up your routines. Figure out your thought process when you gave up on your quit and make a plan ahead of time what you will do when those thoughts hit again. Then write it down.  Be prepared, not surprised.

Do it differently! You CAN be successful!

Nancy

2 Comments
About the Author
I smoked until a vascular surgeon informed me of the damage I had done to myself by doing so. I quit 11 years ago, and I can swim laps virtually FOREVER now, walk most other days 40 minutes to an hour and a half. What a difference quitting has made in my life! I strive to help others find this wonderful freedom from addiction, too.