Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Truth isn't tough love

JonesCarpeDiem
2 21 78

It's just truth.

People are their ONE AND ONLY resistance when it comes to quitting smoking.

If I can show you that right away and get you through the first four months or so, I believe I can save you a lot of time, frustration and do overs.

I don't consider that harsh or unreasonable. How about you?

21 Comments
TerrieQuit

No, Dale I don't as a matter of fact if I need the truth on any particular day I would hope that you would give it to me! It would help me keep from smoking!

Terrie

Giulia

To some people the Truth feels like tough love.  You know what?  Too bad!  Quitting takes rigorous self-examination.  When one learns the Truth - that any reason to smoke is simply an excuse, they are well on their way to overcoming this addiction.  Accepting the truth about ourselves and our addiction takes courage.  The same courage it takes to become a Champion.  Since I've been dubbed the "tell it like it is, kid" you know where I stand on this issue:  the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.  If you can't handle the truth, you probably won't be able to handle your quit.

OldBones-Larry

Nothing harsh or unreasonable about it. Only the truth like you say.

Larry

freeneasy

HealthyOrange

And "The truth shall set you free."

jonilou

Some of us get a little skittish with too much truth. It means a good long look in the mirror and that can be really hard, especially after we have lied to ourselves for a number of years. Nevertheless, Dale is right. We need the truth. And then we need to act on it. Write the book already, Dale!

TerrieQuit

The truth, tough love or tell it like it is!! Whatever keeps me quit. I can take it! Keep it coming. It works!

Terrie  99  DOF

JACKIE1-25-15

Truth can be delivered harshly or with kindness. Truth, laced with kindness, is the right answer. Proverbs 3:3-4

smorgy8513

I'll  take it just as it is....just don't stick your tongue out and make mean faces to me!

No.....truth is what is going to keep me "clean".

Sharon

Mike.n.Atlanta

I reserve the right to tell people what they don't wanna hear.

KOKO,

bonniebee

You are spot on Dale ! 

sparky26

There is a problem with people not wanting to except personal responsibility in this world . I'm not sure how or why we've become this way , but we need to snap out of it .That's my option. 

I don't think that giving you honest option is the same as tough love , or what I think of as tough love. 

Puff-TM-Draggin

Truth may be considered tough love if , out of love, we tell someone something unflattering that they need to hear in order to challenge them to continue improving.

MarilynH

I second what Healthy Orange says above me that the truth will set us free.

Thanks Dale ☺ 

jimmypage

Dale, what happened to your comment regarding high fives and likes? I assume it is the site acting up again, which is annoying as I was just about to comment on it! Considering how vocal you've been in the past regarding not deleting posts/comments I don't think you would have puposefully deleted it lol weird!

JonesCarpeDiem

I sent it to the people who are revamping the site.

JonesCarpeDiem

and I just now received a reply stating that the new software would show who high fived or liked a comment on a blog just like on facebook.

Puff-TM-Draggin

Forgot to include the second half of my thought, though others have already touched on it.

Too often, people tell those they love what will make them feel good, even if it's not true, thinking they are doing them a favor.  Not necessarily so.  You may fail to challenge them to live up to their God given potential, or worse, you may be the direct cause of their ignorance to the possibility they have more potential.

jimmypage

Cool, I like the idea of being able to see who likes/high fives on comments/blogs!

Strudel

Carry on Dale!! 

Zendlewise

I think everybody is different in their ability to handle honesty.  I smoked for ALOT of years, and from the very onset, I knew it was unhealthy and dangerous.  i was never one of those smokers who thought it was ok and made excuses, and I know a lot of them.   Smokers who are in denial, and really do not want to know the truth.  I think you have to be willing to accept the truth in order to quit.  Quitting is not for Sissys.

About the Author
Hello, My name is Dale. I was quit 18 months before joining this site and had participated on another site during that time. I learned a lot there and brought it with me. I joined this site the first week of August 2008. I didn't pressure myself to quit. HOW I QUIT I didn't count, I didn't deny myself to get started. When I considered quitting (at a friends request to influence his brother to quit), I simply told myself to wait a little longer. No denial, nothing painful. After 4 weeks I was down to 5 cigarettes from a pack a day. The strength came from proving to myself, I didn't need to smoke because I normally would have smoked. Simple yes? I bought the patch. I forgot to put one on on the 4th day. I needed it the next day but the following week I forgot two days in a row I put one in my wallet with a promise to myself that I would slap it on and wait an hour rather than smoke. It rode in my wallet my first year.There's nothing keeping any of you from doing this. It doesn't cost a dime. This is about unlearning something you've done for a long time. The nicotine isn't the hard part. Disconnecting from the psychological pull, the memories and connected emotions is. :-) Time is the healer.