cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Tomorrow's the first day of the rest of my life...

motherlovebone
0 12 47

So tomorrow is the big day......my FOREVER quit!
And I'll take any last minute advice anyone wants to give me.  ; )
I'm taking this last day to really focus on two aspects of my quit.  The first part is the practical side...going through all those purses and coats and my van and making sure all my lighters and cigarettes are gone.  I've been down this road before and who needs the temptation?!?  I won't be NEEDING those things anymore!  I'm going to spend the first part of my day tomorrow washing my sheets and getting the smell out of my life.  It's amazing how much one's environment can smell like smoke even if you never smoke inside.  When we got home yesterday from our vacation, I was in my backyard (where I usually smoke) and realized that my backyard has it's own smell.  I walked around our gardens (one of my recent changes to a healthier life involved quadrupling our food garden space and I enjoyed seeing how much food has sprung up out of the earth in our absence!), and really felt at home.  I can't wait to smell it when I've been smoke free for a couple of days!

(welllll...I WILL smell good...lol)
The other part of getting ready is really letting my new mindset gain strength.  It's feeling a bit more challenging the closer my quit comes.  Even though I've done this part of quitting a gazillion times, I really don't know how I'm going to FEEL tomorrow.  I'm trying to be prepared and leave space for anything...without letting thoughts of smoking take over my head space.  I DO feel like this quit is different...and new things are always a bit scary.  This site and the resources here have really allowed me to let go, or put aside, the impending feelings of deprivation.  I am truly looking forward to my FREEDOM.

Here's an example...
I was asked, last minute, to be an announcer at our first ever local co-ed roller derby bout last night, the very DAY we were getting home.  My first thought was, "Nah...I'm just going to be getting home and I'll need to unpack and get ready for my quit."  But then the Nicodemon busted in with this:
"Welllll...it WOULD be nice to go and then go to the after party and not worry about smoking and drinking ONE LAST TIME."
I entertained that thought for a minute.  Because that's what I always do.  Hmmmm...it would be EASY to go and announce and party and smoke.
But No!  I REMEMBERED!  I'm not going to be deprived of smoking.  Silly me! 

Won't it be nice to go to a bout and after party someday when I'm ready and not have to WORRY about going outside the bar to smoke with the pack of addicts that hangs out just outside the door?  And how silly that so many athletes in this sport have bought into the lie of badassery, the idea that smoking is one more way they are rebels.  Just the opposite is true!  They are slaves to the Addiction Monster...just like everyone else who smokes.
I have a million blogs to catch up on, but wanted to check in.  Please send me your positive thoughts and encouragement.  This really is a brand new quit for me.  And the first day of my new life begins the moment I wake up tomorrow.

Happy Sunday, everyone!  xo~mlb

12 Comments
ladybug49

I have been taking baths with the lights out in candle light. I also use bath salts and put tea hot tea in the water it is very relaxing. 

I also cut down one sugar flower and cafean I added in raw honey fruit veges nuts lots of good spices so the food tase good now that i can tast them

I have cut myself some slack and let myself just be a slug or speedy gonlaze cleaner or grumpy what ever I need.

do somthing good for yourself every day

post often

you can do this

sheryl

i found that thinking about how hard my quit would be was the worst part.  the quitting wasn't nearly so bad as thinking about it... everyone is different, of course.  i've been almost 5 years quit and i have to say, if i can do it, ANYONE can do it.  I KNOW YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

judy100

My quit date is also tomorrow and I have been down this road many time over the last few months.  My first day of my new life will begin at midnight tonight and I plan to sleep through it until 7:30am.  When daylight hits I will be 7 hours and 30 minutes nicotine free.  Plan to keep it free the rest of the day---one day at a time.

JonesCarpeDiem

yeah, you've been building it up. Ease into it

wishingstar

We rock this quit. I love your saying you added . I'm not telling you going to be easy but worth it.. We are worth it 🙂

Renee

Nyima_1.6.13

True freedom and independence is the ability to listen to other people's ideas and suggestions, and then make your own decisions and find your own path! I believe in you!

jensteff

I would do my laundry today because I wouldn't want to smell 'that' on the first day of my quit. You sure seem ready from the blogs I've read. 

caz75

You can do this,

Tomorrow will mark the last day that i smoked a cigerette.......

You appear strong and focused about this quite.  Just remind yourself often that this is a HUGE step but your doing it!!!

Luck & Thoights are with you    xx

Chris265

Notice the positive changes and write them down!  You should see a significant improvement in your breathing within 2-3 days, you’ll be less winded when walking/exercising, and your teeth will look whiter.  If you “wheezed” at night – you won’t anymore. 

I say write it down because too many ex-smokers say that they didn’t experience any positive changes.  (Not that they would go back)  If I hadn’t commented to my sister on the breathing and teeth, I am not sure I would remember or notice a month down the road.   So the changes might be easy to forget – but very important to remember a month down the road when you are fighting your way through NML.

Have a great journey!

Strudel

So, so, SO, worth it! You are going to be just fine - stay close! Make a N.O.P.E. sign - put it where you will see it! Live it! Congrats to you! 

cory-3-10-13

I'm so excited for you! I'll be checking in tomorrow to see how your day is going, but I agree with what Cheryl said, the thinking and the build up is often worse than the actual quit! Blog if you are struggling, but you so got this! ROCK!

joyeuxencore

Oh my goodness! You honored your prep even!!!??? I can't wait to hear from you today! xo