cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Tomorrow I Begin

dwreck4242
0 14 172

Hey everyone, I'm new to this and I don't know where to beign. I guess it started a few months ago where I got the idea that I should quite. So far I have battled this addiction and am starting with a new approach to my delima. Every time the ball starts rolling I seem to give up and go back to it, and its been this way as long as I can remember. This time, however, is going to be different, because the weapons I need to sucessfully quit are at my disposal thanks to ex. I didnt realize how much there is to this. 

I want to do this for my health and primarily my nephew, hes only 5 and I caught him trying to light one up!!!!! I couldnt beleive it, and he clamed he's been trying to quite(wonder were he got that from)lol. I guess he really looks up to me and I want to make sure he doesnt follow in my footsteps. Hes better than that. I am better than that. Tomorrow is a new day, and i will succeed! Any advice from others is more than welcome! I need to do this for him and myself, permanately!

Thanks for reading,

Derrick

14 Comments
susanhughes36c

Hi Derrick,

I tried to quit over and over and would always go back. This time I did quit, 2 mos. ago,because it scared me when suddenly I couldn't get a deep breath. I still can't. Stop before this happens to you. Have you quit yet?

Susan

linda.mustafa

Hi there Derrick and welcome !

Congratulations on your great decision and even greater motivator , your nephew , who I'm sure looks up to you in many ways, that's what young children do and honestly they are the true friends who tell us the truth no matter what!

I  am not sure how much you've read about the nicotine addiction but I can advise you to please read as much as you can because knowledge is power and in this case you'll need that power every day!

Start determined and willing and maintain that determination and willingness every day .

All the best 

Linda

dwreck4242

No not yet, I have however been cutting back dramatically because tomorrow is my official quit day. I want to before that happens for sure, that would really scare me 😞

Derrick

dwreck4242

Thanks Linda and as the saying goes "truth falls from the lips of babes" lol

I will look more into the nicotine addiction knowledge so I CAN keep determined and stay with it! Any other tips about what has helped you or anyone you know would be greatly appriciated!

Thanks for the support,

Derrick

linda.mustafa

Check out your message board!

Personally, every day since day one was/is different -I only found this site nearing my 30th day , however during the first couple of weeks I remember eating a lot of carrots cut into sticks , a lot of walking more than usual, riding the bike more than usual, drinking a lot of water , when a huge crave would hit I stuck ice cubes in my mouth (be careful not to get a brain freeze) and yes I did stick my head in the freezer couple of times -When it was absolutely necessary ! You have to understand that this is my first and last 'cold turkey 'quit after nearly 27 years of slowly killing myself so I did and wil do anything it takes to reach complete freedom !

Dont forget music as well , listen to the music if you need immediate distraction especially when outside!

And the most important one of all please don't think luck has anything to do with you keeping your quit -Your commitment , determination and willingness are what it'll take for you to quit forever!

sadiewilliams

Dear Derrick,   I have been where u r many many times,  and the only advice that I can give u is to take one moment at a time, one day at a time, one new experience as a non smoker at a time.....This time is the longest I have ever gone without smoking, 259 days, but let me tell u I started out strong and determined, but almost cracked a few times the first month.  all I could do is think do I really want to start day 1 all over again.   so I took it one moment at a time until I could look back and say "wow, i made it through the first month""    Be strong and pray alot!!

Good luck!

JonesCarpeDiem

my page may be helpful to you.

take my 130 day challenge?

promise_judy

Good advise above. Now is the time to do yourself a favor and stop that nicotine addiction in it's tracks.

XOXO

Junior7

Welcome!  And congrats on your decision to quit!  The first week or two are hardest, but it gets much easier after that.

linda258

You can quit.... get your mind knowing this and you will quit.  Make the choice... each and every day.  Understand the addiction... read, research and tell yourself you can.

Thomas3.20.2010

Welcome, Derrick! You're on the right track! READ READ READ! 

moody_9-18-13

I read every single thing I could about how to quit successfully. Tomorrow is my one year quit date and I had smoked 40 years. FREEDOM is wonderful.

Do the exercises on EX, they worked wonders for making me aware of when I smoked, why I smoked, how to change it up to get used to not HAVING to smoke. It hit me, wow! I COULD control the times I smoked. If I could control that, then I COULD quit. I kept reading about so many people who quit all over the world and thought, by golly, if they can, then I can too!

Another great site to learn that you're not giving up a thing when you quit, you're gaining everything...check out www.quitsmokingonline.com I highly recommend www.whyquit.com also to learn about addiction to nicotine.

Explore the blogs of longtime quitters here on EX. Check out jonescarp aka dale's site. Learn why we are addicted emotionally to smoking too, as I think it's 90% of the reason it's so hard to change our daily desire to inhale toxins into our lungs. We can beat the nicotine addiction, but it takes keeping your promise to not smoke each day.

All the best, 

Moody

summer-07-06-15

you're aready on your by preparing yourelf and having a positive attitude. Keep on reforcing your committment to stop smoking, by reading. You will succeed.

OxfordComa

Derrick, congratulations on your quit!! Know that the first three days are the worst. After them, though, it gets progressively better. I follow the rule of three:

1) Go get a drink of ICE water when you get a craving.

2) Take three deep, slow breaths.

3) Re-write your internal script: when you get a craving, and you start thinking "I need a cigerette" practice reframe that need, "I think I need a cigerette, but I know that I don't. I would rather..." then list all the things that make you joyful and happy. Then go do one of those things that makes you joyful and happy (if you're able to). 

Be kind to yourself right now. You are going through the hardest part and its important to remember that you're doing this as a gift to yourself and to be a better role model for your nephew. You deserve to be smoke-free and so does he. 

You can do this! We're all here for you!

-Kirstin