cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Today is the day!

alysonoholic
0 8 5

Today is the first day of my final quit.

I put my patch on this morning (step 1, since I was basically up to more than half a pack a day,) set my QuitNow meter, have my water and ginseng tea ready and I am feeling pretty good (mere hours in - I guess that's no surprise.)

All my ashtrays have been cleared/put away, all my jackets have been washed and the car has a new air freshener. Thankfully I never smoked/allowed anyone to smoke in my house, so there was little work to do there clearing out the butts. My usual smoking area, the balcony, has been rearranged and since the only real chair I had broke earlier this winter there's nowhere comfortable to sit.

Tomorrow morning I will hit up the library where I will have Allen Carr's "The Easy Way for Women..." waiting for me - yay for reading resources. Today my best friend is also picking up a box of patches so she can quit as well ad I have a non-smoking friend coming into town tonight, so I am lucky to have some great people around to support me IRL over the next few days as well.

I think the part that will be the hardest for me is overcoming that urge for the first morning cigarette, but I know that now I will have time in the morning during the week to focus on being more presentable for work and possibly even eating breakfast. 😉

Should I do a "first day" reward? First week? What have you done to reward yourself for milestones along the way (and what were those milestones?)

8 Comments
katie621

congrats on your first day I am on my second day and so far so good. I have the patch on and I am useing the gum. I know how feel about that first morning smoke. Good luck to you!!!

Nyima_1.6.13

I am certainly saving tons of money and plan to spend it at one year!  Not smoking is the best reward I can think of!!

tireduvsmoke

Do yourself a favor. don't put away ashtrays, lighters, or anything else that has to do with smoking. Throw them away.

I smoked 1 1/2 - 2 packs a day so my reward was getting a newer vehicle that I had been putting off for a few years.

Just remember that no craving will last forever, and if you don't put a cigarette in your hand you cannot smoke one.

mary242

congrats on your quit! The first 2 wks were the hardest for me. It wont be easy but it certainly CAN be done.Stick close to this sight and read all you can, that will be what saves you. Be strong and take care and holler when you need to. Whatever you do DONT give in to a craving....it will get easier. Mary

alysonoholic

Thanks, Katie - same to you!

Mags, are you using a tracker or is it just obvious by the balance in your bank account? 🙂

Tireduv, my only concern is that when I do have friends that smoke over they will be inclined to ash in my organic vegetable plants/flower pots or throw butts over the balcony, which could get me in a lot of trouble with the building management. How do you deal with your smoker friends and their trash? You must be enjoying that newer car, I'm sure!

What I realized in my last quit was that I don't really start having to address cravings until I start to step down on the patch, usually a few months in. Which method did you use, Mary?

YoungAtHeart

Remember when the inevitable craving hits, distract yourself.....don't let the thought linger in your head.  Play a computer game, do a crossword, go for a brisk walk........I used a frozen Hershey Kiss with my coffeee as a substitute for the first cigarette of the morning.  Keep in mind that the more cravings you successfully navigate, the less often and strong they will become.  

I did not use a tracker, but did know that I spent $180 a month on cigarettes.....I bought myself a guitar after 3 months!  I have another 4 months of savings to spend now - and haven't decided what I'm doing with that - but I guarantee you it will be something FUN!

This quitting is not easy, but it is doable.  I smoked for 40+ years and was successful; trust me, if I can do this, EVERYONE can!  Be committed!

Nancy

Quit 7/4/12

camahoney

My morning smoke was what I thought would be the hardest but I just set it up so I ate a yougurt or made a breakfast drink instead of smoking then had my coffee.  It has worked perfect I don't even think about it anymore I just do it.

alysonoholic

@Youngat: Congrats to you!  I bought myself a guitar for my last long term quit and I have to be honest - I still don't know how to play it. 😉

Cmahoney, I hardly ever eat breakfast like I should and have taken to wearing a cap to work on the days I don't "have time" to do my hair - looks like I don't have any excuses now. So far today I've gotten at least 2 compliments from my coworkers on my "I actually made the effort" hair, so I think it's already paying off.

About the Author
This is actually my third wind on becomeanex.org - in February 2013 I quit for over 6 months before relapsing and realizing I was going to have to start all over again. And then that happened again. So, I'm back here to get at it. I've tried quitting so many times now it's not even that funny. I had basically been smoking since I was 13 (so, 25 years now) and was tired of letting something so stupid and expensive run my life to the extent that it did. In general, I am a pretty healthy person. I work out regularly, I eat well most of the time..it just seemed ridiculous to keep subjecting myself to being stinky and ultimately sick. I know cigarettes don't actually bring anything positive to my life, it was just hard to think of a future that didn't include the habits I had built around them. But now that I am 38 I am determined to live a healthy, well-balanced life and take more time to enjoy my home, my friends, my 2 cats, my city and a life free of cigarettes.