cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Today is the day

ISPEAKINALLCAPS
0 19 160

Today is my quit date...and I have been anticipating it like the first day of school.

In my last few blogs, I was trying to quit before my quit...which actually turned out to be way more stressful. I was smoking but limiting myself and cutting it WAY back, by doing that I feel that this is going to be a smidgen easier, than just smoking one day and the next stopping completely. The weening process in itself I felt was a taste of the mental control I am going to have to exercise from here on out. 

what follows will probably be unorganized and random as my thoughts kinda spill out

Image result for Serenity prayer meme

I feel this sense of anxiety (although I am always anxious) like when the first day of school, its a fear and excitement. Quitting is like the school, I have some reading to do, some homework to keep myself on the right track, socializing with you awesome people here. 

In the last few days, I have had to deal with some of my other...I don't wanna call them issues but that's what they are for lack of a better word. Generally I have anxiety which at the root is fear. Fear of EVERYTHING it feels like. I have had a close friend make me question what I am afraid of. I am afraid of failing (in the general sense), afraid of being alone, afraid that something is gonna fall through (in general), fear that the car next to me is gonna run into me, fear that my hair is gonna fall out, fear that if I don't do this than this will happen....the list could go on and on and on. I am not an overly religious person but I believe in God and I believe in the Devil. My friend told me that essentially the Devil has run a muck in my mind.

Image result for devil meme

So my friend who is called to be a Preacher basically told me that I have to verbally say "NO!". Now to me even with my heathen faith I am like, "Talking out loud when no one is there is called crazy", lol I am kidding but it is just odd to talk out loud to something that is not physically there. But, all this fear has stolen my happiness and stunted my growth in so many areas of my life.

Now you would think I am just this hum drum always unhappy person with all these negative thoughts running through my mind on a regular and random basis, but I really and generally upbeat and I do find joy in life and I have hope, sometimes not for myself but I can sure give hope to the people around me I care about the most. I always get frustrated with myself that I can motivate people around me to keep positive and hope for the best and glass half full yada yada yada, but my self talk is hardly that bright. 

So after this conversation with my friend, I started trying the verbal rebuking of the Devil on my shoulder. I had to chant out mantra's, "Relax, everything is gonna be okay", "NO! You can do this!". It felt kinda weird at first but the more I did the easier it was to calm myself down when that little tickle of anxiety was in my chest. 

Image result for quitting smoking  memes

With today being the official first day of the rest of my life, it was like the Devil was on full Victoria (that is my name ) must not succeed mode. I woke up late, my mouth and throat were dry, every stitch of clothing I tried on made me feel just fat, my breaks are starting to grind which was grinding on my nerves on my drive to work this morning. I just feel like everything this morning was trying to get me so worked up and triggered to smoke. Cause all of these things would in some way or another drive me to smoke to relieve the anxiety. Instead of going to the store and buying a pack of Malboro Smooth Shorts, like I usually would, I said out loud in the car, "NO! Everything is gonna be fine, the sun is shining, you are ready and you are excited and you can do this". It sounded like some hippity dippity bull$*&% to me the first 5 times and the Devil in my own inner voice was like, "your kidding right?!". The more I heard that voice the more I said my lil mantra out loud, even though I felt like an idiot. Somehow, the more I said it the more comfortable I got and the tickle subsided. 

Sometimes I wonder if I am ready for the mood swings. Even now writing this, I don't have an urge to smoke but I have a sudden random urge to cry...just sob like someone died. Thinking about it right this moment, I had anxiety and mood swings even as I smoked. idk...now my mind is kinda blank.

I am gonna end this with a huge 

pastedImage_43.jpg

I logged on after not being on for a few days and was met with, "where you at we miss you?!" and "Are you alright" messages and it was a huge comfort knowing that I wasn't just a face in the crowd or words on a page and people genuinely care about me and barely know me. I am gonna keep sharing my random thoughts and reading and writing and interacting. THANK YOU!

19 Comments
elvan

You are most definitely not alone and quitting is sort of like the first day of school.  Do your homework, stay close to the site, read how others are dealing with things.  I took a Smoke Stopper's course years ago and they told us that when we felt a crave we should yell STOP...that doesn't work any better than yelling NO if you actually do it out loud.  I did yell in my head and I found that NOPE was my best friend when I got here and we still have a very close relationship after over three years.  Not One Puff Ever.  The first days are the hardest because they combine the physical withdrawal with the psychological.  Once the physical is over...in about 72 hours, the psychological takes over and it can be pretty tricky.  Remember all of the reasons you want this and all of the things you are going to do instead of smoking and then DON'T SMOKE, no matter what!

Mandolinrain

One day at a time, focus on the very minute your in. You can do this. Don't let up on  reading and re-reading the material that educates you on the quit. Visit the site often. When urge comes....come here and talk about it....post something. By the time you post it the urge will be gone. Good luck, your in my thoughts and prayers

crazymama_Lori

the first 30 days suck bigtime, but develop a saying of your own.  Mine was basically, this will pass, this will pass (as I'm literally ripping my house apart)

Chuck-2-20-2011

Good to meet you!

When I was prepping for my quit, I too cut down more and more each day. Sometimes I would go five or six hours and call it my "practice quit". A lot of people thought what I was doing might not be in my own best interest but I stuck with it until on the week before my quit, I was down to five a day, I think. It really did prepare me for what was in store.

The first days are really hard but doable! You're not losing a thing and gaining everything! One thing I always did in the worst of times was try to focus on the future. That's where the reward lies. Experiencing the peace and freedom that you will soon feel is well worth the effort. It all has to start somewhere and for you, today is that day! Remember that your actions today will determine what your future will look like.

And just like school, quitting is a learning experience. We all fear change. It's just a natural part of the human mind. But once you're living that change, the fear slowly dwindles away. We're all here pulling for you. Please stay in touch!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

John10forteen

Good to see ya again. Your posts are fun with the pictures and all, and yet you express the seriousness of it all in a real manner. It's good to be real when quitting smoking. The first few days, are tough for some and tolerable for others, but in reality you just can't smoke. N.O.P.E. (Not One Puff Ever). Congratulations on your first day and GREAT job sticking with your quit date. I'm glad you had some sunshine with those grinding brakes... it helps.

Stay close and you'll find lifesavers every time you need them.

TerrieQuit

Hello, Victoria, it's good to see you and to know you have kept your date! So far so good! The feelings you just shared sound like the feelings of many a first-day quitter. I had them! Just stay close, keep blogging and yes, we do care! Keep moving forward!  ~Terrie~

Here are some links that you might find helpful

/blogs/ShawnP-blog/2017/01/28/welcome-to-our-community?sr=search&searchId=d1b5c93e-27ae-46be-945f-8f... 

My Welcome To New Members (10 Years Of Watching) 

SkyGirl

Congratulations on Day One, Victoria!  It takes about three days for the nicotine to completely leave your body.  Those days are tough.  But here are some tips:

1) Go to places where smoking is not allowed.  (I spent five hours in a Barnes & Noble store on my Day 2, just sitting in a chair, doing stuff on my iPad or wandering around looking at books.)

2) Spend time in places that you do not associate with smoking.  Museums are a good choice.  Go see a non-smoking friend in their home (where you would never consider smoking).

3) Go see a movie.  That will kill a couple of those 72 hours...

4) Do NOT spend time in the specific places where you smoked.  I couldn't sit on my patio for months.  It was just too much of a trigger.  It's amazing to me to remember that I used to sit out there in snowstorms, smoking!  Sheesh.

5) Brush your teeth immediately after eating.  And I do mean, IMMEDIATELY.  I would excuse myself from the table and run for my toothbrush.  This really helps kill those instincts to light up after every meal.

6) Keep a pack of gum in your car, if you always smoked while driving.  Or mints.  Or hot pepper flakes.  Or whatever.  As long as you have SOMETHING to put in your mouth while driving.

7) When you are lounging at home, do not sit in your usual chair.  Sit in a different chair while watching tv (or doing whatever you do in your usual chair).  There are unconscious associations with smoking when you continue to do everything the same exact way you did as a smoker.  So, shake things up.  Some people rearrange their furniture to help break the mental association.

😎 Make sure you have planned how you will handle a craving.  Write a list of small tasks that will keep your hands and your brain busy for about five or ten minutes.  When a craving starts, jump up and start doing one of the tasks on your list.  Need some ideas?  Unload the dishwasher, rearrange your desk, sort out your junk drawer, clean a toilet, play a game of Solitaire with real playing cards, take out the trash, go talk to a co-worker,  A craving starts, rises, peaks and ebbs away in about 3-5 minutes.

9) Wear a rubber band on your wrist.  When a craving starts, snap it hard.  The mild pain will divert your brain.  It works.

10) And last, but definitely NOT least, bite a lemon.  A WHOLE lemon, peel and all.   Don't EAT it.  Just take a big chomp into it and let the juice run into your mouth.  I promise you, it is the Best Crave Buster of All Time.  Truly.

You can do this, Victoria.  We did.  And if we could do it, so can you!

xxxooo,   Sky

SkyGirl

Oh, and I should have included the fact that, while your body is physically clear of nicotine in about three days, the journey will continue.  Quitting is not an EVENT.  It's a journey that takes time and conscious effort.  Your brain receptors take much longer to return to their pre-addicted state.  The psychological part of it occurs over the next few months.  Please go read the link that Terrie posted (a few comments up) to Dale's wonderful page called "My Welcome to New Members (10 Years of Watching)".

ISPEAKINALLCAPS

The lemon peel this I have heard alot and I am still kinda like "what?"

the only time i eat whole lemons or something like that is when I am sick..

thank you for the list it actually is some new things I never thought of or have been suggested before

ISPEAKINALLCAPS

I will be so glad when the other side gets fixed! 

I need new brakes on my drive side and I replaced my passenger ones over the weekend and couldn't do the driver side cause 

when I went to get my rotors looked at....they stripped my lug nuts...which was lovely let me tell you...so now I have an appointment this weekend to just have someone do the driver side and an oil change but until then...metal to metal is all I hear lol

SkyGirl

Victoria, this is a photo I took of the actual lemon I used during the first few days of my Quit.  That was the first bite of MANY.  I carried that thing around in a Baggie in my purse and chomped on it whenever and wherever I got a craving.  You can imagine the looks I got in airports!  I found, through self-research (lol), that you can bite a lemon an average of 10 times before you need to get a new lemon.  I went through three lemons in just the first week.

To this day, four and a half years later, I cannot drink lemonade.  But, I don't smoke!!!!!!

image.jpeg

MarilynH

We're all here for you and as long as you remain willing, determined and totally committed to succeed then you can and will be successful one precious smoke free day at a time....

elvan

Hope your first day was a good WON!

Sootie

WOW!! You are my hero when it comes to posting pictures!!! I just learned. Hope your day went well.......just hang in there. It is difficult but NOT impossible. As I told you.....you CAN do this. 

bonniebee

welcome glad you are here.jpgYou got sooooooo many nice comments and advice Victoria so I won't add anything but to say I am  happy you are here !!!

shashort

Wow you went through 3 0r 4 four in the first week.  EEKS! I never have liked lemons.  I carried a lemon everywhere I  went. I always hoped I woud never have to resort to the lemon but I swore to my self  I would bite that lemon if it deemed necessary. Unfortunately I had the urge from heck and bit into that lemon WOOWEE talking about pucker power, my jaws tighten from the sourness and ewe that tightness syayed with me forever. So it does work. 

shashort

Oh forgot to finish blog. Congratulations on your 1st day of freedom, not exactly easy but doable. Sty strong and know you can do this. Take big deep breathe in your nose and out your mouth, it will help you feel calmer.  Remember NOPE ( not one puff ever). stay close and holler if you need help.

YoungAtHeart

Congrats on your first day WON!

I hope you are super proud that you did it!  Hope so!

Nancy

elvan

CONGRATULATIONS!