Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Today is the Day!!

downtown4
0 15 160

My Name is Amy,

I am 52 years old and i have been smoking for over 30 years,  I was never a heavy smoker, maybe social 1 to 2 cigarrents once in a while, but four months ago, the love of my life and I separated, and I felt devastated, so I started smoking more than ever sometimes a pack a day, It felt good, and I relaxed.  But then, I started having issues breathing, I work out and run, so it started impacting my life style.  I smelled terrible and I do not like it.

Last night, I finally realized that I should not penalized my life for the lost of my love as It feel now  it is his loss and I will be fine,  so This morning, I decided to quit smoking,  I know it will be difficult, But I made a pack with myself,  I love me, and I need to show me, that I can control my nicottin craving as much as control not missing him.  It will be hard as I am trying to fight two strong feelings within.  BUT I feel strong today.  I just joined this group because I will need support.  I do not know anyone that smokes and I feel ashamed to even tell my friends that I do.  It has been my hidden secret, (or maybe they know, Ja ja, fooling myself) either case.  I will need support from people that understand what it takes to quit and take it one day at a time.

Thanks to all in the community that allows me be part of it.

Amy

15 Comments
Thomas3.20.2010

Hi, Amy!

Wouldn't this be a great time to get support from all of your Friends for both big changes you are embracing? Change can be a good thing but we sometimes need our Friends! Consider telling them the truth and then tell them exactly what you would feel would be supportive on their part. 

Would you want them to ask how it is going or wait for you to bring up the subject? 

Would you want a close Friend or two who can handle your urgent sense of giving in? 

Do you want some of your Friends to remember your Milestones and encourage you to Celebrate? 

Just what does support look like to you? 

Sharing with our Friends holds us accountable. 

Making new Friends here also helps a lot!

READ, listen, learn and participate regularly and we can show you how to quit smoking for LIFE! We have a lt of SUCCESS here and we want you to SUCCEED as well!

sparky26

Welcome Amy !

Barbara145

Hi Amy.  You have come to the right place.  You will come to understand how powerful the support here is.  Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking.  We will be here for you every step of the way.

downtown4

Thank you all

Deena-A-Yenni

Welcome and congratulations on your quit.  I am still young in my quit but I tell all the new people to go to "jonescarp aka dale"s page and read his blog.  It will enlighten you about your quit and what to expect.  It mentally preps you for your quit.  I recommend reading it.

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

I am sorry you found us only after your quit date, so you have some catching up to do!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there.

The idea is to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take slow, deep breaths, go for a walk, play a computer game, do a crossword, bite into a lemon (yup, rind and all).   Here is a link to a list of 100 things to do instead of smoke if you need fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head CANNOT be:  "I want a cigarette.  No!  But - I WANT a cigarette!”

Instead, it needs to be "I want a cigarette.  Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it!

Stay close to us here; ask questions as you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way.

Nancy

mlpepsi517

Welcome to the community.  While life has many obstacles some good, some bad, you have made a great choice joining this site.  Everyone here is family and are all a great support group!  The important thing to do is educate yourself and stay close to this site.  Blog if you need a little lift now and again!  Trust me it will work!  Today was my choice also, but 2 years ago.  And after many attempts, I feel confident that this will be my last!  I love the new found freedom to be me, to smell good and you will too.  Congrats again on your choice to quit and welcome to the EX!

downtown4

Dear Community

is almost 2 pm ct.  I feel so honored to have received all the great support. I KNEW, it would make a difference.  Yes It has.  Each of you have giving me a little of your strenght for my new day.  Thank you so much for your great ideas and good vibs!  Sincerely Amy

Giulia

Hi Amy.  Welcome.  We surely do understand what it takes to quit in this community.  Glad you're here to discover what freedom from this addiction is like.  You cannot read enough on here.  Feast your eyeballs on everything and open your mind to all the possibilities.  It's an incredible journey and you will discover wonderful things about yourself during the process.  If you get shaky, put up a blog and vent.  We're all in this together.  And there is strength in numbers.  Cheers!

Strudel

Hi and welcome! Be sure to read the things Nancy gave you! I did and I quit - after smoking for 40 years! So - I know you can do this!! Stick around! 

Ms.J_11-10-2013

Welcome to the family~ read, educate, blog, laugh, cry and pray with us we do it all here.  Stick close to the site and absorb anything that might benifit you and your quit.  Its doable and we are all here to back that up!

Jackie

309 DOF

Junior7

Welcome!  Congrats on your decision to quit!  We will be there for you every step of the way!

promise_judy

Welcome to our community Amy. We are soooo glad to meet you.

Yep, smoking is a stinker and I am glad you decided to stop.

XOXO

johio

Welcome Amy......In am glad that you decided to come to this site and become  part of it.

You will never be alone as long as you are here

Sammy.J
Congratulations on your quit. We are all cheering for you!