cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Today is day One..

FinallyQuitinOH
0 6 77

Today is my first day as a non-smoker.  I have tried to quit before and was sucessful but have relapsed.I have been smoking again for about 21/2 years.  I didn't want to let the people who loved and supported me down, so I have been a closet smoker and I feel that not smoking in front of people I know will help me quit for good.  Today is a bit rough, but I am determined to stay the course.  I am taking Chantix and it seems to help.  Makes me a bit nauseous, but I can live with it.   I congratulate all of you out there who have quit before me.  I sincerely hope you stay a non-smoker!!  I would appreciate any words of wisdom you can share from your experiences.  Thanks!!

FQIO (Finally Quit in Ohio)

6 Comments
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

The most important thing you can do  is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your mind and body. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might also want to visit quitsmokingonline.com, and whyquit.com.

The idea is to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take slow, deep breaths, go for a walk, play a computer game, do a crossword, bite into a lemon (yup, rind and all).   Here is a link to a list of 100 things to do instead of smoke if you need fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head CANNOT be:  "I want a cigarette.  No!  But - I WANT a cigarette.  NO!"  Instead, it needs to be "I want a cigarette.  Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?" Then DO it!

Stay close to us here and ask questions as you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

You CAN do this!

Nancy

OldBones-Larry

Glad to see you here and welcome. One of our elders will post some links to some thing you will want to read. They have been a great help to a lot of quitters here. If you run into a rough spot6, please posty for help before you light that nasty thing. We are here to help and will try our best to do so.

Again, welcome to our community.

Larry the CaravanMaster

Chris265
FinallyQuitinOH

Huge Thank you to all of you!!  Especially Chris who directed me to the Blog site!!  🙂 It is somehow easier know you are all out there to help and I appreciate it immensely!!  Thanks for the sites, I will check them all out!!  I will stay in touch and hope you do the same!! 

tim0921

hang in there buckeye! Chantix worked for me to help with the physical addiction. I stopped after one month and am at day 120 now. YOU CAN DO IT!

lois2

Chantix work for me it did make me sick at my stomach but it help and do the reading stay close to the site.