cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Til' death makes me smoke

Danno_11-10-12
0 27 310

With prior quits, I'd always have a pre-determined threshold where I would cease being a non smoker and resume smoking.  Basically I always gave myself 'an out' to start smoking again, in the event something really bad were to happen (ie. the death of a loved one).  Prior to this quit, I was never faced with such a challenge.  Instead I would find good excuses to smoke well in advance of tragedy.  For example, a fight with a loved one was a good reason to light up; several cold beers, with good company; or.....dropping a spoon on the kitchen floor; a much too cloudy Wednesday; or traumatic childhood memories of "Punky Brewster" not being renewed for a 3rd season.   My point is that I always gave myself an excuse to smoke again.  The old, "I don't care because..."  or  "This awful, horrible thing happened and therefore I am going to go buy a pack of cigarettes and smoke."

Now I know I am not conditionally quitting.  Bad things happen.  Smoking will not help.  The same problem(s) exists once that rancid burning filter is discarded.  Except now you have a new problem.  Nicotine addiction.   I Really used to think sickorettes helped me cope with life, made me happier.  In retrospect, I now realize it did the exact opposite.  

I'd rather be an ex-smoker who thinks about smoking once in a while than a smoker who thinks about quitting all of the time.  I used to be the latter.  No more.  I have new found freedom.  I  Quit:  6 months and 1 or 2 days ago.  Newbies, you too can do this too.  I am not special or gifted.  You too can do this.  Stay the Course and Stay Close!

27 Comments
JonesCarpeDiem

Yes Sir!

Michwoman

Danno - I LOVE this!!!  I printed it out to let Al read it. He's a member here but he doesn't come around much - he's busy blogging on vintage Mopar sites instead LOL. He's had a lot of stress lately related to his daughter and I've heard him say "this is the s**t that makes me want to go buy a pack of smokes!!!

Thanks so much for posting this!

Nyima_1.6.13

"I'd rather be...." That sentence about says it all! Love this post Danno!

That's the second addition to my refrigerater collage today! Thanks

Linda239

Oh Danno, this is great!  One day I too will be where you are at on the countdown.  I'm only at day 122, but I love being a non-smoker!  Thought I would never feel this way.  Basically, I always figured my life would be over and I would never enjoy doing things without a cigarette.  I have found out otherwise.  Keep up the good job!

Jordan-11-1-12

this is such a GREAT blog!!!!   

trish75

A great blog, Danno! Loved when you said you'd rather be an ex-smoker who thinks about smoking once in awhile than a smoker who thinks about quitting all the time. I really needed that!

Ex_Nancy

I think you done graduated Danno...PERFECT message for you and everyone else.  TY.

Michwoman

Danno - I hope it's OK with you that I am posting your "I'd rather..." sentence on my page. It's just so RIGHT ON!

jim_ohio

hey danno..........nice blog.............you set us newbies back on center...........front and center with our quit..................have great weekend.................jim ohio

Patty-cake

Great blog Danno!

Me too, I'd rather .... 

The thoughts still come around here and there. A few smoking memories. Nothing we can't handle, huh!

freeneasy

"I'd rather be an ex-smoker who thinks about smoking once in a while than a smoker who thinks about quitting all of the time" that just about says it all. Excellent blog!

Danno_11-10-12

Michwoman, I did not create (although I wish I did) the "I'd rather" slogan.  I picked it up from this site along the way.  It hit home for me as well.

Thanks to all.  You are great and amazing people!

Brian100

Great post my friend!

Michwoman

Well I have picked it up now too! Thank you to who ever coined that phrase!

SmokedOut041412

Congrats Danno! ♥

nanawendy

Great blog, Danno, I too printed it out and gonna remember that phrae !!

nikki77

love this, life happens but smoking sucks, i made it through some bad stuff and i kept my quit.I know i always will. Congratulations!!!

YoungAtHeart

And know what else?  ALL those who are still smoking want to be US!  I still love the smell of a cigarette being smoked outside, and will often go out of my way to grab a sniff.  So as not to scare the smoker into thinking I am the Smoking Police, I always explain why I am walking toward them.  Well, to my surprise, to A PERSON, each and everyone of them in my experience has asked me how I did it, and they hang on my every word.  They all want to be US!

They want to be you, Danno, and you michwoman, and you SmokedOut........

Nancy

Quit 7/4/12....

johio

Great Post Danno.....

jojo_2-24-11

Hi Danno, I second all the above! Congratulations on 6 months! : )

Strudel

Danno  - You've "got this"!!! What a great blog! Congrats to you on 6 months!!  

Thomas3.20.2010
You found your Quititude! You've taken your Life back! Congratulations!
SkyGirl

Danno, you ARE special.  And you ARE gifted.  And we LOVE you.

XXXXXXOOOOOO,   Sky

joyeuxencore

NO WONDER you are my hero! What I would give to have you comin' to Vegas with us! xo

Sootie

AMEN DANNO!!! Great blog!!!

mayagg

Wonderful blog!!! Thank you Danno.

gayvenda

Wonderful blog!  Congratulations on your 6 months!  What a gift you are to others!  I'm celebrating a week today and am such a newbie on this quit stuff.  However, the compulsion to smoke has been removed from me since I woke up last Saturday morning, on my quit date.  I am loving being a non smoker!  I feel so much better!  Hooray for you!