cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Through the Fire

sataolives
0 22 28

It has been one week since I have had a cigarette and I am so proud of myself for taking responsibility for my addiction. It was a spontaneous decision to quit and so far I "have not" smoked 60 cigarettes and saved $21. 

This past week tested every fiber of my being.  There were so many times when I could have hopped in my car and bought a pack of smokes but I didn't.  I do not want to be a nicotine addict anymore.  I went through the fire (withdrawls) and I don't ever want to go through that again.  

After 25 years of smoking, I feel like I have given myself a second chance to get it right. 

22 Comments
Jennifer-Quit

Congratulations on making it one week!  That really is the worst time - keep moving forward and stay close to this site and read!  Education about this addiction has been very helpful to me.

sataolives

Thank you Jennifer 🙂

JonesCarpeDiem

good job. my page may help you.

cookie804

congratulations on 7 DOF. We can do this together.

sparky26

congratulations , the first few weeks are the hardest , you're  doing great.

Thomas3.20.2010
Knowledge is Power! Keep reading and learning! Congratulations!
MarilynH

Stay strong, the first week is definitely the hardest, stay focused on your quit and you will kick cigarettes to the curb permanently. 

elvan

Great job!  It does get easier, I am really impressed that this was a spontaneous decision, GOOD FOR YOU!

Stick around, read, blog, remember that it is one day at a time.

Ellen

sataolives

WOW!  Thank you everyone for responding to my blog and for the much needed support.  It is truly appreciated... 🙂 

Junior7

Welcome!  Congrats on one week!

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Even though you have already taken that difficult first step and gotten through one of the most difficult weeks, there are some things you can do to help ensure a successful quit.  I did not find this site until the fourth day of my quit and used reading the linked materials as part of my crave busting strategy.

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there.

The idea is to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take slow, deep breaths, go for a walk, play a computer game, do a crossword, bite into a lemon (yup, rind and all).   Here is a link to a list of 100 things to do instead of smoke if you need fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head CANNOT be:  "I want a cigarette.  No!  But - I WANT a cigarette!”

Instead, it needs to be "I want a cigarette.  Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it!

Stay close to us here; ask questions as you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way.

Nancy

sataolives

Thank you Nancy for reaching out and for your advice.  I am so happy I discovered this site and am greatful that everyone is here to help.  This past week was brutal on me but I'm still here and I am thankful to have you with me. 

Deena-A-Yenni

Welcome!!  Congratulations on your quit!!

sataolives

Thanks Deena...you too. 🙂

johio

Great decision and Great Job on one week. 

lynne31

Welcome, it really does get easier. Congrats on 1 week.

ShawnP

You're doing great!! keep saying NO!

6 D's (when you get a craving, urge, thought)

DELAY
   DISTRACT
   DIAL A FRIEND
   DEEP BREATHE
   DO EXERCISE
   DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT
sataolives

Thank you Shawn, I appreciate your support together with everyone who has commented on my post.  I had no idea this site even existed and to receive so much feedback and advice is a boost to my confidence and will power.

Thank you everyone for reaching out.  It means a lot to me.  ❤️

moody_9-18-13

You're one of the lucky people who found this site and on top of that you realized the active support group is in the blogs! Amazing, as many people never find the EX Community.

As a smoker who spent 40 years breathing into my lungs toxic chemicals, I can tell you, most of us feared failure, so we didn't try to quit.

It's very important that you understand this is a day at a time, suddenly it becomes one month then another. Do yourself a big favor, stick close to this group. They have helped me reach over 350 days of FREEDOM. You are not depriving yourself of anything by choosing to be free from smoking. In fact, you have made a decision to be free from HAVING to smoke....think about it, you are now in control of your life. 

We care and we want you to keep moving forward. We know if we did, YOU CAN TOO! 

sataolives

Thank you Moody and I look forward to the day where I can claim "350 days clean" just like you. 

Ms.J_11-10-2013

Welcome to the Ex family~ you are doing so well already, you really are.  The biggest thing here is to educate yourself on what this addiction is and how to beat it.  You will get alot of advice here and suggest you read all the links that are sent.  Visit OFTEN, educate, read and blog.  We are all here to help you, reach out as much as you need.  If you ever get to the point that you feel you are going to cave PLEASE< PLEASE come here first and write help in the top line and give it at least 20 minutes before you do anything.  Give us the chance to change your mind and talk you off the ledge.  Your mindset is in the right place and it is doable.  You are past the 3 day (72 hour ) time frame so the nicotine is out of your system, now is the time to take hold and work on all the other issue that come with this addiction of ours. YOU can do it!!!!!

Jackie

302 DOF

Ms. J November

sataolives

Thank you so much Jackie.  I feel so much comfort when reading your post and everyone else who has reached out to me.  I knew smoking was bad but when I quite 8 days ago, it hit me that I am an addict and I don't want to be.  I will most certainly check the blogs and reach out for help if I feel myself craving a smoke.