Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Three days and Counting

djarmstrong2016
0 17 110

Hi My name is Daryl,

I quit three days ago. I am a social drinker and I know that an event will be coming up soon. Is there any advise anyone can give me to stay on my course?

17 Comments
sparky26

Be careful Daryl , drinking has cost many their quits . 

Best to not drink in these early days . 

sparky26

Forgot to say congratulations on day three ! Woohoo !

Thomas3.20.2010
Put simply - don't drink! Your quit is more important! You need more time!
JonesCarpeDiem

One drink then water the rest of the time.

Vicks under your nose as a reminder of your quit.

If you start thinking of smoking, get out of the situaion.

If you blow your quit, you'll know you can't drink.

RachelMB

Great advice Dale-

I am a newbie with only 8 days of not smoking.  Last weekend was my first weekend not smoking.  I decided not to drink at all because I didn't want to fail.  I know you can't avoid situations forever, but definitely get out if you think you will smoke.  It will get easier in time.  Remember you have a lot of support here and that you CAN do this!

bacardigirl

You are most vulnerable in the first week in my opinion. I wouldn't bother drinking especially because it's a HUGE trigger. You will think much clearer without a drink fogging your judgement.

Congrats on the 3 days! I hope you know what a big accomplishment you have made! Keep strong and good luck to you!

SuzieQue

Everyone is right, probably best to avoid for now.. But I brought nicotine replacement gum with me when I went to drinking places. Some people are against them, but it saved me if I was really craving. 

Congrats on 3 days!!! You got this!! 

JACKIE1-25-15
Keep it simple. If you drink and have to smoke. Don't drink.
c2q

Yes. Picture your quit as a little 3 day old something that you love. Make your choices from there.

Daniela2016

Go and enjoy your friends and no drinking.  Think at how you can do it outside social situations and do the same with people drinking around.  You are the same person in both cases, just the environment is going to be different.  

Congrats on 3 days!

avjets

Congratulations Daryl, I too quit 3 days ago.  You might consider a glass of seltxer wate, with a lime in it and a small stir straw.  Looks like a drink, feels like a drink but will keep your head in the right place.  If you do have a drink I like the advice to have only one and then chase with water.  ALso if you drink that one, nurse it for as long as you can.

Best of luck!

constanceclum

I've tried to quit smoking several times and failed everytime because of drinking. Now I don't drink and have 17 DOF and feel strongly that I will be successful.

Connie

KJay
Hi Daryl Grats on your quit ! From my own experience, I know that all my previous quit relapses involved alcohol. I would be a few weeks into a quit, then go out, have a couple of beers, and then the delusion that I could have just one cigarette would seduce me. And within a couple weeks of that one cigarette I was back to being a regular smoker. So I learned that drinking was a habit, but smoking an addiction. And any habit that can impair your judgement and your health should be scrutinized. So in preparation for my current ongoing quit I realized that giving up alcohol before stopping smoking would likely help me. I am now celebrating my 70th smoke/nicotine free day. I now drink occasionally, but far less than I did when I smoked. I retain a healthy fear of the negative synergy between smoking and alcohol. I encourage you to avoid any alcohol until you have been a non smoker for a month or longer.
maryfreecig

Put quitting first, so if that means no drinking for a while...that's the road to follow. Not to worry, you can resume your social drinking when you feel ready.

Dotgirl_1-28-16

Daryl congrats on your awesome3 days of freedom. In the begining it's best to do whatever you need to do to protect your quit. If drinking is a trigger for you, don't do it. Protect your awesome quit!  WTG

Summer-Rain

Hey Daryl.  Congrats on 3 days of freedom.  In my opinion you should not drink adult beverages for a while.  It's too early in your quit.

The journey continues

djarmstrong2016

Thanks for the posts eveyone,

I did go to that event last night. Surprisingly I didnt cave. I'm sure it was the influences around me. My friends literally baby stepped as I had drinks. I was very content and they were extremely helpfull. I also encouraged a few more friends to quit as well so their taking their own steps as I did weeks ago.

My count continues with a new found courage