cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Thoughts today..........

Breakinchains
0 4 17

I have been thinking about my fiance's  father. A father in law I will never meet, because he died six years ago. I love his daughter very much. She has told me many times about  how he smoked pretty much his whole life. He was fine, right up until the day he died. He didn't have cancer, or anything like that. He did have emphysema (SP?) but the cause of death was pnemonia. Anyway, my fiance took his death really hard, as one would expect, but she was depressed for a long time. All she could ask me when we first met was "why couldn't he stop smoking?" I was smoking at the time, and so I thought about this question a lot. "Why couldn't he stop smoking?" I couldn't come up with a good enough answer for her. I am having health problems, and I didn't want her to also lose her future husband over smoking, so I quit. I think about this from time to time. She didn't nag me to quit at all. There was one time she said "I wish  you would quit," but that was all. I guess I have my father in law to thank for giving me some of the strength I needed to quit smoking. I thank him, even though I never actually met him. For some of us, it may become easier to find the motivation to quit if we take the time and consider what our smoking, illness, or death, might do to those who love us. I know, you have to quit for yourself, and only you can do it, but sometimes there is extra motivation to be found if we occasionally think about what our smoking is doing to others.

4 Comments
prs0214

My extra motivation is the way I smell around non-smokers - especially my precious granddaughter.

futuredoc2

I completly agree.  My extra motivation is my children.  I want to be alive and healthy to see them grow up and have kids of there own.  That won't happen if I keep smoking.  Plus, I hate being a hipocrit -  do as I say not as I do - I'd rather set the best example I can.  Even if it's showing them the horrible struggle of quitting, maybe that will help be a deterent to them ever starting.

Mary84

Thanks and AMEN.  We do have to quit for ourselves, but yes, the extra motivation helps, not just so we will be around for the ones we love and who love us.  We wouldn't want our loved ones to be burdened with worry, or fear, or ultimately having to take care of us should we become ill from smoking.   All the best, Mary

drea4

You gave your future wife a wonderful gift. More time with you:)

About the Author
I quit smoking on March 26th, 2009. I smoked a pack a day for 25 years. I quit because I began having health issues in my early 40's. I had a TIA and a stroke a few years ago. I work as a home delivery salesperson.