cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

There's some strange ways to give up

shaytyler187
0 4 15

I'm going back about nine years ago.I used to tell my partner that I only smoked a couple of cigs a day but it crept up(it always does). So I'd be puffing away when he wasn't around(who was I fooling).

So anyway I'd be coughing away all day and all night feeling sick and smelly and very miserable but my partner who had become a non smoker some 25 years prior and never once did he make those rabid, loud noises that ex smokers make to those still smoking. He was just patient and kind.

So one day I went for a walk up to our local tiny supermarket with the intention of getting a few things. I had always hated going to this supermarket because the guys that ran the place were such horrible, ghastly, mean people. I went there because it was close and therefore convenient. So I went in, grabbed a few things and got out of there as quickly as possible. But you guessed it..I had forgotten the cigs. I was halfway home(I was walking) when I realized. I looked back up the road and thought I really don't like those guys. They're mean and nasty and I can't face seeing them ever again. Odd you know because I immediately felt a huge weight off my shoulders.

I haven't smoked since and never had a craving.

But before you go saying that was easy. It wasn't. Prior to the above I had been a heavy smoker, A light smoker, a non smoker for four years (see profile). I had a family history of everyone in the family smoking. I remember being in the car with my parents with all the windows up and them puffing away. Smoking killed my father.

And because I smoked my children smoked. There is no way of denying the responsibility. My son gave up some years back and now my daughter who is a member here is doing her absolutely very best to stop. Bravo to her.And bravo to everyone here on what can be a very difficult journey.

4 Comments