cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

The struggle is real right now!

ash91
0 12 147
I am really struggling to not smoke right now. It is day 9...the cravings seem to be less frequent, but harsher when they come. I worked all weekend, 16 and 12 hour days, very busy. So I weaned off of the nicotine gum and did great. Now being home though...dang, I almost just want to go back to work. It was like a vacation, so much less effort to be smoke free at work. My fiance hasn't quit, and I don't know that he will. I almost got into his cigarettes a few minutes ago, I feel frustrated. Even if I get through the physical cravings, will the desire to smoke ever actually leave?
12 Comments
crazymama_Lori

yes, it does not actually totally leave but it becomes just a split second thought of boy, I could go for a smoke right about now and then you go on your way.  You're probably just bored.  here's something to read:  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

kristen-9-7-15

It does get easier. Just keep pushing through. I asked that same exact question when i first started my quit journey over a year ago. My quit tool was to go to sleep 🙂

JonesCarpeDiem

Are you able to have him smoke outside? If not, are you able to get up and move when he smokes?

How about some vicks under the nostrils as a reminder.

This is mental. Don't your emotions take control.

MePlus3
Great job coming here to blog BEFORE! don't do it! I assume you're tempted because he's doing it around you? Can you remove yourself until the crave go away? You have 9 days under your belt you DO NOT want to start over with day 1 it is NO FUN. I'm on day 4 now after almost 40 days! And I only had 1 cig! That's all it takes here to have to start over one puff. Hold on to your days tight! Kiss the kids, read them a book. Ask them how they feel about you not smoking anymore suck in their happiness about your success. Also read the 100 things to do instead of smoke reading that list alone is a crave buster even if I don't do any of them. You are 1 day from the double digit club! You can do it!
TerrieQuit

Hi! great job on 9 days! Come on over to the pledge group and grab some hands! You can't smoke when your hands are full and you are getting all that support and encouragement. It's a great quit tool!

http://community.becomeanex.org/pg/forum/topic/8554461/september-be-serious-about-your-quit-say-nope...

Don't Quit on your Quit!

We are on page 7.

SuzieQue

Don't do it!!! You'll feel soooo dirty!! It won't be worth it and you will lose your amazing 9 days!!! You got this!!! Flush his nasty sticks and take a walk!! hehehehe 🙂 

ash91
Thank you everyone!! He smokes outside, and has tried to be really supportive...I just know where he keeps them and he sleeps all day as a night shift worker. I get tempted. I asked him to find a spot to hide them, I think that will make it easier. I appreciate your help, I will not quit on my quit!!!
MePlus3
Whoo thank goodness!! Good going girl! You'll be in the TDC tomorrow. Its a great idea to have him hide them while he's sleeping! Don't quit on your quit were here for you and want you to succeed! Have a great night! Kimberly
shashort

Woohoo! Glad to hear it and glad you made it through the crave.  Sorry just seen this.  Glad you didn't give in. Way to go on 9 days and ready for the double digits tomorrow.

MarilynH

Maybe you could see if yourfiance could step outside to smoke, if not jmaybe you could get busy doing something in a different room but in the meantime I want to congratulate you on your awesome ongoing precious quit, keep moving forward and stacking up your beautiful days of freedom. 

c2q

How's it going? Hope you got some sleep.

You're almost over the first hump, Ash91. It helps to have a couple EXcape plans for when urges hit. Two that seem to work:

1. Where in your home have you never smoked? Go there, even if it's a closet, and just sit or stand. Close your eyes. Take a deep breath. Shrug your shoulders. Picture yourself smiling. Now smile and take another deep breath. Picture youself somewhere wonderful.

2. Distract yourself. I like to grab hold of an urge with my teeth and shake it to death. Think you want your boyfriend to hide his smokes? Imagine that he does. Now you are desperate to find them. Now exagerate in your mind what you would do to find them. Pull everything out of every drawer in the house. Cut the pockets out of all your boyfriends jackets and jeans to be sure they're empty. Dump all your dry food - flour, cereal, chips, everything - onto the middle of the living room floor so you can check the containers. You get the idea.

Do this for three minutes. Congratulations, you have outlasted that urge. Now go do your thing.  

maryfreecig

Yes, ash91, the desire to smoke will leave. Give it time. Nine days is early yet--

Some suggestions regarding cravings: eat a piece of ginger candy, licorice, chew black jack gum--clove gum, chew on a straw, take a walk, clean a draw, cupboard or something that has not been cleaned in a long time...watch youtube quit videos...  

I fake smoked using a straw, but walking was probably helped the most.

Once again, Yes you will unlearn smoking in time, and you will get completely comfortable with not smoking--that's where we all started--not smoking. The desire for a cigarette will not terrorize you forever. Take a deep breath, keep it one day at a time.

Sincerely,

Mary