cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

The smoking section

nicool
0 6 12

I have a friend in my program at school who smokes. Her fiance quit almost a year ago and he frequently puts pressure on her to follow his lead. Although I understand his position, I also know that the motivation to quit must come from within, not from pressure or guilt trips. There is never a time in my experience that such tactics have been effective. One funny thing though, she mentioned to me that he was having a quitters party and only people who are ex-smokers can go. "I'm not invited-" she said, "unless I quit before it happens. Hahahaha!" She laughed and I laughed too, but at the same time as being sort of funny, the thought of her having to leave her own home so he could have a party was sort of sad and it was a symbol of that division between a former smoker and their still smoking partner. You don't join them outside to have that quick private check in mid-evening when you are out or even at home socializing with friends. I realized when I quit that my former partner and I did a lot of bonding over cigarettes. When that was removed, the quantity of time went down and with it, the quality. 

It was heartbreaking to watch him choose to light up rather than be in my presence. I don't know if I will ever forget the sting of walking up after spending a full week apart, not seeing each other once, and finding him with a lit cigarette in his hand. He had known I was coming, had known that I was struggling to quit. I took a walk around the block and when I came back it wasn't 15 minutes before he lit up again. He didn't try to stop me when I walked off in a huff and drove away.

I know it could have been worse. I could have chosen to move in and give up my place. I doubt I would have been successful this time around if I had done that. I'm so grateful for the choices I made, so grateful that I made the right choice to choose my health and my quality of life over that relationship.

6 Comments
Mandolinrain

I am grateful you choose your health as well. It's difficult for the ones we love and who love us to see us in 'freedom'. My daughter-in-law smokes and is very uncomfortable around me now...I know she feels guilty. We used to go outside and relax after dinner with a glass of wine and the traditional 'smoke'...now I wait for her to come in and I am not having the wine since I recognize it to be a trigger for me at this point in my quit.

Perhaps everything happens for a reason and good things will come for you, thats my thought. Give it time and be happy for yourself. Your friend is only wishing her had your courage and perhaps he will come aorund when he see the positive changes that become of you! Hugs~Missy

Nyima_1.6.13

Nicole, so good to see you and glad to hear you are still protecting your quit! Good for you! You know a better partner will come along....right?

SkyGirl

Wow.  You are one brave woman, Nicole.  Not many folks can keep the strength of their conviction when the price is a relationship.  I'm so proud of you!  Someday, a man will come along who deserves a strong woman like you.  He will be either a non-smoker or an ex-smoker.  And he will value your life as you have just started to value your own.

Thank you for the pm.  I'm sure that interview wasn't nearly as bad as you think it was.  We are all our own worst judges, don't you think?  I'll keep my eyes open for something on the Oregon Coast.

I'll pm you about the get-together.

Brenda_M

I love the way you write. Just wanted to let you know. 😃

ret

I chose cigs all the time over my family, everytime I went to the garage or outside to smoke, because none of them smoked. It is amazing the lengths smokers will go to.  The party that he was going to have was way off the wall.  Sounds as if you are better off. Good job taking care of you.

nicool

Thanks everyone! And Brenda, thanks for the writing props. I haven't been writing much outside of here so it's been good for me. 

I also wanted to share something positive for a change. My sister who is 39 years old and has smoked since she was 12 quit a few weeks ago. She is doing great with medication. I am so happy for her and her family, but also happy for myself. She was my biggest trigger and now that's gone!