cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

The "just one cigarette" problem

wobble
2 13 471

I have quit on several occasions for lengthy periods of time and on each occasion fallen victim to the "just one cigarette" problem. Each time that one cigarette leads to another and then another and then...a pack, and I am back where I started.

Is this time going to be different? Having read Allen Carr's book, I know what that one cigarette does. Somehow though, I am not quite as confident as when I began the quit 9 days ago. It seems hard to comprehend that I will never smoke again.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated

13 Comments
misty_dawn

Take the pressure off of yourself.  All you need to do is get through one minute, one hour, one day at time.  And reach out and ask for help when you need a hand to get you through.

Jonescarp (Dale or Jonesy) said quite often when I first joined to post 3 times when you feel like you're going to smoke and wait for responses.

Some of the best advice ever.  And pay attention to what the veteren quitters who have some serious time under their belt say.

It's so worth it. 🙂  

JonesCarpeDiem

Catch yourself before you smoke and you can laugh the crave away.

Seriously start laughng out loud. It does wonders to change your perspectve 

Yaya2.6.10

Know that you are an addict and can't have "just one".  To prevent freaking out over that early in my Quit I would tell people that I am not smoking today.  It took a very short time until I realized that I never wanted to be at Day One again so no longer felt deprived or wanting just one

joy36

YOU CAN DO IT !!!!! I had wanted to quit and tryed 2-3 time's, and then, like you, just one smoke, then you think, oh, just a couple more. THAT WILL NEVER WORK !!! You have to really want to quit. My husband has cancer, and he smoked. We have both quit. I was told I had cancer also, nothing wake's you up, like hearing those word's ! Then you think, I did this to myself. I am going to die, not get to see my kid's and grandkid's grow up, marry, etc. I am so stupid. FACT !! I have bee smoke free since July 14th 2011, my husband July 22nd 2011, our birthday's. We both had surgery, 1 week apart. I am cancer free, my husband, is not. Oh, what I would give for him to be cancer free, but, it's too late. If that doesn't make you have the power to quit. I don't know what would, but, everyone here is so supportive. hang in there !!! I will be thinking of you, please, message me, if I can help, or you just need to talk, or scream !! But, PLEASE QUIT 

charliej

Celebrate the fact that you will never have another cigarette !! 

What a wonderful gift to yourself !!  

Never give up what you have gained.

lisa11209

http://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_04_18_fixating.html

Here is a link to a piece on whyquit.com that Nancy posts for us when these sorts of questions come up. 

The whole key to the program is to not take a single puff, do not ever let that one cigarette take away your quit.

You can do this!

Charlie makes an excellent point - Celebrate!! 

BobbyMaynard

As MistyDawm said you don't need to think about never or forever. Just don't smoke the next one. As a smoker you did not think about all the cigarettes you were going to smoke for the rest of your life, you just smoked one at a time. It is very much the same with not smoking, just don't smoke one at a time and before you know it you are addicted to not smoking. Being a smoker was a process you put a great deal of effort into everyday. Not smoking requires less and less effort the longer you do it. You can do it this time you are doing this and as was said above always come here and blog first before you give in and smoke.

Bobby

wobble

Thanks for the input everyone. I remain committed to my quit.

mikecity

Beware one puff or one cigarette.  It will put you right back where you were.  It always did me.  It's just an illusion and only bad will happen.  Stay strong.

Giulia
JasemineDenise

I'm on day 6 of permanently putting down vaping and it's not an easy venture. I've come to a point where my resolve has crumbled because I've 100% convinced myself, well I beat cancer once. For me, it's the loneliness-- I'll take this moment to remind you, that one of the most important aspects of it is breaking down that HALT method, I'm noticing. I get the violent urge when I feel lonely. I never noticed how loving someone I could never be with for so long was a long term contribution to the L in it all. I think the pressure of being one of the only one of my friends not married, not having kids, etc really triggers me to say "Oh, well I'm gonna die alone anyway, may as well die at peace."

It's dark but once you start making yourself more aware of the warning signs, those nine days will become ninety so long as you make peace with those feelings. I'm no expert, that's just from sitting down and contemplating "Oh this is why I relapsed." or "This is why I thought about relapsing." 

So far, it helps me immensely to keep a daily journal. To take the money I would've used on a pack of smokes and go for a better approach. "Oh I'm gonna be putting more effort into my art. My journal says I used to love doing xyz. Let me do more of that today." Unfortunately, some of us have trauma embedded so deeply in us, we have a hard time remembering what it was like before-- and it's most of the reason we're so high strung on quitting.

I'm proud of you. If no one else has told you. You're doing good because you are identifying your triggers and focused on evolving and bettering yourself. 

Barbscloud

@JasemineDenise Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your 6 days of success.  There's lots of great information found in new and old posts from fellow quitters.  This one is quite old so I don't know if Wobble is still available. 

Please consider creating your own post to Post to My Journal/Blog to introduce yourself to the community and receive some well deserved success.  

Being alone and being lonely are two different things. Many people (including quitters) live alone.  After my husband passed away, I was with my pets and that was enough for me for me for many years.  I live with a friend now, but at times that's not ideal either.  No children, grandchildren, etc.  Since I mentioned pets, do you have any?  I've had cats and dogs over the years  they're the best company.  Lots of love involved in both directions.

Quitting nicotine is for you and is not dependent on other's feelings, beliefs, presence, etc. It takes believing in yourself. 

Have you been reading material on the site?  I quit after 50 years of smoking and many attempts at quitting.  When I found the Ex, learned how to quit for the first time  and how invaluable support was for me on this journey to become an Ex. A big part of quitting is creating new associations to replace smoking.  There's where you plan comes into play.  This link is a great place to learn about tools, cravings and creating those associations.  It's also educating yourself about nicotine addiction plays a big role in a successful quit.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/

Glad you've identified some tools and distractions with your art and journaling.  If you're able, have you given some thought to exercise?  Walking is a great way to refocus your thoughts and get an added boost of dopamine that's lost without nicotine.

We're here to support you, so reach out anytime we can help.  Join many of us on taking the Daily Pledge.  It's a great way to stay on track one day at a time.

Stay busy and stay close. Please keep us updated on your journey  Glad you found us.

Barb

Sable6923

I have been doing the same thing during my quit times. At first it seems ok then a few hours later I get the thought just one cigarette again. and a week later it's 2 then 3 and I'm back to starting all over again.