cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

The first 48

ash91
0 6 77
At 1 am, it will be 48 hours since my last cigarette. I have been using the gum. The package says that for the first six weeks you should chew a piece every one to two hours, so I went with every two. In all, the gum is a 12 week program, which I was surprised by...kinda hoping I don't need it that whole time (I am not a fan of the taste). I am doing as well as I can but at night I have a hard time sleeping. When I do sleep I wake up feeling nauseous, dizzy and with the sweats. Hope this doesn't last long!!!
6 Comments
Dotgirl_1-28-16

Congrats on your first 48  hours of freedom. I've never used gum so I can't comment on that. Again congrats! You're doing this!

Giulia

I never used the gum either, but I've read that many find it has a nasty taste.  BUT it seems to help nonetheless.  Your body and your own instincts will tell you when you don't need it any more.  The sleep disruption is pretty normal when quitting (with or without NRTs).  The nausea, dizziness and sweats should not last more than a week.  If they do - either stop the NRT or see your doc.  From what I've read nausea is a common side effect.  Especially if what you normally smoke is less than the nicotine you're getting with the gum. Perhaps get the lowest doage of the gum or cut a piece in half?

48 hours is great.  Just keep on.  And take it one day at a time.  That is -  plan and strive to get through just today.  The days you don't smoke give you encouragement to continue to build that strong smoke-free house.  Hang in, hang on and CHIN UP!

MePlus3
I use the gum. What flavor did you try? You might have to explore see if 1800 quitnow is offered in your state so you could get them for free. I like the white ice mint for strong craves and cinnamon surge for my just because uses. I never used the 9 a day like recommended. I started off with 5 now I'm down to 3 a day I use the delay method using other things instead like a cough drop, hard candy, tea, or regular gum. Instructions says to wait 15mins after eating or drinking something so if after all that time I'm still feeling edgy I'd use a piece. Huge congratulations on 48 hours I see you are dedicated to quitting. Take it one day at a time explore what works for you not to smoke.
tjanddj

Congratulations on your 48 hours! I used gum years ago, it gave me hiccups, very annoying so I stopped using it and went back to smoking, stupid me, but now I have the EX  that helped me along. Glad you are here with us! You might be getting to much nicotine in your system might want to cut back on the gum and see if that helps. What ever you do don't go back to smoking you got 48 hours in and that is awesome! Keep on going!

ash91
You guys are so awesome and encouraging! I cannot thank you enough. Today has been the most challenging since I have quit, but I let your comments play in my head when that craving hits and it helps. I also started a jar, that helps me to refocus a little bit...when I feel like I want to light up, I write on a slip of paper something I don't want to miss out on because of cigarettes. By the time I am done, the craving has subsided enough to take a deep breath and move on. Again, thanks so much!!!
maryfreecig

Hello ash91. Welcome. Glad you are here. Congratulations on your 48 hours of not smoking. Now is the time to stay quit for yourself,  for your kids as you mentioned on your home page. Keep posting, reading and stay with your quit.