cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

The demon who came to visit

Connie55
1 10 83

Well here I am on day 21. I am doing well and am pretty proud of myself. I rarely even think about a cigarette anymore which feels amazing!  This past weekend, I was busy cleaning the bathrooms and when I was finished, a little voice in my head said, "whew, that's finished, lets go take a break and have a smoke"! I had to really listen hard to pick this up, it was so automatic. It then dawned on me that after 3 weeks of quit, the Nico-demon had come to visit me and try to trick me into smoking. Wow! It's hard to believe that I hadn't even had so much as a thought about a cigarette in so long and then suddenly out of the blue, it sneaks up on you when your defenses asleep.

So I did not try to run and hide from the demon, or try to busy myself to forget him. I confronted him head on. I pulled up a chair for him and invited him to sit down for a talk. The demon does not like a reasonable, logical talk! The demon inside me operates on impluse alone. I asked the demon what makes you think I need you? So you thought I forgot about you and you could easily sneak back into my life in stealth-mode?

The conversation only lasted a few minutes and then he ran away with a sinister chuckle saying, "I will be back for you". I replied with 'I know I am an addict and will never let my guard down. Not One Puff Ever. Visit as often as you'd like. I have logical questions ready for you demon. You cannot win now that I know my enemy!"

It felt very strange after not even thinking about a cigarette for so long, that it could just sneak up on you like that. I was surprised,  but never tempted. I am blogging this story so that others who may get blindsided do not run and hide from the demon. He only has power where you have fear of him. Confront him with logical questions and he will run away quickly!

10 Comments