cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

The Smoking Section

Storm.3.1.14
0 18 59
   I never smoked inside my house. I always stepped outside, onto the right half of my deck, where I have this wooden garden rack thingy. A flower pot full of kitty litter once served as my ashtray, and a lidded box kept my cigarettes and lighter dry. 

When preparing for my quit, I knew I had to repurpose and re-imagine this area. To erase all signs of its former purpose. To reclaim my deck as a free space, because I was not going to live in dread of going out back again. 

Below are some pictures of what I did, and it only took 164 days to share them here. Hahaha!

I bought three big, bushy ferns. I hung two of them from the awning, pretty much at eye level. The other I tucked down at the bottom of the rack.

I emptied out my flower pot ashtray (bottom shelf, center), scrubbed it clean, filled it with potting soil, and planted stargazer lilies. To the right of that is a little terra cotta pot and some marigold seeds. To the left of the repurposed ashtray is this whimsical bunny sculpture my mom gave me. (It’s cute, so why not?) And the rest of the bottom shelf holds seashells and a sand dollar I handpicked from Edisto Island.

On the top shelf is a bird feeder with painted glass panels. (It’s usually hanging, but I moved it for the picture.) There’s also a decorative garden stone with my surname initial on it, and a watering can for the plants. 

Now, in the middle of the top shelf is my pride and joy: It’s a dish “terrarium” full of the interesting rocks and stones and pebbles that I have gathered from every nature walk, hike, and kayaking trip since I quit smoking. It’s an ongoing record, in stone (actual milestones!), of the steps to freedom I have taken thus far. It’s my “Rock (That Quit) Garden”, and it’ll continue to grow.  (“We’re gonna need a bigger dish!”)

Ready for a surprise? At night, the fern at the bottom “lights up”! I have a strand of lights nestled behind the pot and under the fronds!

So, there it is: My “smoking section“, reclaimed! Green life and little treasures where there once was just sooty shame and dirty addiction. And there’s plenty more room there to add new reminders that smoking is gone and over with here.

STORM: 164

You know, you can do this, too. Erase your “smoking section”, whether you have yet to quit, are figuring out how to bolster a wobbly quit, or have already been quit for awhile. All it really takes is about $10 or so at Goodwill or the dollar store, and a search around your attic or storage closet could turn up meaningful little things to add. You can re-imagine your former smoking space, too, in any way you like, be it indoors or outside. (And, honestly, I’d love to hear about it or see pictures.)

18 Comments
cookie804

how nice, you are very creative. Now how did you add pictures?

Deena-A-Yenni

Great blog.  Not capable of posting pics at the moment.  Maybe when I grow up!!  Tee hee.  Too advanced for me just yet but I loved yours!!

elvan

Those are really great ideas.  My smoking section was also on the deck and I really avoided it for a while and then I felt like I was giving up the outdoors and not just smoking. I had cleaned out all of the smoking stuff right when I quit and there was a kitty litter bucket just about full of butts.  Talk about stink.  I haven't done any reclaiming partly because there is a dreadful walnut tree that is covering what should have been a nice place to sit outside...things with 8 legs hang from the branches and I do not handle that well.

I really do like what you have done.  

Ms.J_11-10-2013

Nice job Storm~ lets see what I can conjure up.

xoxoxox

Jackie

freeneasy

You are serious about learning life without cigarettes! Great idea and nice pics!

karen230

Love it!  My deck was just torn off in the elevation process but when it's rebuilt I am going to steal some of your ideas of using meaningful object to reclaim that space! What I really like is that you didn't just get rid of something (the kitty litter ashtray) but replaced it with  special things!

Magstoyou

That is awsome Storm!!! I especially like your rocks on the tray!!!

Great Job

Mag391

Junior7

Wonderful!  Thanks for sharing!

moody_9-18-13

LIKE! We need to build NEW memories and now that you don't smoke, look at the creativity just spilling from your your hands. ENJOY your reclaimed space, Storm! 

phyllis-12-7-15

Love this storm.

HUGS

Brenda_M

What a cool blog!!!

Strudel

Great job! I especially love the "Rock Garden"!! 

Mrs.Rum

Lilies are my favorite.  Excellent choice.

summer-07-06-15

Great way to reuse a space for smoking to a space of welcome.

Barbara145

Hi Storm.  I love it.  Thanks so much for sharing it with us and inspiring us.  You are great. 

cheryl_1-1-14

Great idea.  Looks nice.  Way to freshen up that space.  

I wish I could do the same but my stubborn self smoked in my house.  I'm remodeling my bathroom and the stains I'm finding on the walls, ceiling, in the closet, everywhere are just sickening.  I may NEVER get everything clean.  Oh well.  One room at a time.  Punishment accepted.  (You just called me a dumbass, didn't you?)

SkyGirl

Absolutely wonderful!

gr8_start

How lovely!!