cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

The Number L

Larry576
0 3 1

Yes, there is a number L. It is the Roman numeral for 50. Today I received a note congratulating me on reaching the milestone of 50 days since I quit smoking. While I appreciate this, I also know 50 is an arbitrary number, like 30 or 90.  Yes, I have made it past 30 and to 50 but I haven't achieved 90 yet. However I will. 

As all of you know, each day is a struggle. Each day is a milestone. Some of us make it minute by minute or hour by hour and some day by day. The important thing is we are making it. We are an EX. Whether it be for a day, a week, a month or however long. Each temptation defeated, every urge overcome is a milestone. For that we can be proud. The accomplishment of crushing our last cigarette is to be applauded and the achievement of being an EX is one that provides many benefits. 

We all benefit in restoring our body's to a healthier state. The personal satisfaction may vary but we can all agree it feels good. By any definition we are stronger for quitting, physically and psychologically. There is one other we should agree and act upon. Our quitting has not only been hard for each of us, it has been a difficult time for those close to us. For having to put up with us and our anxiety or aggravation and of the shortness a few other intangible qualities. 

When we feel comfortable with ourselves and our quit we need to show appreciation for those closest to us for their support and patience. Do something special for that person. Take them to dinner. It doesn't have to be fancy perhaps, just going through the drive-thru of a fast food place and buying them a milkshake but just as our EX family shows us appreciation we should do the same.

For my EX family I thought I'd show my appreciation by sharing a few oxymorons and see if you, like me, wonder what geniuses put these words together for serious thought:

All natural artificial flavor.                                                                                                              Bankrupt millionaire.                                                                                                                            Civilized warfare.                                                                                                                           Intimate strangers.                                                                                                                         Jumbo shrimp.                                                                                                                                       Kosher ham.                                                                                                                                    Melted ice.                                                                                                                                        Non-stick glue.                                                                                                                                Pretty ugly.

Have a great week, think fun thoughts and remember KEEP THE QUIT!

3 Comments