cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

The Nicodemon Disguised as John

Jennifer-Quit
0 16 30

When I first started thinking about giving up the smokes, I purchased a couple of E-cigs.  John at work had been using them and it seemed like a good idea to at least try them.  What did I have to lose, I had tried everything else.  I didn't like them - hurt my throat and they were so much trouble to keep charged, etc.  I had a few real cigs in my pack and when I finished them I said "no more".  That was on April 30th.  On May 1st, I took my e-cigs and all the liquids, chargers, carrying case and gave it to John.  He told me to hang on to it.  I told him that I had made up my mind, either he could take it or it was going into the trash.  That was almost a month ago.

Just now, I was eating my lunch in the breakroom when John came in and said "your e-cigs are in my desk in there if you change your mind".  I asked him to please not offer me that again.  I said that I had made it almost a month and I don't need any temptations.  He just turned and walked out.

Why are people so stupid?

16 Comments
Mike.n.Atlanta

They want us to be as miserable as they are. John seems jealous of your quit. Just keep on being that good example & maybe he'll get curious & change his tune.

Keep on keepin on,

M n @

kristine5-27-14

agreed. Misery loves company. When I made the announcement that I was quitting yesterday, a guy(who chews tabacco)  at work said "how are the cravings? do you want some chew?" I was disgusted. I am trying to make my life better here!! 

Keep fighting the good fight! You've gone almost a month! That is an incredible milestone!!! you've been an inspiraton to me today!

annb
I was thinking EXactly the same thing as Mike!!! Yep John doesn't want to "lose" a fellow smoker. There is a chapter at the end of the Allen Carr book about trying to help those still in the sinkin ship! I hope you can help John!!
Ms.J_11-10-2013

I also have an annoying man in my office that is just as rude.  He always makes a point of making sure I know he is going out to smoke.  My co worker said to him one day " You know you are just F**king rude.  Didn't sink in cause he still does it, but I just let it roll off my back now and I agree with Mike he is just jealous.  I live by the rule "YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID".  You just keep rocking that quit Jennifer, we are all behind you.

Jackie

luxie

Yes I know the feeling, the assistant to the VP at my work tried to "talk me" into going out to smoke with him for the first month of my quit. I printed a sign for my office door stating" I QUIT SMOKING ON 01/08 AND NO I HAVE NOT CHEATED,SO DO NOT OFFER ME ANY,OR ASK IF I HAVE ANY LEFT... he finally stopped asking me

Stupid is as Stupid does..

Marion

LouiseR

He is soo very jealous of you.  Keep rocking your quit because it gets better and better.  So proud of you!!

Thomas3.20.2010

This seems like a common practice among coworkers! I had a boss who left her pack at my wor station every day "by accident" during my first Weeks smoke FREE! Poor Lady is still hooked and I have 4 + Years of Nicotine FREEDOM! 

Stay strong Jennifer! You are already the WINNER!

JonesCarpeDiem

same prison. same lifestyle. living a lie.

promise_judy

I still have co-workers who offer me cigarettes. Usually I just give them a look of discused and move on, but after all this time you would think they would get a hint. Oh and everytime I seen my doctor he says "Remember Don't Smoke" or "Your not smoking are you?". I was so tired of his comments that I just decided to change doctors (I did this Monday). Don't mess with me, cause if I could--I would fire my co-workers because of their comments too. I am sooo happy that I stopped smoking and when someone brings this stuff up its like a slap in your face. What is wrong with people? It's bad enough we have to put up with their stink without them constantly trying to get us hooked again.

Another thing, because I have loss a lot of weight, people find the need to constantly be offering me food. They say things like "your so skinny now you look sick". It's like they are not happy unless you are in the same mud hole with them.

maraisa

I agree that misery loves company. You will get this a lot from smokers. Did you read The EasyWay? In there it says that smokers are jealous and scared and intimidated  by you now that you are no longer a slave. He is a slave and will be as long as he is addicted to something. He won't be the only one to behave like that. For that, I am sorry. 

My father was the same way when my husband and I quit together. It was my husbands health problems that got this ball rolling for us. When my husband told my (chain smoker) father, my father laughed and told my husband that he's p***y whipped. Grow up, I thought. At least we're no longer killing ourselves. 

You are doing great. He is wanting to drag you down with him. Smokers are not happy and they want others to be not happy with them.

Read the EasyWay by Allen Carr if you haven't already. Carry it at work, it might help with cravings. Hell, I would make a copy and put it on his desk!

elvan

He does not want you to succeed because he is afraid, it is his addiction talking and your title says it all Nicodemon disguised as John.  People who are still smokers are threatened by nonsmokers...they ask weird questions, they don't want to quit themselves so they would rather have other people fail so that they have someone to talk to.  It's a vicious circle.  

You are doing great, keep it up.  My daughter quit a day after I did and when people ask her how long it has been since she smoked, she says that they laugh if she tells them it has been over four months so now she says 'it doesn't matter how long, I QUIT and I am not going to smoke again, PERIOD.  She says that they stopped asking her...she works as a restaurant manager and says that she is now acutely aware of smoking breaks that her employees are taking, LOL.

moody_9-18-13

Amazing how different people react....only 4 people at our company smoke and those people were and still are very considerate of my feelings. About 90 days after I quit, another coworker wanted to know how I did it and he decided to quit. He's still going strong and held onto his quit!! So, some people are like your coworker and some are like mine who would never even think of offering me a smoke. Go figure...

Jennifer-Quit

Thanks everyone - Wasnt really a temptation but wanted feed-back from everyone.  The last 24 hours or so have been tough for some reason, but I am feeling much better now.  You just have to learn to ride it out -- lol

ninepatch

Congrats on your beautiful quit!  It is yours and yours alone and you hold onto it for all your worth.  Walk proud, you deserve to be proud.  

freeneasy

Great job and congrats! One day at a time and it will get better. Craves don't last. Here is some helpful crave busting reading: http://quitsmoking.about.com/od/cravingsandurges/f/IMissSmoking.htm?nl=1

maryv

Cant stand people that want to drag you down with them.  Offer some advice to him about this site and how well you are doing.  Be stong!!!  He will give up and just figure it as another test you can overcome!

About the Author
I am a 65 year old single woman. I quit smoking at 55 and my only regret is that I did not quit sooner. Freedom from cigarettes is truly a wonderful feeling!