cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

The Latest on E-Cigs

YoungAtHeart
0 7 25

CDC reports that middle and high school students' use of e-cigarettes nearly doubles:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/health/sns-rt-us-usa-health-e-cigarettes-20130905,0,7962132.story

A whole new generation of addicts working for the tobacco companies.  It makes me sad.

Nancy

Quit 7/4/12

P.S.  Gooooooooo RAAAAAAAAAAA-vens (I couldn't resiist!)

7 Comments
Jordan-11-1-12

oh, that is so sad. 😞 

Nyima_1.6.13

Don't get me started! OK, you got me started!

Mayo Clinic on Ecigs 
  Electronic cigarettes, often called e-cigarettes, are battery-operated devices designed to look like regular tobacco cigarettes. Like their conventional counterparts, electronic cigarettes contain nicotine. Here's how they work: An atomizer heats a liquid containing nicotine, turning it into a vapor that can be inhaled and creating a vapor cloud that resembles cigarette smoke.
  Until more is known about the potential risks, the safe play is to say no to electronic cigarettes. If you're looking for help to stop smoking, there are many FDA-approved medications that have been shown to be safe and effective for this purpose.
  8/13
  The manufacturers claim that e-cigarettes are a safe alternative to tobacco cigarettes. But there are significant questions about the safety of these products. When the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) analyzed samples of two popular brands of e-cigarettes, they found varying amounts of nicotine and traces of toxic chemicals, including substances that are known to cause cancer.
  The liquid inside many e-cigarettes contains a substance called propylene glycol. It creates the e-cigarette's vapor. Other common uses of propylene glycol are in cosmetics and as an ingredient in fog machines and antifreeze. The specific health effects of this product are not clear.
  No studies have been done to examine the safety of e-cigarettes. As a result, there is no evidence that doctors can use to assess the impact this product may have on a person's body. Also, no convincing evidence shows that e-cigarettes are useful in helping people to eventually stop smoking.
  It is also important to note that e-cigarettes are not regulated by the FDA. E-cigarettes are currently regulated as a tobacco product -- even though they contain no tobacco. Because of this classification, there's no oversight from the FDA to ensure they are safe. Like regular cigarettes, you can buy e-cigarettes without a prescription.
  With the data available now, Mayo Clinic does not recommend the use of e-cigarettes. At this time, we simply don't know enough about them. They have not been proven safe, nor have they been shown to be effective in helping people stop smoking. -- Jon Ebbert, M.D., Nicotine Dependence Center, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.

**Mayo Clinic bans e-cigarettes from all its buildings  
joyeuxencore

My big thing is...HOW is 'smoking' a fake cigarette in any way RE-LEARNING LIFE without cigarettes???!!!...xo

whognu_1-2007

nicotine with a battery

jim_ohio

ravens...ha ha ha................go denver

Maryjo1953

I am wacko for Flacko.  Go Ravens.

wishingstar

I heard on the news. the e-cigs are on the rise with teens.  yes t is scary

About the Author
I smoked until a vascular surgeon informed me of the damage I had done to myself by doing so. I quit 11 years ago, and I can swim laps virtually FOREVER now, walk most other days 40 minutes to an hour and a half. What a difference quitting has made in my life! I strive to help others find this wonderful freedom from addiction, too.