Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

The Good Old Days

Brian100
0 41 95

41 Comments
Michwoman

Wow Brian - that's a blast from the past!!!  No wonder so many people took up smoking!

Brian100

Brian100

Patty-cake

not-recommended-for-children

Patty-cake

sore-throat

Patty-cake

quit-smoking

Patty-cake

They told us is was good for us. Holy Cow!

Patty-cake

smoke-up

Patty-cake

thinner-lower

Here's one that promotes being skinny.

YoungAtHeart

OMG - even I don't remember the last one - how ludicrous is THAT (not that the rest of them aren't - but WOW!)?

Nancy

Quit 7/4/12

Brian100

Too funny yet very, very sad!

Brian100

freeneasy

Mom and Dad's brand for a while..

Patty-cake

Those asthma cigarettes take the cake.

freeneasy

Gramp's brand..

Patty-cake

What ever happened to the rule, 'They can't advertise it if it isn't true'? These were a far cry from stretching the truth.

freeneasy

Gotta watch out for that throat scratch! - Thanks for  showing me how to do this buddy-I'm getting carried away .. I need to do come deep breathing-I'm getting a crave..

MarcieWhosoever

this actually makes my blood boil. 

That one pack actually says not recommended for children under age 6!!! so apparntly they are fine for 7 and up!

yes, and I grew up watching all my cartoon characters smoke, and commercials and articles and my mom smoking and takling on the phone and she looked so happy and relaxed. 

I smoked my first cigarette at about 4-5 years old! (just puffed it i guess, im sure i didnt inhale at that age) my babysitter gave it to me so i wouldnt tell that she had a boy over. actually 2 different times around this same age, I remember her giving me and another girl a smoke. I was a pro smoker by 13! Thank God I woke up and quit! Lets just hope I quit in time.....

SarahP

WOW

that's all I've got; this has actually left me speechless

jim_ohio

yikes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that is why we must have sympathy for anyone addicted to smokes.................................it was so much  a part of the previous and our generation.............

Mike.n.Atlanta

Sometimes I wonder if I was just pre-destined to smoke with all that went on in my early childhood. Every one smoked & with commercials & ads like the ones above & peer pressure it just seemed the thing to do. I know that was my choice & I have so many resentments about making the wrong one.

KOKO,

M n @

joyeuxencore

Oh yeah...HOW glamorous to endanger oneself to die a slow horrible death!!! Try watching an episode of Madmen (great title,eh?) while they smoke & drink whiskey all day every day at work!!! xo

jim_ohio

pall mall.............RED DEVILS................

MARLBORO............COWBOY KILLERS

jim_ohio

VICEROY.......THAT WAS MY DADS BRAND....................THANK BRIAN,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I THINK I HATE U TODAY.........................BIG SMILE   JIM

nanawendy

With all the brainwashing, no wonder we all smoked !!

Brian100

This was my first brand:

jim_ohio

I ALLWAYS NEW U WERE A MENTHOL KINDA GUY

blueinchains

wow...

Nyima_1.6.13

I think taking the advertising away made a difference in how many people light up! Craven 'A', funny brand name for an addictive product, right! It's what I smoked on my yearly trips to Jamaica! They are more horrid than most!!

@freeneasy- also my parents brand. So I guess I smoked them a lot too!!!

@skygirl- What about those Juleps? Looks like they were cut with some extra added punch!!!

Gotta go now! I have a particular craving for an EVE!!! UGH!

Patty-cake

I didn't realize that one of my favorite childhood shows promoted smoking. YUCK!!!!image

Brian100

Brian100

Brian100

Giulia

Can't embed - but click on some of the following links for old ads.  Newbies BEWARE.  As stupid as these are, they may give you a craving.  Advertising is a very powerful medium.

Ads of the 60's

Oasis (smoking WHILE they're water skiiing!!!)

A few more

Doctors Smoke Camel

Winston - Flintstones

Brian100

Wow - even Fred and Wilma...

Patty-cake

Tobacco Influence in Cartoons. Very sad indeed.

https://sites.google.com/site/ttteensandtobacco/advertisment-in-pictures

Legend

Most of my favorite TV shows had the stars smoking so it was cool to me.  Now I bet all of those TV stars must have some kind of problems from all of that smoking.  I’m so glad all the billboards are gone off of the streets and all the commercials are gone so our kids don’t have to be brain washed like we were.  We can lead by example so our kids hopefully won’t smoke but I know peer pressure from their friends might be stronger.  I have started educating my grandson on this addiction at an early age and so far he says he won’t smoke he is shocked at what can happen to him.  My grandson saw my dad die from smoking related problems maybe that left another impression on him.

It’s good to see you still smoke free Brian.  You have 66 days smoke free great job!!!!!!!!!!

freedom-38

Good grief. Wilma smoked?!?! LOL! 

Have you ever seen the show "Mad Men?" It;s all smoking all the time. I was watching it right at the beginning of my quit and believe it or not there is SO MUCH smoking in that show it made me feel disgusted.

I cant believe how people used to smoke. 

Sometimes when I was kid I would crawl into bed with my parents and they would smoke in bed. Yup. I would get them to turn out the lights so that I could see the tracers form the burning cherry on the smoke. I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Sad but true! LOL. No wonder I became a smoker : /

jojo_2-24-11

I'm with freedom 38, I never knew Wilma and Fred smoked! This was one of my favorite shows growing up along with The Dick Van Dyke show. Maybe this is where it all started. lol Thank goodness it's ended. Thanks for sharing Biran.

freeneasy

img alt="" />

jeanne-8-4-13

I grew up with this, Thank God They are not allowed to do this