cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

The Fall...

OxfordComa
0 5 55

I love autumn. In Missouri, our trees turn colors that could almost make Vermont jealous. I love the pumpkins, hoodies, the crisp air, the smell of bonfires, the pecan pies, turkey dinners, nights by our fake fire place, spiced cider, the end of our derby season, more knitting... I love everything about it. If I could live in a perpetual state of Fall, I would. 50-70 degree weather is my favorite. 

I checked my email this morning and read through the correspondance from becomeanex about revising our triggers/ways of managing them when the seasons change and it made me think about my smoke-free/smoking cycles. This is the time of the year that I always start smoking again (BUT NOT THIS TIME, SISTER). I don't know if it's because I get careless, because I'm so in love with the season, or what, but normally I've slipped up around the beginning of September. I hadn't thought about it until this morning.

So I guess I'm just posting to process some of my coping strategies and to work on positive self-talk as I get into the season. You know, my pre-game strategy, if you will. If you have any fun Fall distractions, I'd love to hear them!! Right now I'm going to stick with the basics: continue drinking lots of water, make sure my (nicotine free) vape is charged before social situations. Being smoke-free is a choice. I do it as a gift to myself; to improve my quality of life and my ability to kick ass. 90% of the time, I don't even think about smoking anymore, and when I do half the time I'm thinking about how much happier I am now that I'm smoke-free. I have the tools to make the right choice this (and every) season.

The autumnal equinox isn't until the 23rd (a joyous early Mabon to those who celebrate!) but I'm ready (and EXCITED) to start my favorite season smoke-free!!!

Peace & love,
Kirstin

5 Comments
dwreck4242

Love the first paragraph! I almost felt like I was there! I'm kind of new to all of this and just wanted to say that i feel the same way about smoking when I see snow, just cant help myself lol I think its the cold air or somthing, but who knows for certain right?

YoungAtHeart

I just love going for walks and hearing the crunch of fallen leaves underfoot, watching the squirrels scurry to and fro, and the smells (now that I can smell again!).

I also like to lie on my back and watch the clouds blow by - the sky is such a marvelous color this time of year without all the pollution covering it up!

The reason you want to smoke in the fall is because of something we call "romancing the cigarette."  We remember a time when we were happy and calm and life was good and, of course, it involved smoking a cigarette because we ALWAYS had a cigarette!  We CAN recreate that time and place - no smoking required!

Try creating a NEW memory  - .like some hot cider and a pumpkin muffin?  Or just watching the clouds drift by?  Of coming up with and carving a unique pumpkin (my daughter has done fighter jets and campaign signs and black cats along a rickety fence).  I am sure you could do a GREAT horse!

Nancy

promise_judy

Ya, fall is great!!! So much to look forward too.

XOXO

Thomas3.20.2010

Just think! This willl be the first Autumn in a long time that will actually smell like Autumn!!!! How EXciting is that?! Pumpkin, cinnamon, autumn leaves and flowers, caramel apples, egg nog, so much to look forward to and it will smell and taste better than ever - smoke FREE!

elvan

I, too, love Fall and Spring as well...not so much with the extreme weather associated with those OTHER seasons which shall remain nameless.  

My husband went to school  in Arizona and I hated the heat and more than that, I missed the change of seasons so much that I was constantly homesick for NY state, where I grew up.  

I also have a love of Halloween...the kids, the costumes, the decoration.  Just good fun.

About the Author
I recently experienced grief and started smoking again. I'm looking to get back on that ex train and use healthier coping mechanisms.