cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

The Choice is no longer my own.

Kinterralynn
1 18 84

Six years ago, I quit smoking.  I did awesome!  And then I crashed hard.   I could blame it on a lot of things, most of which I could blame on my ex-husband and his return to my life, however, in the end, I was the one at the end of the cigarette, I was the one striking the match.  That was my choice. 

My body is now telling me the choice is no longer mine to make.  Welcome to COPD - a condition that is ENTIRELY caused by my poor choices!  Was I warned?  So many times I lost count - doctors, friends, family,... increased asthma problems, constant coughing and lest we forget the repeated bouts of bronchitis!   I was warned, I was counseled, I was begged... and I did what I wanted - damn the consequences.  Funny how that all changes when its time to pay the piper for the dance.

I am angry.  Not at the cigarette manufacturers, not at the government, not at my parents for being smokers, or my friends that got me smoking with silent peer pressure, not at my ex for making me start up again... no, I'm angry at myself.  That's a hurdle that seems harder to overcome than kicking nicotine.

18 Comments
YoungAtHeart

Welcome back!

Don't look back - you aren't going that way!   Beating yourself up does no good - except to remember how this feels so you can call it up duiring the rough times in your quit journey.   Your energy is better used to start reading, preparing and planning for your forever quit.   You CAN do this - so let's get started!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested on this site

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around your head alone.  Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

You might also read Thomas' and Dale's pages.  There is a wealth of information on Thomas' page about COPD and Dale's contains what to expect in the first four months.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

TerrieQuit

Quit beating yourself up and let's geton to the business of quitting smoking! Have you set a quit date? Have you done the exercizes of tracking and finding your triggers? There will be an Elder along shorty (if not already, I type slow! aha) with suggested reading material. Please read it, it will make a difference in your quit! I won't lie to you, quitting smoking is not easy, but it is DOABLE! and you can do it! There is one more thing, Promise yourself that no matter wat you will not smoke and just don't put one in your mouth! I am glad you are here!

I Won' Quit on my Quit!

Sootie

Such self awareness and honesty are rare! Good for you......you aren't making excuses. Move forward with us. Many of us have all been where you are.......all of us are responsible for our own smoking years.

Thomas's page includes a wealth of info on COPD. As soon as Thomas reads your blog....he will reach out I am sure.

Welcome to the rest of your life.....smoke free.

JonesCarpeDiem

My page may help you to walk the talk.

MarilynH

Welcome, I love your honesty so please join us and take back your life and become an Ex smoker for life. You know quitting is doable so let's get you started on your quit journey. I see the links above me so that's a good place for you to start the recommended reading. 

froguelady

You can quit and we can help. You are not making excuses of why you smoked and that is a huge step forward. The advice you have been given will help you in your quit. Please do the reading suggested. 

COPD is not something to take lightly so stay close to EX and ask for help anytime you need it.

JACKIE1-25-15

You can make it one day a a time. 

JACKIE1-25-15

There is a lot of work to do.  So let's get started. Also check out www.whyquit.com.  There is a lot of additional beneficial information to read and study.  Look for Freedom From Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101.  

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html

http://whyquit.com/ffn/

Both were extremely helpful for me.  Stay close to the site and learn, ask questions. Read the blogs and most of all enjoy your commitment to quit smoking.

If you should need something to do here is a link that will help

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...).

Barbara145

Be kind and gentle with yourself.  It will help you on this journey.  Forgive yourself, let go and be on your way to a smoke-free life.  Welcome!  You have come to the right place.

Mike.n.Atlanta

Forgive yourself...then get to the business at hand.

Keep on keepin on,

elvan

You have gotten wonderful advice above...stick close to this site, you will have all the help you can imagine.

We have all been angry with ourselves, we have all felt guilt over what we did to ourselves, we can't change the past but we CAN change the future.

Welcome.

Ellen

Thomas3.20.2010
Welcome! Sorry to hear about your diagnosis! The best thing you can do for yourself is quit smoking. Enough guilt and blame! It won't help! So let go and forgive! Please check out my page! You'll find lots of informative blogs about COPD! We're here for you!
NewMe

Looks like everything I can think of has been mentioned above. You have come to the right place to get all the information and support you need to make it as a nonsmoker. As they say here- sometimes it may be one minute or one hour at a time. But it does get easier as time goes on. And then it gets even easier. You can do this. And yes- please put your energy toward learning a new way to live, and quit beating yourself up. Welcome, and don't hesitate to ask for help or advice when you need it.

Kimshine

Everything has been said. Don't beat yourself up anymore and get yourself to a good spot. I am sorry to hear of your health problems. It doesn't matter how much we as addicts have been warned, we stop when we decide. Quitting isn't easy so stay with us and ask for help. I cried every day for nearly a month but I never quit quitting. I'm at 40 days and I only started feeling a little better las week. Even if you get uncomfortable, find a way to move on without smoking.

Strudel

Welcome back! You are in the right place! Be sure to check out the reading above (or refresh on it). You know you can do this - stick around!

Dotgirl_1-28-16
Anger is a good thing...it got you here. Welcome back! You've done it before, you'll do it again...leave the past in the past, you can't change it....TODAY, you have a choice...say NO, educate your self and prepare for a positive quit...and never take another puff....YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
dpop
Welcome! You have a very supportive and wonderful community here!
smorgy8513

Welcome back!!      Your story reminds me that none of us are totally "safe" that we will never smoke again.....we are addicts.

I hear your anger at yourself.....now get over it or it will get in the way of you loving yourself enough to do this for yourself.

Stay close......stay strong.

Any of us here will help...just reach out!!!!

Sharon