cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Thanksgiving Dinner a week later

elims-09-14-13
0 11 5

A very sweet and generous neighbor gave my little family a turkey before Thanksgiving. Knowing that Our week would be crazy and the kids wouldn't even be here on Thanksgiving, I decided to put it off a week!

So, the turkey is in the oven. Dressing will be prepared after I pick up my son from practice.

This is actually only the second time I have cooked a turkey by myself., Tried it once with my ex hubby a million years ago. He insisted on using one of those bags (do they even sell them anymore?) that supposed cut the coolking time in half or less. My mother always told me 15 minutes per pound...and her's were always perfect. Anyway - his turkey was a disaster and wasn't even done by the time we had to go to my parents for dessert! Then, I recieved a turkey dinner the year my wee one was born. I had been on unpaid bedrest for a month before she was born at the end of October, and unpaid maternity leave after, so it was a HUGE blessing.

That turkey turned out great! But it was just my boy and I to eat - and again, afterwards we had to head to my parents so it felt rushed.

Last week at my Aunt's, she had the neck and giblets boiling on the stove. We asked her why and she siad she didn't know. It's what Uncle Bob always did. (He passed away on Thanksgiving 4 years ago). We all smiled at that. My Dad then introduced my son to the pleasure of eating liver and heart. My mom used to put the giblets in the stuffing.

Anyway - in the past I've just thrown these away and this year I was really curious. So what do you do with your necks and giblets?

Another day not smoking!

11 Comments
About the Author
I quit with the help of Chantix on September 14, 2013. I did the pledge. I wrote. I answered other people. I had to teach myself that smoking didn't actually make anything easier or better. I learned other coping techniques. I made friends here. I just didn't smoke each day.