cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Temper Tantrums

exsmokermom
0 10 27

Every Ex has to deal with cravings and urges, and every Ex has plenty of suggestions. Will every suggestion work every time? No.  Some will work at one time and not another time. What works for one Ex may not work for another. Each Ex will figure out  what works for them over a period of time and maybe develop some other way that hadn't been suggested. Which brings me to the point of this blog. I was dealing with an urge when it struck me that it was like dealing with a child throwing a temper tantrum.  As a mother of 5, I have a lot of experience in dealing with temper tantrums. They can be annoying,  loud, frustrating. and you ignore the tantrum, walk around it and say, "I said no, and I mean no!"   And the tantrum will eventually stop . As the child gets older, the tantrums stop. The longer I go without a cigarette, the cravings and urges will eventually stop.  They're just a temper trantrum.

10 Comments
smorgy8513

Great analogy!   Love it!

djmurray

Absolutely -- you nailed it!  And when you fight the crave it's like getting in there and having a tantrum right along with your child!

MarilynH

You are so right, I love the analogy. Stay strong and keep a positive attitude. 

bonniebee

That is a wonderful analogy......  I love it and I will use it too ! You are doing great ! Congrats on your quit !!!

prjimm01

good blog - thanks for sharing and congratulations!

froguelady

You got it! Great blog and good advice for new quitters.

gracie21

Wonderful way to put it!   I can relate to that very easily, thank you for sharing.

Michwoman

Good one!  You're right!

hwc

It's even a better analogy. Allen Carr, in one of his books, suggests that young children throw temper tantrums because they aren't yet able to consider time. When you take away their toy or make them go to bed, they can only think that you are depriving them forever. No toy for the rest of their life.

And, that belief that a crave will last forever is at the heart of the ex-smoker's temper tantrum.

JACKIE1-25-15

Great Blog!  Great Analogy.  Thanks for sharing.