cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Taste buds are weird.

dmkaiser83
0 6 11

I've discovered I don't like chicken nuggets. The smell of hamburger meat cooking makes me sick. I LOVE diet dr. pepper. salt and vinegar chips aren't as tasty as they once were. I smell EVERYTHING. I live in a house with 3 kids and numerous animals, that is not always a good thing!!

Still seeing my mental health doctor (that's what they are called on base here) and it seems to be helping me deal with things that I've ignored forever and just used smoking and drinking to cover. I've decided I can't drink at all anymore. I'd rather take my Rx meds and they don't play nice with booze.

It seems a lot of people slip up around holidays. I can totally understand that. I'm going to be extra vigilant so I don't have any slips. Easy enough, keep them away from my face. I noticed my truck smells great finally! no lingering stinky smells and that helps since driving was chain smoker time for me.

I wish everyone who smoked could just for one day feel what it's like to not smoke. To honestly remember what it was like before they got addicted. I know that so many people wouldn't continue smoking. This first month has sucked super hard at times and I'm pretty sure if I hadn't been taking meds I'd have never made it. BUT, I'm so glad I stuck it out and I'm looking forward to the coming months and then years!

6 Comments
YoungAtHeart

I think you will find your taste buds adjust over time.  They are quite sensitive when you stop killing them with smoke!

When we were smokers, we didn't deal with lots of situations/emotions.  We just took a break, hid behind that cloud of smoke, got our little hits of dopamine and everything became OK.  There is a whole world of YOU to be discovered now - and I think you will like what you find.  Lots of folks feel empowered to make changes instead of running away from the bad stuff. 

You will find your self-confidence will be at an all-time high when you quit smoking.  It is difficult, but you DID it!

Keep adding those days and enjoy your journey of discovery!

Nancy

JonesCarpeDiem

the holidays dredge up bad emotions for many and if you were covering them up with smoking, you have tto be aware and open to deal with them without cigarettes. that and holiday drinking

MarilynH

I'm so happy for you, keep that attitude and stay committed you are doing fantastic. 

Marilyn

dmkaiser83

Thanks guys. I'm confronting things and not just pushing them away anymore and I won't be doing any holiday drinking.

lois2

i know what you mean about smell, i smell things i don't want to girl. hang in there NOPE

GreenThumb3

I remimber smelling all the flavors of my Southern California smog driving down freeways  it is amazing what we smell ,stay strong