Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

THE NATURE OF NO MAN'S LAND:

stilltheredavid
0 13 18

Hi gang,

I have been reflecting about the idea of "No Man's Land" as presented to me here as that 3 to 5 month period which starts about a month after one has been able to stay off of cigarettes.

It has been preciesly during this time period, that I have had my last two relapses and as I shared about 4 days ago, I began having feelings (not exactly cravings) of wanting to smoke again. I just completed a month a couple of days ago. Giulia and some of the others gave me some really keen insight about what begins to happen here and it is in "knowing thy enemy" (this no man's land), that I hope to garner some strength.

What happens to me is that I begin to forget the discomfort of smoking and begin to forget the fight with cravings as both seem to begin to fade from my everyday thought processes. "By Jove, I think you've done it!" says a little voice to me at the end of the day as I realize I didn't even think about smoking.

That's when the trouble starts. It's almost as if my addcition gets a "second wind" and figures that now is the time to conjure up some new temptations. They go something like this: "Ok Buddy, you see that you can quit on a dime and in one week you're whistling Dixie, right? Well there you go! If you're that good at quitting there should be no trouble in just enjoying one little pack or a 3 day smoke week-end. I mean, you can always quit again, right? I mean, you're a pro by now. You've done this before. Get in tight with the EX group, drink lots of water, double dose Chantyx and bite the bullit for 1 to 2 weks and you're back on track, like ya never skipped a beat, ok buddy? So how about it' You've been such a good boy....you deserve just a one little pack...right?"

See that's how the scheme goes. But thanks to you guys I got another look at it.

The real nature of No Man's Land is that herein begins the true test of discipline! It's not just quitting. It's STAYING that defines us as true non-smokers. It's this phase of sly planning, slicker and smoother than any craving, that my QUIT is defined. It is now that my freedom is won, right here in No Man's Land.

So I tell you all, I accept this. Here I am and here I stand. The real test for me STARTS RIGHT NOW just when I thought I could get cocky and let my guard down. This phase may well be harder than the first 3 days!!!

That's the beauty of talking with you all about it. 

What are the risks of no man's land? The risk is becoming more and more jaded by short term quits that end in smoking again. The risk is losing my moral credit with this group and my belief in myself.

Now is the time to lift the sword even higher, in this apparent calm full of false bench marks.

Now is the time to start all over again with a beginners mind. I am new. Only one month old. I am nothing yet.

I lay close to the wall, small and mindful that any thought of smoking is the whisper of the devil and I am a child of God.

Thank you all, for your insight and love,

David (Barely a month old)

13 Comments
wishingstar

I really like how you expalined it. NML yes , NML has got me twice to.

Maryjo1953

Thanks for the blog, One little pack is exactly what I have been thinking lately.  I don't want to go back to the first 3 days of a quit - this is a true addiction.  Now I can make it home not going near a convenience store to buy that one little pack.  Thanks again, I needed to hear you.

whognu_1-2007

It's making the same choices you've made to get as far as you are for 4 more months. You are unlearning smoking and yes, it takes that long to build new memories without smoking so the thought of it is not the automatic response to everything.

You will know when you are out of it. It's sort of an epiphone but some people report it took longer than 4-5 months.

so....are you in it to win it?

You know what it takes. Stay the course

Magstoyou

Hi David

Thanks for your post. I feel I am at NML now. 51 days and still not smoking.  I am home right now with a knee problem and I am use to working part time. Working kept my mind off of smoking. I am going down on patches next week to the 7 mg and then in two week I am done with patches. Scares me to pull that last one off. Some one else on this site said it is like stop smoking with training wheels. Trying to stay real strong and a good attitude towards this quit. First thing I thought about the pain in my knee-a cig would help the pain. Wouldn't have helped-My mind thinking told me that it would. Thank again for posting. because that is where i am and will be for a long time-have to keep my gaurd up!!! 

marilyn_marmac

Exactly!!!! Your post was perfect! NML grabbed me this morning and I have spent the day fighting it. I posted earlier (35 days,12 hours, 44 minutes) and I know that it would be much more difficult to fight the craving if I hadn't already been warned and provided with information about NML!  The EX group helped me prepare for this phase and fight against it when it would be so easy to listen to that little voice in my head.

SarahP

Hi David,

I'm about to post the weekly NML blog and your blog here is a great lead-in! 

You're doing great, keep going! 

joyeuxencore

As usual David articulate and beautiful perspective...I am right there with you on it...

I had "Be Prepared Not Surprised" so prevalent in my thoughts and also "Kick It To The Curb" for when a smoking thought came up...

"Don't romance the cigarette"  these phrases got me through and I believe will be in use for the rest of my life...

emmysky

Thank you so much for your thoughts!  I haven't even made it a week yet but I'm already hearing that little voice.  It's good to know I'm not alone in that and it's good to know that there is a way through it! 

Nyima_1.6.13
  "Now is the time to lift the sword even higher, in this apparent calm full of false bench marks.
  Now is the time to start all over again with a beginners mind. I am new. Only one month old. I am nothing yet.
  I lay close to the wall, small and mindful that any thought of smoking is the whisper of the devil and I am a child of God."

i think he's got it!

Sootie

"It's not just quitting but STAYING that defines us as true non smokers......"

And there you have it....the essence of this process.

As Mark Twain used to say---"quitting smoking is easy---I've done it hundreds of times"

Jordan-11-1-12

You've got it, David.  You can do this!  You are smarter than the addiction and will win.

Brenda_M

Very thoughtful and accurate explanation of NML!

smorgy8513

I really liked this.   Per the calendar I've now entered NML.   I want to stay on this road and reach the end....whatever that looks like for me, I don't know except it will be without a cigarette in my mouth.

Love reading your blogs, your are articulate and descriptive, you write from the heart!