cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

THE NAIL IN THE COFFIN FOR ME

terrib325
1 22 41

Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011 is my 84th day of no cigarettes ~~ More properly put, December 2nd, 2010 was my quit day and I have absolutely kicked, beaten this nasty, dirty, expensive, ADDICTIVE habit. I would like to tell you about my adventure today.

Before I decided to quit smoking, our family was informed that my mother's brother had just found out he was dying of stage four lung cancer that had spread to his bones. My mom was taken aback because she had changed his diapers when he was younger, taken care of him when he was a little boy......my mom is going to be 70 April 13th.....he is 56. 

I had always known what smoking could do to me, but like most, was hard headed and didn't like people getting on me for smoking. Then there was THIS family member who had lung cancer. We went to see him in the hospital and this is the scenerio of how he found out: He smoked two to three packs a day. He had a terrible cough. His hip started to hurt him and he thought he had arthritis because it runs in the family.

A continuous cough, your hip starts hurting you out of the blue~You get a cane......no visits to the doctor  ......until you woke up and couldn't walk. By that time, after all tests were done, he was told you have stage four lung cancer that has moved to your bones. The reason you can't walk is because you have a tumor on your spine pressing up against your brain. So they did an operation to take that portion of his spine out so he could walk, but put a brace on that could never be removed. After that, they said there is nothing we can do for you because it has spread all throughout. Kind of get your ducks in a row so to speak.

He decided he wanted to die at home. Financially speaking he started having his sister do things for him to get those kind of things taken care of. Still smoking, though. I still smoked, my brother smoked, my sisters smoked, his kids smoked. We all still smoked.  Baffling, right?

I was at home, having my own thoughts of him, thinking....he's way too young to die in my opinion. My brother and I said, how about let's quit together. The sweetest words I could have heard. Although it was initially hard....I've done it.  I have had some thoughts that oh, maybe some day I can take a puff and I'll be okay. But I know that people who have done that, go right back to smoking and smoke more than they ever have.

So.........today my sister and I decided we were going to drive and go see this uncle. We know he's getting worse, but I was exposed to some things and saw some things that I know I will never smoke again.

As soon as I got into the car, the car smelled like smoke. After a two and a half hour drive, even stopping for lunch, I had the worst headache. We get to my uncle's house and it reaks of smoke. Both of his kids smoke. So I have three people smoking there.

My uncle woke up enough  because he loves White Castle Cheeseburgers..and they don't have one in Portland, MI.......so we took him some. He was excited. The man who could normally scarf down six, seven, eight.....could barely eat one, but was loving it.

Prior to him eating that....he looked at me and my sister and said, "Don't smoke." I thought that was really wild because his organs are shutting down and he's barely there......you're lucky if you get him awake for ten minutes.

My sister said, I quit for ten months and started again. When he looked at me, I said, today is my 84th day of no smoking...............He said to me, "How did you do it", and my response was, "YOU"!! I'm not really that close to him, but it was the truth.

I watched him barely eating...and noticed a bag on the side of his bed...I asked the hospice people what it was...they said that is his urine. I was so shocked because it was black as black can be. They said his organs are shutting down. I had tears as I do now because although I know you can die from cancer....I never saw it.........:(

By the time I got home, I not only still have a headache, I smelled like smoke......my chest hurt....my eyes were burning........my throat hurt and I had a cough.....and I said, so this is what non smokers feel like.

My point is and I wanted to share this experience is because if I ever had any doubts or thoughts about smoking..........this truly was the nail in the coffin to the end of smoking forever for me. They say, Never say never. I'M SAYING NEVER EVER WILL I SMOKE. WITHOUT ANY DOUBT.

I hope this has helped someone, will maybe  help someone. God bless all of you and protect your quit. Please.

22 Comments