cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

jimmypage
0 10 13

I just want to say a huge thank you to everyone who commented on my blog and especially Thomas for the information regarding GAD. I was terrified nobody would reply or take me seriously regarding my anxiety and I already feel so much better and committed to my quit knowing I have so much support.

I just wanted to ask for opinions on substitues. Allen Carr recommends not using any substitutes as you're only replacing one addiction with another and then you'll never know when you've truly 'kicked it', and this made a lot of sense to me. However I'm finding it difficult, and a lot of people have said that carrot or celery sticks helped a lot. So my question is, should I try the vegetable substitutes if I feel I need them or just try and push through? I don't want to feel like I have to replace smoking with something else, but I want to give myself the best chance of quitting.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated, have a great day everyone 😃

10 Comments
YoungAtHeart

Do the suggested reading and I think you will find the best quit method for YOU.  Do the tracking and separation exercises here on this site - and read blogs and pages of the elders to see their past blogs.  There is a wealth of information here to inform your OWN quit.

The idea is not necessarily to replace smoking with something else.  Your first line of  defense is to get busy.  Take a walk; take slow deep breaths, let ice cubes melt in your mouth, snap a rubberband around your wrist, clean out a drawer, call a friend.  You will need these more often in the first 2-3 weeks when a crave hits.  It does take some effort in the early days, but less so as time moves on.  As a last resort, maybe sugarfree gum, mints, cut up straws.  You should keep a cold bottle of water handy ALL the time. to sip from.

Nancy

JonesCarpeDiem

you aren't  smoking the vegetables are you? 🙂

If not, I don't think your are substituting.

I used the patch during my first two weeks. Been quit almost 9 years.

Never read Alan Carr. Received support on another site after those first two weeks.

No substitute will keep a quit nor will Alan Carr.

You are in charge.

tjanddj

I am one that did not use a substitute. I did use the opportunity to learn, improve and do other things. There is always something out there to do, no need to sit around and mope about not smoking, it is time to go forward and rejoice in your quit! I know you will make the right choice for yourself as whether to use a substitute or not just don't smoke. 

Thomas3.20.2010
I understand you like exercise? That's a healthy distraction from cravings as are the veggies.The subs Allen Carr referred to were mainly Nicotine Replacement Therapies. Some of us have chosen to use them. I did not. But as long as you adjust your thinking it may be helpful. Keep reading!
sam22-2

I used half piece of gum I think twice a day for three days after my quit. All the patches made me sick and the gum did too. So I couldn't use them long.  I had stomach ulcers. I admit to chewing a toothpick ( never used them before) anti sensitivity toothpaste I noticed before I quit made smoking after I brushed taste terrible. I admit I used to eat a sour straw before going to bed and i might be add cited to eating one now. At first it was a jolly rancher. Feels like it wakes up my taste buds.

oct 1 is my second anniversary and all these people here helped me through my roller coaster of emotions. I recommend this site to anyone I know trying to quit. I have anxiety so I understand. My son suffers from it worse than me he is 8. 

Oh and pretzel sticks 🙂

MarilynH

Carrots and celery sticks are healthy and are not a substitute for smoking but is just a healthy distraction if and when a craving comes along you can chomp on a carrot or celery stick.stay strong in your resolve to quit smoking because you are stronger than any craving or urge, hang tough you can succeed in your quit. 

Marilyn 

Giulia

You do WHATEVER YOU NEED TO DO to keep your quit.  If that means standing on your head and eating a carrot - that's what it means for you.  You take what WORKS and toss what doesn't.  But experimentation is part of this quittiing process.  We make our own journeys defined by what works and what doesn't for us.  I "pretend smoked" straws when I first quit nine years ago.  A couple of days ago I had a craving that just settled into my being like it was a day one.    I placed my two fingers together, put them up agaiinst my lips and took a drag.  And another.  And another.  And inhaled long deep breaths of fresh clean air.  And got over it.  Because cravings never last that long.  I'm not gonna become addicted to finger smoking.

My point?  My two fingers became my substitute in that out-of-the-blue craving.  Totally harmless.  Totally effective.  A carrot is not an addictive substance.nor is a piece of celery. (Unless maybe you're a rabbit!)   EAT THEM.  USE them as a substitute if you need to.   They're GOOD for you.  Carr is talking about the unhealthy substitutes.   Geez Louise.  If we start overthinking this process we'd be concerned we'd overdose on Vitamin A from all the carrots we've eaten and kidney explosion from all the water we've consumed!  lol 

Keep it simple.  Use what works.  Toss what doesn't.  And be sure to keep a sense of humor aboutcha!

amanda_100

I agree with what the others have said. You need to find what works for you. And don't beat yourself up if you use a nic replacement. It's better than smoking. I quit 27 days ago, and I used to smoke 1 pack a day. In the first week, I had about 4 lozenges a day, and now I just have one or two max per day. It helped me to get through the physical cravings so that I could focus more on the psychological - which is much harder to break if you ask me!

jimmypage

Thanks for all the suggestions. I know you are all right, I need to find what works for me regardless of what Allen Carr or anyone else says as they can't quit for me! I've cut up my carrot sticks, so let's see how it goes 😃

jimmypage

Oh and btw, no I don't plan on smoking them lol