Straws and flavored toothpicks have helped many

JonesCarpeDiem
3 11 112

In the beginning of your quit, and, for quite awhile,

It feels unnatural to not smoke.

We can get fidgety after we quit.

Which can lead to discombobulation.

discombobulation-iganhasche-ez-burger-00m-33899329 (1).png

I cut a straw into thirds and I would chew on them.

It released the unease and tension created by not smoking.

Some use flavored toothpicks.

A rubber band on the wrist.

Find your distraction.

It's easier to let go of later than letting go of smoking seems now.

11 Comments
SimplySheri

Butterscotches for me and clicking my pen when feeling anxious   It helped tremendously. 

JonesCarpeDiem

I also used wint-o-green lifesavers

SimplySheri

The best kind of lifesavers!!  I love them  

Barbscloud

I didn't cut straws. I use coffee stirrers instead

YoungAtHeart

We had a quitter here in years past who made their OWN flavored toothpicks.  They would soak them in OJ or lemon juice,or fruit punches or even hot sauce (I think). I bet vodka would work, too Be adventurous - just soak and let dry.

MarilynH

I used carrot and celery sticks and kept a bag of sugar free mints around....

Christine13

I use peppermints in the car, love the winter green lifesavers!!

Thanks for the tips.  I also chew sugarfree gum.

Giulia

I sucked on a sports bottle of water, one with those little nipple tops.  Also drank green tea which helped curb cravings.

Daniela2016

Ha, then don't do like me: I ate chocolate covered raisins, bought by the pound at Sprouts   Did not care about the immediate impact (blood sugar), I cared later about the weight gain.

In the car I had the almost healthy roasted sunflower seeds (not totally healthy because they are also salted, don't like any other variety).

Do what people before me said they did

I am still salivating just looking at them...

Image result for chocolate covered raisins by the pound

Mandolinrain

Black licorice   and loads of water

Susie49

I bought fluorescent colored straws and matched them to what I was wearing (Bar tending of all things) cut them in thirds and they were my cig of the day..I learned to take deep inhales sucking on the straws and that helps...lung exercise too... Just keep it up and enjoy the cash in your pocket!!

About the Author
Hello, My name is Dale. I was quit 18 months before joining this site and had participated on another site during that time. I learned a lot there and brought it with me. I joined this site the first week of August 2008. I didn't pressure myself to quit. HOW I QUIT I didn't count, I didn't deny myself to get started. When I considered quitting (at a friends request to influence his brother to quit), I simply told myself to wait a little longer. No denial, nothing painful. After 4 weeks I was down to 5 cigarettes from a pack a day. The strength came from proving to myself, I didn't need to smoke because I normally would have smoked. Simple yes? I bought the patch. I forgot to put one on on the 4th day. I needed it the next day but the following week I forgot two days in a row I put one in my wallet with a promise to myself that I would slap it on and wait an hour rather than smoke. It rode in my wallet my first year.There's nothing keeping any of you from doing this. It doesn't cost a dime. This is about unlearning something you've done for a long time. The nicotine isn't the hard part. Disconnecting from the psychological pull, the memories and connected emotions is. :-) Time is the healer.