cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Still here

enigmatik2
3 12 141

So today is day 19 without a cigarette.  I used patches for the first 7 days then wanted all nicotine out of my system so didn't use anything after day 7.   I was doing good until I went to a friend's house who was having a party for her 10-year-old son.  I was sitting in her living room and there were 11 adults there.  9 of them were smoking.  It smelled so good and I wanted so badly to join in with them and smoke.  I didn't have any cigarettes so I didn't, but then I came home and for the next two days I was feeling all crappy and sorry for myself.  I thought about smoking 24/7 and kept thinking, "I love to smoke.  Why am I depriving myself like this?".  Then I was here at this website and I accidentally clicked something and a blog post popped up that listed a long list of diseases that are caused by smoking.  Now, that's the whole reason I quit smoking because I'm absolutely terrified of getting a smoking-related illness.  So I read that long list and knew right away why I was depriving mysdelf of something I love to do!  After that I felt so much better about my quit and stopped telling myself I wanted to smoke.

I browse the posts over at quitnet and all these people are like "I breathe so much better now" or "I got so many benefits from quitting".  I felt bad because I haven't noticed any difference since I quit smoking.  Then yesterday my roommate said, "You haven't been coughing".  I said, "What are you talking about?  I never had a cough".  He said, "You don't clear your throat anympore".  Then I remembered!  I used to always have gunk in my throat and I would have to clear my throat constantly.  I had a job at a call center and I was always trying to clear my throat to talk to the customers.  I hadn't noticed that that has stopped!  Woo hoo!

12 Comments
About the Author
I'm 47 and live in NE Ohio. I smoked for 23 years. I quit on Dec. 19, 2016. I don't really want to quit because I love smoking. Love the smell, the taste, the act. But it's too expensive and it's bad for you so I'm quitting anyway even though I don't really want to. Just gotta do it anyway.